The Apple Bowl (Johnson Central vs. Paintsville) Is No More?

EKUAlum05

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did they stop doing the Big Sandy Bowl? I remember playing Paintsville in that back in 1988 when at Bellevue. I think Johnson Central played in the opening game of that bowl but I forgetwho they played.

The last Big Sandy Bowl was played in 2003, the year before Coach Matney arrived.

As much as I like Raceland, signing that deal is upsetting... :irked:

Ashland refused to continue the series with my team because Prestonsburg wouldn't cave to Ashland's insistance on playing both games in Putnam Stadium.

It's far past time for the Tomcats to realize they are NOT the dominant force they were many years ago and treat with other schools on an equal basis. But I suppose as long as teams like Raceland will allow it, the Tomcats will continue just the same.

Can't blame Ashland when they get away with it. It would be like blaming a spoiled child for getting whatever it wants.

:sssh:

Really, it is a pretty good financial set up for Raceland. Raceland gets a pretty good payday, every year, for playing at Ashland each year. I would venture to say that the money is more then most schools make on a home game.

Really, it is a pretty good financial set up for Raceland. Raceland gets a pretty good payday, every year, for playing at Ashland each year. I would venture to say that the money is more then most schools make on a home game.

Well, that's good.

Aww...pay not attention to me. It's not as if the way you all deal with Ashland is any of my business anyway. ;) :lol:

This is not a good move for Paintsville to make. They can't draw big enough crowds in every home game for two years and make what they make this single game. The money made on this game pays for their program for a two year period (That is a fact I don't care who says otherwise.) Johnson Central is not going to agree to play a double header and why should they? Splitting the gate will be like Johnson Central fans donating money to Paintsville program because it don't matter who Paintsville plays the crowd for their game isn't going to be near the size of what Johnson Central will draw for their game because there is more interest in JCHS football.

You know for years when Paintsville was beating Johnson Central there was no talk about dropping the series. Johnson Central never tried to DODGE Paintsville no matter what. Tiger fans now say “Oh but Paintsville is a singe A school and JCHS is a 5A School,” that didn’t matter ten years ago so don’t buy that. Another excuse you will hear “Neither team benefits from this game.” No, but for years the kids from JCHS were the punch line of jokes and they were looked down upon in their own community. What goes around comes around!

Last but not least, the most common excuse Paintsville administration, fans, and coaches use is “well Paintsville wasn’t beating JCHS by 50 every year.” Well my only comment to that one is “Don’t cry and go home. LEARN how to play DEFENSE.”

Great post! The only reason to play this game is for PHS to make money. JC can draw an Apple Bowl crowd with others teams anytime. The loss of the Apple Bowl money will be devastating to PHS. This will be the first blow of many that will start the decline of the PHS system. Regaurdless of what the faithfull PHS fans say, the financial outlook for the sytem is bleak. With the JC kids staying home, PHS will have less talent to draw off of.

When it came down to crunch time PHS waved the wihite flag and said we have had enough, that is the most fitting record JC fans can ever from this series.

When it came down to crunch time PHS waved the wihite flag and said we have had enough, that is the most fitting record JC fans can ever from this series.

Amen. That alone should put an asterisk beside the all-time series mark.

20-15 * (PHS retired from series due to excessive consecutive beatings, 2008)

That's about how it should read in the official records page in our programs next year, for the sake of clarity.

That's right. The Tigers QUIT, relaying the message to their school, kids, and community that they are not good enough to compete with Johnson Central anymore. That's a sad message to send to kids who have fathers, brother, uncles, and cousins who played in this game and won. Your not good enough but they were. Good message to send to your kids. Johnson Central will benefit more from this than Paintsville. Just sit back and let things unfold.

During the years when Walter Brugh was running up the score on JC no one was talking about quiting. Small schools compete against big schools all over the state. Paintsville should be ashamed. Maybe everyone should stop playing basketball against Paintsville and make them travel to other states to get games.

I can understand why Paintsville doesn't feel they have to play a local rival that has four times their enrollment and has pounded them with regularity in recent years.

I am amazed at how upset some of the Johnson Central fans are about it. In reality, this is a good move for their program if they go out and schedule a tougher opponent.

During the years when Walter Brugh was running up the score on JC no one was talking about quiting. Small schools compete against big schools all over the state. Paintsville should be ashamed. Maybe everyone should stop playing basketball against Paintsville and make them travel to other states to get games.

I know this thread is about the Apple Bowl but I agree. What will Paintsville do when they do not dominate in basketball or baseball, quit? This is close to happening and maybe this year.

This just shows the condition of the City of Paintsville and the school system and says alot about what they do when things get tough. Johnsonville had the grit to stick it out and never did quit when things got tough, Paintsville can not say that.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but it seems you guys are being very tough on Paintsville. If they do not want to schedule JCHS anymore, move on and fill out your schedule. If you are a PHS fan and you are mad about it, move on. The administration has made a decision that they believe is best for their school and that is that. If you want to be in charge of the PHS athletic department and are qualified for the position, go and apply. If not, move on and find another opponent. I am sure JCHS can find another school in or around Johnson County to play. If not, as others have mentioned previously, schedule a NKY school and get yourself ready for the playoffs. Let's face it, you'll get more out of playing HHS or CCHS than you will Paintsville. This is probably a blessing in disguise. IMO, both teams will eventually benefit from this administrative decision.

I can understand why Paintsville doesn't feel they have to play a local rival that has four times their enrollment and has pounded them with regularity in recent years.

I am amazed at how upset some of the Johnson Central fans are about it. In reality, this is a good move for their program if they go out and schedule a tougher opponent.

All the vinegar we're reading seems to be in direct contradiction to previous Central fans' assertions that its team has moved on from the days when "beating Paintsville" defined a successful season.

If this is the case, it makes one wonder if Central football could possibly lose a degree of focus in not having the Apple Bowl (ie...enjoy a Paintsville "beat down").

I find all this incredibly disappointing... :creepy:

All the vinegar we're reading seems to be in direct contradiction to previous Central fans' assertions that its team has moved on from the days when "beating Paintsville" defined a successful season.

If this is the case, it makes one wonder if Central football could possibly lose a degree of focus in not having the Apple Bowl (ie...enjoy a Paintsville "beat down").

I find all this incredibly disappointing... :creepy:

Do not worry about losing focus. The rivalry had lost it lustre to most Central fans. It is done and over, no more fun. We now focus on teams like Belfry and the boys from NKY. Alot more fun and more rewarding. Losing the Apple Bowl is sad, getting a state title is pricless.

Do not worry about losing focus. The rivalry had lost it lustre to most Central fans. It is done and over, no more fun. We now focus on teams like Belfry and the boys from NKY. Alot more fun and more rewarding. Losing the Apple Bowl is sad, getting a state title is pricless.

I don't know about all that.

Winning a state title would be nice and all, but most of us know that with the machines in NKY, that's probably never going to happen in 5A (not for us, or for any other team not named Highlands or Covington Catholic). Probably the best we can realistically hope for is to shoot for being the best team in EKY, which usually means competing with Bell and Belfry, unless we miraculously have some ex-NFL players move into the area and bring their sons who run 4.25 40s and bench 400.

But for those of us who go back a couple of decades, beating the Tigers...that's ALWAYS a source of enjoyment. Doesn't matter WHAT sport it is. And I enjoyed those games WAY more than anything else on the schedule, and I don't think I'm alone in Eagle Nation.

From a practical standpoint, it's just annoying in that it's one more hole in the schedule that we will have difficulty filling because not many teams in the area want to play. (Kudos to Belfry and Breathitt and Hazard and the others who actually will.) We all know the idea here is so that Paintsville can continue to beat down the Allen Centrals and Jenkinses and Phelpses of the world and don't have to get exposed the first Thursday of October anymore, so nobody will ever be able to definitively peg their talent level and maybe they'll convince another prospect or two to migrate over from the county system that way, without the visible scoreboard reminders of which team in Johnson County is playing football that matters and which one is playing for second in Pikeville's district. And I'm sure the kids who couldn't start for Central and want to be Single A Superstars will still go over there, just as the PHS stars this year did. Hopefully, our talented county youngsters and their parents will see through this stunt for the ruse that it is and continue to aspire toward wearing the black and gold in HS.

Again, there is a lot of venom being spewd towards PHS. I do not have anyone in the area playing, I am at Raceland. The idea that this is a ploy to get kids to actually think Paintsville is better than they are and will possible move over from JCHS is really stretching it. You guys can't see the forrest for the trees.

That being said, I am a huge fan of all teams in our area. I love to see the success that JCHS has had and want it to continue, but all this negativity towards a 1A school that realizes it is undermanned and wants to correct a huge mismatch on it's schedule is not very dignified. All the bashing looks bad on your school and it's fans.