Class System in KY Baseball?

Clyde

You are the one choosing to be offended. No one is discounting you in any way, most just disagree and your reasoning is not strong enough to change those ideas. Simple. Don't be offended, your position is yours and everyone respects that. We just happen to strongly disagree and we too have very good reasons to do so.

At the Coaches Clinic and convention this past Friday and Saturday 84 of the 89 respondents (head coaches only) to a questionnaire passed out at the meeting voted in favor of classification. That is very strong folks. People who are passionate about the game and the youth that play it are in favor of classification. It has NOTHING to do with trophies or fans wishes, or anything of the sort. It is what those who work in the game believe is best for the game, the student athletes and the schools. And by the way, this initiative involves softball, soccer and volleyball as well.

Would schools have the option to play up if they so choose or has such finer details not really been discussed?

Did you hear anything about the results of the voting in the other sports (assuming they took one)?

What would be the next step from here for this to become a reality?

Your best guess estimate that this classification actually happens?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would schools have the option to play up if they so choose or has such finer details not really been discussed?

Did you hear anything about the results of the voting in the other sports (assuming they took one)?

What would be the next step from here for this to become a reality?

Your best guess estimate that this classification actually happens?

I don't think schools, could play up. The classification is being considered, to resolve the disparity with the current set-up.

I'm like bulldog77, only know about the Baseball portion and nothing else, other than it was mentioned by Julian.

Next step, is BOC discussion and approval from anything submitted by the KHSBCA sub-committee, on this issue. Implementation, would probably take 1-2 years once it's approved.

I think classification will happen, but probably not till 2011 or later. By the way, great seeing bulldog77 and many others, this past weekend.

Perhaps offer teams that want to do so the opportunity to play up. I'm sure Dayton, Villa, Ludlow, Walton, Heritage and many others might like the compete for a championship against teams in their own "market."

As a former player from one of these "small market (?)" schools I think this would give the players a unique opportunity.

Take Villa for example. School of at most 190 students. 90 or so of them are guys. You field a team of 20 kids. Thats over 20% of the male athletes at that school on the team. Now take a school with 1500 students, Take the top 20%... thats 300 people thats more then the number kids that you have trying out for the baseball team in general. You getting what is likely the best of the best. Just from sheer odds alone quantity drives quality.

If this idea of "one state champion" really appeals so much to everyone why not have a run off tournament at the season after the division championships are figured out. I don't think it would lead to their being a major rift in the length of the season because all the classes could play at the same time. For instance, the A championship could maybe be held at the Florence Freedom, the AA at another prime facility (UK maybe (?)) and the AAA at applebees park.

I hear that there is a meeting coming up where baseball and soccer will get the chance to stress the need for a class system in those sports.

I'd be good with a 4-class system in baseball.

Per the KHSAA, no changes for baseball in 2009. There will be changes in 2010 and beyond. The contact was not at liberty to discuss.