Does CovCath deserve #2 seeding?

CCH24

To answer the question, I do not believe at this time they deserve the #2 ranking. Boone returns some quality players that have established themselves on the varsity level. I think the first couple of weeks are going to be a good learning experience, for a unexperienced varsity CCH team (besides Maile and Shover).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listerman wasn't the head coach back then either....but since Coach L has been the Head Coach at CovCath lets take a look....

00-01 22-6

01-02 25-5

02-03 18-10

03-04 29-4

04-05 23-7

05-06 24-7

06-07 24-7

07-08 21-9

Only one year since Coach L has been at the helm has CovCath had double digits losses and that was in the 02-03 season! Remember one thing also, CovCath plays one of the toughest schedules in the Commonwealth year in and year out, this year they open with LexCath at LexCath on December 2nd, then play Mason County at CovCath on December 5th and it's like this every year.....

Fail to see your point. I was responding to someone that had a hard time believing CovCath was "Ever" not in the top 5. I very much appreciate CovCath's program, and as a former player for Coach L. I more than appreciate him as a coach and person.

Listerman wasn't the head coach back then either....but since Coach L has been the Head Coach at CovCath lets take a look....

00-01 22-6

01-02 25-5

02-03 18-10

03-04 29-4

04-05 23-7

05-06 24-7

06-07 24-7

07-08 21-9

Only one year since Coach L has been at the helm has CovCath had double digits losses and that was in the 02-03 season! Remember one thing also, CovCath plays one of the toughest schedules in the Commonwealth year in and year out, this year they open with LexCath at LexCath on December 2nd, then play Mason County at CovCath on December 5th and it's like this every year.....

All that success and they still only have two region titles to show for it. :sssh:;)

All that success and they still only have two region titles to show for it. :sssh:;)

And during that same period of time Holmes has 3. And, 2 of Holmes' 3 trips to Rupp came as the result of Regional final championship game wins over Cov. Cath., 1 of which went to O.T. Holmes and Cov. Cath. have represented themselves and the 9th region in exemplary fashion for many years. A+++ job by both Coach Henley and Coach Listerman. As for Cov. Cath.'s seed, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see a Cov. Cath. - Holmes regional final in BOK arena this spring.

Personally I dont think it even matters who is number 2. Holmes is a clear dominate team in the 9th region this year. Really I would say you have Holmes, and then 3 teams that could challenge them this year ( Boone, Highlands, CovCath). Its kind of dissapointing because you like to see a toss up for the regional tournament like its been the last couple years. But at the same time, its cool that a Nky team has a good shot at winning state this year.

And during that same period of time Holmes has 3. And, 2 of Holmes' 3 trips to Rupp came as the result of Regional final championship game wins over Cov. Cath., 1 of which went to O.T. Holmes and Cov. Cath. have represented themselves and the 9th region in exemplary fashion for many years. A+++ job by both Coach Henley and Coach Listerman. As for Cov. Cath.'s seed, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see a Cov. Cath. - Holmes regional final in BOK arena this spring.

I really don't think it matters who has more regional titles. If you look at Eta's post I don't think he meant it as a knock on CCH.

Both are great programs and have gave us nky fans some great games over the past few years.

I agree though, that I wouldn't be surprised to see a CCH-Holmes final again this year as well.

CCH is going to have a tough time making it out of the district this year. I believe they only have two returning starters? What makes them second in the District this season, let alone top 3 in the Region?

I think a lot of folks who come in to the season with that type of mentality when thinking about CCH are in for a surprise. If people haven't noticed, they reload every year. They had a very good JV team last year that will step in and adjust by midseason to the speed of the varsity level. I think they'll take their lumps early but by the end of the year they will be a solid #2 or #3 in the region. You also have to remember that outside of Holmes and Boone, the 9th really isn't that strong this year.

CCH is going to have a tough time making it out of the district this year. I believe they only have two returning starters? What makes them second in the District this season, let alone top 3 in the Region?

So who do you think it will be beating them out, Holy Cross or Beechwood?

I think a lot of folks who come in to the season with that type of mentality when thinking about CCH are in for a surprise. If people haven't noticed, they reload every year. They had a very good JV team last year that will step in and adjust by midseason to the speed of the varsity level. I think they'll take their lumps early but by the end of the year they will be a solid #2 or #3 in the region. You also have to remember that outside of Holmes and Boone, the 9th really isn't that strong this year.

I'm just throwing this out there since you brought up Jv ball, but Holy Cross Jv beat Cov Cath Jv last year and they had everyone playing Jv that usually does.

I'm not saying that really means much because I don't put much stock into Jv ball, but I just figured I would throw that out there.:thumb:

Well because they were third behind Boone Co. My question was with the addition of Maile does this boost them to a deserving #2 spot. I didn't make up the rankings myself.

I actually went and saw CCH tonight at their blue/white scrimmage with a relative of mine and here is what I came away with:

Ives is going to be a solid point guard. He looked very good handling the rock and was quick off the dribble.

Sorrell can flat out fill it up from outside, but that's about it. Not a very ball handler or defender.

Wellbrock is a big body down low but didn't really show anything when he got the ball other than he could make lay ups. Struggled at the charity stripe too and isn't very fast.

Maile had a few buckets but if he continues to force things the way he did ALL night, CCH could be in for a LOOOONG season. He really isn't that good or anything special IMO. Good athlete, yes, but not that great of a ball player from what I seen TONIGHT.

Shover didn't really play that much but he looked solid when he was in. I think him playing the 2 might be good for him and CCH this year. He needs to drive a little more though and realize he can't just rely on the 3 ball.

Counts looked decent and did a good job guarding Maile. Physical player and should help them off the bench but I don't see him being a starter.

Now to Thelen....all of the hype that I heard over the summer is just that ; hype. He didn't really impress me at all and looked lost on the defensive end at times. He has trimmed down from last year though.

All in all CCH will be a top 3 team this year once they get things going but IMO aren't even on the same level as Holmes and wouldn't beat Boone. CCH will struggle with teams who are athletic and can rebound well.

Well because they were third behind Boone Co. My question was with the addition of Maile does this boost them to a deserving #2 spot. I didn't make up the rankings myself.

No...plain and simple. And honestly I'm not too sure Maile doesn't actually set them back some......