Man Throws Shoes at Bush on Iraq trip

halfback20

LINK

A surprise visit by US President George Bush to Iraq has been overshadowed by an incident in which two shoes were thrown at him during a news conference.

An Iraqi journalist was wrestled to the floor by security guards after he called Mr Bush "a dog" and threw his footwear, just missing the president.

The soles of shoes are considered the ultimate insult in Arab culture.

During the trip, Mr Bush and Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki signed the new security agreement between their countries.

The pact calls for US troops to leave Iraq in 2011 - eight years after the 2003 invasion that has in part defined the Bush presidency.

Speaking just over five weeks before he hands over power to Barack Obama, Mr Bush also said the war in Iraq was not over and more work remained to be done.

His previously unannounced visit came a day after US Defence Secretary Robert Gates told US troops the Iraq mission was in its "endgame".

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does a man throwing shoes at your president qualify as a "political" story?

Why not? He wasn't throwing the shoe at George W. Bush, cattle farmer out strolling on his ranch. He was throwing the shoe at President of the United States George W. Bush, on an official trip to a country that we supposedly set out to liberate. This man is not mad at GWB the man, but GWB the president.

Why not? He wasn't throwing the shoe at George W. Bush, cattle farmer out strolling on his ranch. He was throwing the shoe at President of the United States George W. Bush, on an official trip to a country that we supposedly set out to liberate. This man is not mad at GWB the man, but GWB the president.
The man was not launching his shoes at Bush, the Republican - he was aiming at Bush, the US President. If Obama holds a press conference in Baghdad, then he better be just as prepared to duck as Bush was. :lol:

The man was not launching his shoes at Bush, the Republican - he was aiming at Bush, the US President. If Obama holds a press conference in Baghdad, then he better be just as prepared to duck as Bush was. :lol:

If I can follow along properly I think you two agree especially since B&G said "GWB the President."

This type of incident does show President Bush at his best - off the cuff.

And in case anyone ever wondered how far away the Secret Service is during these types of Q&As, we now know.

The lowest form of the way you feel about someone for those people. Now we saw them buring our flag and using their shoes on the flag. Time to get out.

I don't think this shows that we need to get out. We've been there for long enough. I want to get out when the job is done, and then only.

With that said, that was one hell of a throw by the Iraqi and some great reflexes by Mr. President.

The lowest form of the way you feel about someone for those people. Now we saw them buring our flag and using their shoes on the flag. Time to get out.

I agree. I think some people over here would like to do the same thing if they had the chance. Its sad to see so many lives and so much money lost trying to police the world.

It's not quite time but the time is getting closer. Also, don't assume that the action of one young man reflects the feelings of all Iraqis. Certainly some want us out immediately, but many are very greatful that we're there and don't want us to leave just yet.