Rebuilding A Program: Let's Talk Russell Red Devils Basketball

Russell is going to be fine. This year the boys play ball like they enjoy it. I think this year they suprise some teams with their speed and hustle, will win 6-10 games. Next year they will be over .500. The following year will be a regional contender.

I hope you are right. I can't stand to see traditional teams start losing their "mojo". I want to see the Devils play well and to see Coach Kidwell get some respect for being a good coach.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful young fella, you're gonna get the Duck in an uproar here. :lol:

I wish those boys the best over there on Red Devil Ln. I think they are headed in the right direction. And I also agree that Coach Kidwell should put his print on the Marv league. May help that he'll have one playing in it!:thumb:

Be careful 63rd, those devils may sneak up and bite you this year. Kinda like Leon Spinks did, only with teeth.

Don, you are correct on all three counts, as usual.:lol:

Heres a prop for Russell athletics, I witnessed the Russell 7th grade last year minus Skaggs and at the beginning of the season I thought yuck,but at the end of the year they seemed to have a much greater understanding of fundamentals and game awareness. I believe that this is a direct result of the lady that coached them, Anna Chaffin I think it is.

Anna is an excellent coach and role model for the kids.:thumb:

Russell is going to be fine. This year the boys play ball like they enjoy it. I think this year they suprise some teams with their speed and hustle, will win 6-10 games. Next year they will be over .500. The following year will be a regional contender.

This was the future projection even before last season started.

Who are Kidwell assistants and who does he have working with the Middle and Elementary schools? Good assistants are a key component of a head coaches success.

Joe Bryan and Bill Renzi came over with him from the girls side. Garry Morris remains on the staff as a scout. Perry Yates continues as freshman coach.

[/color]

This was the future projection even before last season started.

Who made this projection? The talent was probably better a year ago with Bender, Ferguson, and Mabery. A lot of size among those three players. This group lacks any experienced inside presence.

From everthing I hear the Russell kids work their tails off to improve and enjoy doing so. From a coaches standpoint that is all you can ask for.

If the kids continue with that mindset and believe in what the coaches teach, then great things can happen.

Who made this projection? The talent was probably better a year ago with Bender, Ferguson, and Mabery. A lot of size among those three players. This group lacks any experienced inside presence.

Some members of the previous coaching staff.;)

With the experience that Skaggs, Alexander, Stapleton and Whittaker along with others recieved last year, this year's team should be better. I believe that they will be.:thumb:

A program built on transfers is one made of sand. You cannot neglect your younger kids and the feeder program. Hopefully the program can be built from the youth leagues. The high school coaches need to be a part of the program at every level. Not just build for one team.

:thumb:

Where did the starting five from Russell's Regional winner team attend middle school? I mean did they come from the youth leagues in Russell? This is why people didn't have much faith in the previous regime. They didn't know how to develop talent IMO.