The Apple Bowl (Johnson Central vs. Paintsville) Is No More?

EKUAlum05

Knox Central is also on the schedule, I believe, playing them at a bowl game in Clay County. Also Sheldon Clark, Belfry, and then district games with Ashland, Woodford, and Montgomery. Still four holes left at this time.

My bad. I thought that Bowl wasnt going to start until the 2010 season.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad. I thought that Bowl wasnt going to start until the 2010 season.

My sources told me it was on the schedule. That may've been a misunderstanding, though, 'cause sometimes my sources don't catch all the details. :D It could be 2010. Perhaps someone with WYMT links out there knows more about that one. Mark that one as a maybe, then.

My sources told me it was on the schedule. That may've been a misunderstanding, though, 'cause sometimes my sources don't catch all the details. :D It could be 2010. Perhaps someone with WYMT links out there knows more about that one. Mark that one as a maybe, then.

Well your sources are pretty solid.:D I hope it is on this years schedule. Will be nice for our kids to get the TV exposure.

I can't imagine why Johnson Central would be interested in playing a double-header like that. If Paintsville doesn't want to play us anymore because they can't beat us, I can't see why we'd be interested in splitting a gate receipt with them when 80-plus percent of the crowd for the game would be our fans. If they're not interested in tradition, I don't see why we should be either, especially when it would involve us just giving away money our program can use.

You are correct. There will be no double-header.

This is not a good move for Paintsville to make. They can't draw big enough crowds in every home game for two years and make what they make this single game. The money made on this game pays for their program for a two year period (That is a fact I don't care who says otherwise.) Johnson Central is not going to agree to play a double header and why should they? Splitting the gate will be like Johnson Central fans donating money to Paintsville program because it don't matter who Paintsville plays the crowd for their game isn't going to be near the size of what Johnson Central will draw for their game because there is more interest in JCHS football.

You know for years when Paintsville was beating Johnson Central there was no talk about dropping the series. Johnson Central never tried to DODGE Paintsville no matter what. Tiger fans now say “Oh but Paintsville is a singe A school and JCHS is a 5A School,” that didn’t matter ten years ago so don’t buy that. Another excuse you will hear “Neither team benefits from this game.” No, but for years the kids from JCHS were the punch line of jokes and they were looked down upon in their own community. What goes around comes around!

Last but not least, the most common excuse Paintsville administration, fans, and coaches use is “well Paintsville wasn’t beating JCHS by 50 every year.” Well my only comment to that one is “Don’t cry and go home. LEARN how to play DEFENSE.”

Why doesn't JC schedule a CovCath or Highlands during this gap. It would give them a look at who they could be playing down the road in the playoffs and also tell them where they are right now.

It would have to be a somewhat neutral site. I'm one of Highlands Biggest fans and love road trips but a 2 year series between HHS and JCHS at their home fields is crazy. Play this game in Mt Sterling in some kind of early season bowl and i could see Highlands playing in a second.

I guess since the truth is out, no one wants to talk about it. I guess it's true that the truth hurts. How about some more truth????

Paintsville football has lived off Johnson County for years! In come Coach Matney and staff, and things change. Paintsville is no longer getting the youngsters from the County because Paintsville is longer the premier program in Johnson County. For years the Apple Bowl was a civil war. It was brother against brother!!! Kids from the County made Paintsville football what it was. Paintsville fans will say other wise but PM me and I will give you a list of players who started in the County and then went to Paintsville. For the past few years that list has taken a dramatic hit.

Now for the big ball to drop and it stems from all athletics academics. Paintsville's school system has suffered financially because the enrollment of Johnson Co. students has dropped rapidly. Paintsville administration and others want out of this game so they can compare their program and school with Johnson Central's. This way they can draw kids away and once again win with county kids.

Sometimes the truth hurts. But truth is what you ask for and I don’t care to give it to you.

You know for years when Paintsville was beating Johnson Central there was no talk about dropping the series. Johnson Central never tried to DODGE Paintsville no matter what. Tiger fans now say “Oh but Paintsville is a singe A school and JCHS is a 5A School,” that didn’t matter ten years ago so don’t buy that. Another excuse you will hear “Neither team benefits from this game.” No, but for years the kids from JCHS were the punch line of jokes and they were looked down upon in their own community. What goes around comes around!

The fact of the matter is...it DIDN'T matter 10 yrs. ago. This was because Central was a blind man wandering in the football desert. Paintsville has never had Central "outmanned everywhere" in the manner Central now does Paintsville.

The "looking down" of Central's community on its team had less to do with losing to Paintsville than the piling up of losses year after year to everyone.

What football benefit has Johnson Central got out of the last 3 Apple Bowls, anyway ?? :sssh:

Some of the same members attacking Paintsville for dropping the game are the same folks that defended Central's past avoidance of scheduling Prestonsburg... ;)

It would have to be a somewhat neutral site. I'm one of Highlands Biggest fans and love road trips but a 2 year series between HHS and JCHS at their home fields is crazy. Play this game in Mt Sterling in some kind of early season bowl and i could see Highlands playing in a second.

I'd suggest setting it up the same way Prestonsburg originally did with Beechwood. Play it in Jayne Stadium at Morehead State...

:thumb:

You know in the old days people commented that teams will come and go but the Apple Bowl would be played long after.

What benefit did they get, we lets see

1. It is a long standing tradtion that needs to stay because people who were involved in this game years ago come from all over the map just to see this game and remember the good ole days.

2. This is the one game all year that a lot of people attend because it's the apple bowl. I would almost bet everything that I got that even with a double header the attendence won't equal a Paintsville Jc match up. Therefore money lost

3. It gives both teams a guranteed non district game that they don't have to worry about.

Many benefits other than those but go ahead and disagree.

I guess since the truth is out, no one wants to talk about it. I guess it's true that the truth hurts. How about some more truth????

Paintsville football has lived off Johnson County for years! In come Coach Matney and staff, and things change. Paintsville is no longer getting the youngsters from the County because Paintsville is longer the premier program in Johnson County. For years the Apple Bowl was a civil war. It was brother against brother!!! Kids from the County made Paintsville football what it was. Paintsville fans will say other wise but PM me and I will give you a list of players who started in the County and then went to Paintsville. For the past few years that list has taken a dramatic hit.

Now for the big ball to drop and it stems from all athletics academics. Paintsville's school system has suffered financially because the enrollment of Johnson Co. students has dropped rapidly. Paintsville administration and others want out of this game so they can compare their program and school with Johnson Central's. This way they can draw kids away and once again win with county kids.

Sometimes the truth hurts. But truth is what you ask for and I don’t care to give it to you.

You've been saving up for awhile... :jump:

There's no denying Paintsville football benefitted greatly from county students attending PHS (and I remember no denial of that). But, you've gone much too far.

The Paintsville school system is NOT suffering a financial hardship from lack of county athletes attending the city school. What hardship is present is due to the education cuts from the state. Paintsville, being a small school, suffers more in relation to these cuts.

In academics not so long ago, Central was among the WORST ranked academic schools in the region/state. Fortunately with "No Child Left Behind" reforms, Johnson Central has improved greatly to now being in the upper 1/2 of schools regionally. But to be clear...at NO point has Central ever approached Paintsville's level in academic excellence. While I'm sure there are parents who feel Central is "good enough" now (in regard to academics), those that want their child in the BEST school will send them to downtown Paintsville. :cool:

The ONLY high school in the region that is Paintsville's academic peer is Pikeville.

Many benefits other than those but go ahead and disagree.

Other benefits ?? None of the ones you gave was a real football reason - they only had to do with $$. As far as #3 goes, Paintsville will have no problem filling the "gap" in its schedule.

;)

Why would Johnson Central want to continue to play a class A school that should never be within 5 TD's of them?

There you go.

Central's program is now past that (or should be). A split-squad scrimmage game would benefit the Eagles more.