BGP Scholarships Available Here (ONLY TWO DAYS LEFT)

Mr.Network

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks SportGuy

I'm not really sure where either coach went after their short careers at CCH. This was well before my time and actually when my dad was in high school. I asked a few "older" CCH grads about this and to their knowledge they always thought both left coaching all together. If anyone else has info as to where these two coaches went to we would love to have it.

I would love to see some history of the beechies and the birds if anyone is planning on doing either of these great programs.

Boyle County

In 1963 Boyle County started a football program with coach Jim Farley. They went 9-0 this year but were not allowed to participate in the playoffs because it was their first year. In 1965 Boyle County was coached by Dennis Sexton and went 6-2-2 and were District Champions. Boyle County only allowed 534 Rushing Yards this year. In 1966 Sexton returned and went 7-1-2 Allowing only 1,109 Yards. In 1967 Coach Sexton was replaced with coach Jim Greer who stayed at Boyle County for two years, each with a 0-10 record. In 1969 John Buchanan came and coached for the Rebels and led them to a 9-1-1 record. Buchanan went 5-6 in 1970, 3-7-1 in 1971, 1-10 in 1973 and during his last year at Boyle Buchanan we 7-4 in 1973. After Buchanan left Ed Rall came to Boyle County in 1974 and the Rebels went 8-3. In 1975 Boyle went 9-2 and only allowed 191 Passing Yards the whole season. In 1976 Ed Rall led Boyle to a 10-2 record and CKC Bowl Champions. In 77 Boyle won there District and had a 8-4 record. In 1978 Boyle was the CKC Bowl Runner Up and only went 6-5. In 1979 BC went 9-1 and were the CKC Champions. From 1980 to 1987 Ed Rall had 4 winning season, 1 even season and 3 losing season at Boyle. In 1982 Boyle won their District and the CKC Championship. In 1988 Sam Burke coached the Rebels and led them to a 2-8 season. In 1989 Burke was replaced with John Griggs who led the Rebels to a 1-10 season in 89, a 3-8 season in 90, and a 1-9 season in 91. In 1992 Chuck Smith came to Boyle county and the Rebels were 3rd in district and went 7-4. In 93 BC went 2-8, in 94 Boyle made it to the Quarter Finals and went 9-4, in 95 Boyle went 10-3 and made it too the Quarter Finals. In 1996 Boyle went 11-3 and were Semi-Finals Regional Champions and had a total of 762 Offensive Plays. In 1997 Boyle won the District and were Semi Finalists and went 11-1. Bart Johnson finished the season with a 63.3% Pass Completion rate. In 98 Boyle went 7-5. Bart Johnson had 2,775 Passing Yards, 377 Passing Attempts and 206 Passing Compilations for a 54.6% Pass Completion rate. In 1999 Boyle County went 15-0 and were crowned AA State Champions. This was the first Championship in School history. Matt Quinn had 5 blocked punts throughout the whole season and the Rebels averaged 7.6 yards per snap. In 2000 the Rebels did it again. They finished their season 15-0 with another AA State Championship. Taylor Begley kicked 17 field goals, 97 Extra Points. Jeff Duggins had a 64.5% Pass Completion Rate. The Rebels scored a total of 797 points and averaged 53.1 points per game. Boyle had 7,163 Total Offensive Yards and only allowed 797 Rushing Yards. In 2001 Boyle County moved up from AA to AAA and had a 30-0 record. Boyle County suprised Kentucky and went 15-0 again and won the AAA State Championship. David Jennings kicked 91 Extra Points this year and Jeff Duggins had a 66% Pass Completion rate, he threw for 40 Touchdown. Boyle only allowed 1,559 yards and 556 of them were rushing. In 2002 Boyle went into the season with a 45-0 Game Winning Streak on their shoulders. They went 13-2 this year and were AAA State Champions. This year they tied the record for the most consecutive State Championship Wins with 4. They were led by Brandon Smith and graduated 12 Seniors.

**COACHING RECORDS**

Jim Farley (9-0) 100%

Dennis Sexton (13-3-4) 65%

Jim Greer (0-20) 0%

John Buchanan (22-31-2) 40%

Ed Rall (94-57) 62%

Sam Burke (2-8) 20%

John Griggs (5-27) 16%

Chuck Smith (115-30) 79%

**TOTALS**

Win Lost Tied

260-176-6 59%

3 CKC Bowl Championships

4 State Championships

Originally posted by CCH1885

Ok SportsGuy tell me the story. I can't believe i'm asking a beechwood guy for help.:mad:

No I was just wondering if you knew, for like extra credit, maybe an extention on your POSSIBLE scholarship as I am sponsoring some, (OM) I am could actually be sponsoring a CCH guy ? :) j/k .. I had a few cousins who went there as well as Notre Dame, not a bad place, I guess...

Steve Rasso is at Cin.St. Xavier, been there ver since he left CCH.. Rudy Tassini finished up his coaching at Lloyd in the mid '90's....

As far as Beechwood's history, well I hope a student post something, if not i'll do something on them at a later date..

Also, were you at the basketball game tonight? I was there scouting, no, not for the Beechies :) ...If so I hope that was you who made the half court sky hook shot at half time, you can buy me dinner P)) j/k see ya....

SportsGuy,

No sorry I wasn't at the game. Finals start Monday at UK so I have been studying instead of going to games:( . Thanks again for the info on Rasso and Tassini. I never put two and two together when i would hear about Rasso at X. His career at St. X has been awesome so i'm glad it started at CCH. Also thanks again to Sportsguy and all the other members for their help with paying students ways on BGP. :thumb:

Originally posted by theguru

The new (and final) deadline is 12-23.

25 or 30 but we do not have to award them all and no one will be given a scholarship for a lackluster effort.

Probably a couple of days after the deadline.

You sould announce the winners on 12-25, would be a great christmas present

I have already paid but I will do this for maybe next year or even this year if you can give me credit somehow. I am a student UK and a graduate of Boyle County.

Boyle County football may not have the rich tradition of the other big name schools like the Trinity’s, the Male’s or even the Danville’s however they have had their fair share of success. The first year of Boyle County football would date back to the year 1963 and in that year they went 9-0. I heard some players from that team say that it was just a group of kids that would go out and play their hearts out and would practice by the old Junction School I believe and there were less than 20 players on the team. Many say had this team been able to play for a state championship they could of won it however since this was their first year of football, they couldn’t compete for any championships. I can’t name any players from this team though and I probably can’t even name any players till the 90’s. In the 60’s they had a little success and this would lead to a fairly good next 10 years of football. In the early 70’s coach John Buchanan wasn’t having much luck winning many game he had only 2 winning seasons so they hired a coach by the name of Ed Rall. Ed had several good football players and a lot of success. Other Rebel fans it’d be great to help me out with some of the names of people on these early teams before the 90’s. Coach Rall has one of the longest coaching tenures in his 13 years of coach at the county he lead them to a 83-47 record and only having 3 loosing seasons. The years after coach Rall weren’t so great. After he left in 1987 former player at Danville and player at Georgia Tech, coach Sam Burke took over the rebel football program for a year. This team went 2-8 and the next 3 years weren’t so hot either. John Griggs came in and took over the program for the next 3 years and he only won 5 ball games and he was finally shipped out in 1992 when coach Chuck Smith came in. In his first year of coaching the Rebel program he lead them to a 7-4 season and their first playoffs since the 80’s. The next year wasn’t that hot and he only won 2 ball games that year going 2-8 with some very lopsided losses. But the next few years under Smith they did really well. In 94 and 95 they just couldn’t get over the hump and couldn’t over come the Regional finals game but in 96 they compiled a 11-3 record under the guidance of QB Bart Johnson and they went to Breathitt Count and lost a heartbreak 12-7. To get to this game, Boyle beat Rockastle 17-14 off of a field goal in the pouring down rain in overtime at Rockastle. The second game they were pitted against their cross town rival Danville and they wont that game 12-0 in a thriller. The next game they traveled to Madison Southern and were down with less than 2 minutes to go in the ball game 28-22 and they got the ball back deep in their own territory and with Bartley Johnson and the helm, the lead them to the end zone for a score and maybe one of the greatest games in Boyle County football. In 97 they had a lot coming back. They had their QB coming back, talented wide receivers in Neal Brown, a good O-Line and a talented defense. They went 10-0 in the regular season and were favored to win the state championship however they were upset in the second round of the playoffs by eventual state champ Bourbon County in the “mud” bowl. Bourbon had two great running backs in wiggles worth and Tim Persian. They just ran all over the Boyle D. In 1998, they were expecting to have a good year however injuries plagued them all year long and behind a young O-line Bart didn’t have much time to throw the ball. However, in1999 Boyle was loaded with talent and really wasn’t expected to do that much. They had a good o-line for the next two years that would be junior oriented with 5 juniors starting. Starting at QB would be eventual Mr. Football Jeff Duggins and at LB/TE is eventual freshmen all American Bobby Leffew. Their D was tenacious. The next year boyle had their nucleus of the previous years state title team. They were preseason favorites in all the polls and demolished about everyone they played. They beat their cross-town rival Danville in a manor of 47-0. Kind of ironic the streak ended at that and to Danville. But anways the 2000 teams was in my opinion the best team ever at boyle county. They had the eventual Mr. Football in Duggins at QB, at RB they hard a hard nosed runner in Quinn, they had a fast WR in miller who now plays at eastern, a talented but not big offensive line, and their D was just unreal. On the D-line they had 2 future Louisville players in Justin Nichols and Travis Leffew, at LB’s were Webb, Quinn, McCoy, Duggins, and in the secondary you had boomer Johnson, miller, and Tamme for part of the year. This team was loaded and they proved that all throughout the season by just killing pretty much everyone they played. The next year boyle wasn’t expected to do much. They lost pretty much all of the previous years team and were supposed to be in a rebuilding year. During the regular season they had only one close game and that was to Danville and many people counted boyle out after this game. However, they worked their butts off for the next 12 weeks and ended up playing on the carpet and beating Rockastle for their 3rd straight title. Bu to get their they played a better team in Hopkinsville which many called the state title game the past two years in what was probably one of the top games I have ever seen in high school football. To top off the state title Duggins led the UK team down to Knoxville as Mr. Football and played an outstanding game. He then goes on to a small school in NY, Alfred State, and wins pretty much every award that a freshman can win. Everyone said that would be boyle’s down year b/c they moved up a class but again…the proved critics wrong. This past season boyle was going for the “streak:” and I think they overlooked their opponent Danville who stopped the streak. They won in routes the first few ball games but Danville just stomped boyle’s tails in week 3 and busted the bubble. Then, 2 weeks later they loose to west jess amine 13-7 and everyone including myself got very ticked off at the rebels. People even on here started doubting them but again, coach smith turns it up a couple notches and the players start believing in one another and they end up playing in Louisville in their 4th straight state title game and again they beat Rockastle who was supposed to be one of the better teams in the state. Boyle pretty much only had one scare after the west jess amine game and that was to a very talented ball club in Hopkinsville at rebel stadium.

To conclude, the Rebel football program has been around for a while and had success on and off during the 70’s and 80’s but I really think this program took a turn for the good back in 1992 when chuck smith arrived on campus. He got the athletes in the school to come out and play and he disciplined them to eat sleep and dream about football. My hats off to chuck smith for putting Boyle county football on the map.

GO REBS!!

okay here is the deal...

a few weeks ago i posted some history on montgomery county football, this was before the announcemnet was made that we were free to post on any sport, i must admit i don't know too much about football at mchs but i have some b-ball knowledge, i just finished up my finals at uk (friday) some i'm going to post some b-ball info, (if you want please disregard the football info and focus on this)

i hope you enjoy the info but even if i don't win a scholarship i must say i will have a blast writing this, i'm going to start about 8 years ago because that is when i really started following the team and that is when we became a squad to contend with

1994-1995 season: (22-8) billy ray fawns (who went on to play at georgetown college) outdueld shawn myrick (who went on to play at cincy) as fawns had 49 and myrick 42 as montgomery outlasted mason in the region finals to put the indians in their first ever sweet 16, fawns hit a three with about :12 left in regulation to force ot, he came up big in ot hitting another late three to force double ot at the fieldhouse, in the 2nd overtime with ryan stegar and many of the other indian starters fouled out, seldom used junior chris congelton buried a beyond nba range three to give the indians the lead for good

the first round of the sweet 16 saw the indians play paintsville which featured freshmen todd tackett (clemson and uky) and jr vanhoose (marshall), fawns again hit a three with only a few seconds to go to force ot and the indians hit there free throws before a very large and loud montomgery crowd at rupp arena

the next match was the quarterfinals and the indians fell to the quickness and trapping style of louisville prp which featured point guard charlie taylor (u of L) and 6-10 michael lockhart, this ended a magical run for the indians who had two players (lee clemons and ryan stegar) hit shots from beyond half court at the end of quarters,

billy ray fawns ended his career with 1865 points and 972 boards in 112 games (an average of 16.6 points and 8.6 rebounds for his career0 and oh yeah, fawns was 6'8

1995-1996: (18-11) The indians again found themselves in the region finals but, due to intense flooding, the final game was moved from saturday night to sunday afternoon, an odd time to play a regional final which made for an odd atmosphere, the harrison county thourghobreds defeated the indians in the finals behind a packed in 2-3 zone and the stellar play of big man rob ogden (georgetown college), ogden blocked stegars's final shot from the baseline, seniors ryan stegar, bradley taylor, kirk hammonds, ryan owens, chris congelton, nathan shortridge, and aaron piersal closed out their careers as indians (stegar closed out his career with 836 points), bart rison invited to be a coach in the ky-indiana all star game

1996-1997 (9-19)

A somewhat rebuilding year for the indians, many seniors quit or were injured leaving lee clemons as the team's only experienced senior, clemons, who also played qb for the tribe, did all he could but struggled trying to carry the load, juniors brandon harris, brad howard and cornell king also started

1997-1998 (12-17)

The big three of harris, howard and king could not lead the indians to much success.

1998-1999 (23-7)

A surprising senior class really stepped up for the indians. 6'2 william strange was a strong workhorse underneath, josh hall really shot up from the previous year to about 6'6 or 6'7 he provided the team with a much needed inside presence, hondo hearne and kc jones transeferred in from powell county last year and hearne scored a lot of points for the indians while jones provided a three point threat, logan richmond also gave the team size, quinn stevens and jr dj jointer were the teams key guards along with kevin roberts, steven early was a threat from the wing

brandon snowden (berea) was another big man

1999-2000

Athlete dj jointer who was also an all-state soccer player was a tremdous gurad for the indians, the only other senior was guard travis montgomery who was a scrappy player that was mr hustle, jv coaches son akeem scott (campbellsville u) was one of the team's top guards, chris early (transy) was another guard, three sophomores received playing time, all football players to, chris mullins (union) derrick carty and joe manning

2000-2001

Chris mullins was the teams top player, a tough inside presence he led the team to the semifinals of the region where they fell to campbell county and kevin reinhardt, akeem scott also contributed heavily

2001-2002

One of the greatest indian teams ever was led by 5 seniors. Guards matt parker and will toy, forward derrick cary and big men chris mullins and cody nickels, they led the team to the region finals where they fell to the mason county royals in overtime, it was a classic battle as mullins finished with 30 and chris lofton absolutely lit it up from behind the arc for the royals, the tribe lost all three of its meetings with the royals but beat the clark county cardinals twice

2002-2003

so far a rebuilding year for the indians, they are led by senior brandon bromagen, the jayvee teams was undeafted last time i checked, look for the indians to be back to normal in a year or two

some stats:

bart rison has been head coach since 1986

top scorers (85-99)'

billy ray fawns 1865

neal howard 1629

ryan stegar 1470

ken lee 1358

jeff taylor 1263

lee clemons 974

stephen donithan 971

chris clemons 964

keith piesawl 937