This playoff system is the best

Blackshirts

The more teams in the playoffs the better. Think about it. In the end, who is really hurt by this? No one is! The champion teams will win. Schools will get more revenue. Players will get more time to play the game they love. It's a Win Win situation. Yes you have blow outs, but you had that in the old system too.

IMO there is too many teams getting honored with playoff births, 0 and 10 and 1 and 10 teams have no bussiness in post season play. I am sure the parents enjoy this more than the kids. The players on these teams are paired up with the powerhouse teams and get humiliated, not a fun night. Then there is the injury factor. To have your top teams in with teams that have nothing to lose, breeds cheap shots and coaches letting there players take the short cuts that can lead to injuries, yes believe me it happens.

I dont know what the fix is, Im not that smart, but some things need to be looked at.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO there is too many teams getting honored with playoff births, 0 and 10 and 1 and 10 teams have no bussiness in post season play. I am sure the parents enjoy this more than the kids. The players on these teams are paired up with the powerhouse teams and get humiliated, not a fun night. Then there is the injury factor. To have your top teams in with teams that have nothing to lose, breeds cheap shots and coaches letting there players take the short cuts that can lead to injuries, yes believe me it happens.

I dont know what the fix is, Im not that smart, but some things need to be looked at.

My point exactly, but I have not seen anywhere in this thread that addresses this. How is it justified to give a team with no wins, or only one win the honor of going to the playoffs? It was mentioned above about a team with a 4-6 record, but they win their District, we they should be going over a team that is 0-10.

Got a link to it?

He'll put it up this afternoon. It was a great story. The gist was Harlan finished 10-0-1 and didnt make the playoffs, Evarts won the conference by beating Lynch 31-19, and Lynch makes the playoffs due to the Dickinson System and they go on to win their 4th state championship. A lot of great players and coaches are interviewed....just an outstanding story on Harlan County football!!

4-6 is 4-6 in my book.

What was Central's (Louisville) overall record last season going into the playoffs? Their losses came to St. X, Manual, Male, Johnson Central (I believe) and another team from a higher classification.

Overall, I think there are too many teams in the playoffs! It does help some of those teams (by adding a week or two of extra practice time) help build for the coming season. This also helps a program like Atherton or Shawnee (who have not made the playoffs in decades) build confidence and pride. Other than that, a top seeded team takes risks in playing their first and second teamers. Games that are very one sided, 63-0, etc and a starting RB gets injured or a QB gets knocked out of the next round game.

That is a very realistic possibilty and almost unnecessary IMO.

Could do away with districts. Have 4 regions in each class, take top 4 teams from each region and play top 4 from other region. Scheduling would be simple playing 7,8, or 9 region games. Bad thing only have 1, 2 maybe 3 non-region games so not alot of out of class games to pick from.

:thumb::thumb:

I think this watered down playoff system is terrible, I don't know how to fix it, but there wasn't much revenue being generated at our game against a winless Pendleton County team who brought a total of maybe 12 fans and 18 players. I mean I felt sorry for those kids who had to travel 2 1/2 hours to be down 48-0 with 8 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and a running clock from there on. I think this was the shortest game I've ever seen.

Normally they don't start a running clock until the 2nd half, regardless of the 45 point rule. However, both coaches agreed, and so it was.

This system is no good, just my opinion.

92% of round 1 games were decided by more than 10 points

74% by more than 20

53% by more than 30

31% by more than 40

14% by more than 50

2% by more than 60

Class 0-9 10-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 51+ Sum

1A 2 2 1 3 7 1 0 16

2A 1 2 2 5 3 3 0 16

3A 1 4 5 3 2 1 0 16

4A 1 4 4 1 2 3 1 16

5A 2 1 4 4 3 2 0 16

6A 1 4 4 5 0 1 1 16

8 17 20 21 17 11 2 96

96 88 71 51 30 13 2 96

100% 92% 74% 53% 31% 14% 2%

Suggested Improvement...

Each team must play at least 7 games against opponents of same class or higher and win at least 4 of those games in order to qualify for a berth. Ignore districts altogether.

If you have fewer than 16 teams in a division, then either schedule the games according to who qualified, or fill the bracket in with the next best non-qualifiers with 3 wins, or 2 wins or ...

Seed teams 1-n if less than 16, or 1-16. Then fill in the bracket and scheduled games.

In Round 1 there were 96 teams at or below .500.

In Round 2 there are 7.

Of those 7, 4 played teams also at or below .500 in Round 1.

Three played and beat teams with winning records.

Six were #2 seeds, while 1 was a #3.

There are 12 #3's and 2 #4's left in the playoffs after Round 1.

The two #4's are Seneca (6-5) and Simon Kenton (7-4).

Don't turn the playoffs into a mathematical formula and make it too confusing for the average fan to follow.

You either stay with four, drop to two or try three per district with a bye for the No. 1 seed.

Do it like WV. does take the top 16 teams in each class. 1 would play 16 and 2 would play 15 and so on. with the top seed with home field..the team with the best record should have home field..

Why fix a good system of four team playoffs with something that may be worse such as how do you figer the top 16 teams by a rateing system. I think our system is better than WV.

Why fix a good system of four team playoffs with something that may be worse such as how do you figer the top 16 teams by a rateing system. I think our system is better than WV.

It's not a good system. Too many teams with not enough wins, but not all teams. Too many games in Round 1 decided by wide margins, 53% by more than 30 points. Several 0 and 1 win teams in while 5-5 teams stay home.

District play, I think, is the fly in the ointment. By that I mean only district records count. Several teams in the state qualify just by showing up at 10 games.

I think if you want 32 teams in each division, then take to top 32 teams. Either take the top 8 in each region, or top 16 in each semi-state. Seed them and playoff.

It's not a good system. Too many teams with not enough wins, but not all teams. Too many games in Round 1 decided by wide margins, 53% by more than 30 points. Several 0 and 1 win teams in while 5-5 teams stay home.

District play, I think, is the fly in the ointment. By that I mean only district records count. Several teams in the state qualify just by showing up at 10 games.

I think if you want 32 teams in each division, then take to top 32 teams. Either take the top 8 in each region, or top 16 in each semi-state. Seed them and playoff.

Strength of schedules and differences in quality of football make it a nightmare to try any statewide or even region wide ranking system. I always prefer things being decided on the field and would err on the side of letting a 1 win team in versus excluding a 6 win team because they did not get enough points in some ranking system. Here is an idea I just thought of. Keep everything as is but make a requirement of say 2 wins in your class to qualify for the playoffs. If a team in a 4 team district is not able to get the 2 wins in their class, then you go to other districts where teams qualified and let them fill their slot. If somehow there aren't 32 qualified teams, some #1 seed get first round byes. That takes your 0 and 1 win teams out of the playoffs and promotes regular season games within classes.