Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does CovCath deserve #2 seeding?

Featured Replies

With the addition of Maile to the lineup, do you think CovCath deserves to be infront of Boone County?

  • Replies 47
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the addition of Maile to the lineup, do you think CovCath deserves to be infront of Boone County?

 

Maile adds a lot of athleticism to the CovCath lineup but I still think Boone is the better team at this time. However with Maile it gets a lot more interesting for the #2 position in the 9th.

I don't think so, top 5, but it could be argued whether they are the #2.

I'm not too sure they are the #2 team with Maile. Boone returns a lot more from a team that beat CCH last year and CCH is still trying to fill all of the voids left by a big senior class last year.

 

At this point I'd have Boone #2 with Covcath a CLOSE #3 or even a 2B.

I'm not too sure they are the #2 team with Maile. Boone returns a lot more from a team that beat CCH last year and CCH is still trying to fill all of the voids left by a big senior class last year.

 

With reference to likely regular season performance, I would agree. Come tournament time... not so much.

Undoubtedly, Maile adds more talent to the team.

 

Hopefully Covington Catholic can get back to playing team oriented basketball. It has treated them well in the past, and I see no reason why it wouldn't benefit them again this year.

 

I'm not too worried about losing seniors. There is always enough talent waiting in the wings to compete and I'm sure they've been working hard this offseason to compensate for that lack of experience.

 

Admittedly, if I were to rank the teams in the region it'd be based on generalizations. No sense in wasting everyone's time. But I have a hard time believing CCH isn't a top 5 team. Ever. ;)

Undoubtedly, Maile adds more talent to the team.

 

Hopefully Covington Catholic can get back to playing team oriented basketball. It has treated them well in the past, and I see no reason why it wouldn't benefit them again this year.

 

I'm not too worried about losing seniors. There is always enough talent waiting in the wings to compete and I'm sure they've been working hard this offseason to compensate for that lack of experience.

 

Admittedly, if I were to rank the teams in the region it'd be based on generalizations. No sense in wasting everyone's time. But I have a hard time believing CCH isn't a top 5 team. Ever. ;)

 

97-98 ring a bell?

Undoubtedly, Maile adds more talent to the team.

 

Hopefully Covington Catholic can get back to playing team oriented basketball. It has treated them well in the past, and I see no reason why it wouldn't benefit them again this year.

 

I'm not too worried about losing seniors. There is always enough talent waiting in the wings to compete and I'm sure they've been working hard this offseason to compensate for that lack of experience.

 

Admittedly, if I were to rank the teams in the region it'd be based on generalizations. No sense in wasting everyone's time. But I have a hard time believing CCH isn't a top 5 team. Ever. ;)

 

The key for CCH, as you said, is playing as a team this year. Luke Maile can't try and be the WHOLE team. He is a great ball player but in order for them to be successful both he and Shover need to play to the strength of the TEAM which is going to be their big men this year. Shover and Maile can't just come down and jack up three's every possession.

 

In most cases CCH will have a big advantage in height with Isler, Wellbrock, and Thelen down low. They need to try and get those three involved and let them go to work against smaller defenders.

 

There are only a few teams in the region who can match up with CCH height down low. (Holmes, Boone, and Ryle)

The key for CCH, as you said, is playing as a team this year. Luke Maile can't try and be the WHOLE team. He is a great ball player but in order for them to be successful both he and Shover need to play to the strength of the TEAM which is going to be their big men this year. Shover and Maile can't just come down and jack up three's every possession.

 

In most cases CCH will have a big advantage in height with Isler, Wellbrock, and Thelen down low. They need to try and get those three involved and let them go to work against smaller defenders.

 

There are only a few teams in the region who can match up with CCH height down low. (Holmes, Boone, and Ryle)

 

Possibly highlands too with 6'6" Grubbs, Watson, and a big younger player.

The key for CCH, as you said, is playing as a team this year. Luke Maile can't try and be the WHOLE team. He is a great ball player but in order for them to be successful both he and Shover need to play to the strength of the TEAM which is going to be their big men this year. Shover and Maile can't just come down and jack up three's every possession.

 

In most cases CCH will have a big advantage in height with Isler, Wellbrock, and Thelen down low. They need to try and get those three involved and let them go to work against smaller defenders.

 

There are only a few teams in the region who can match up with CCH height down low. (Holmes, Boone, and Ryle)

I just don't see it happening. Coach L loves that "Listerman defense" and having three bigger, slower guys on the court at the same time just won't cut it for him. Heck, last year it was difficult for the 1 big man, Noll, to get on the court, let alone a couple.

 

As for on offense, I can't remember the last time that the offense revolved around the big man. The offense with Brennan was Tierney driving and dishing to Bo and TJ on the wings.

97-98 ring a bell?

 

Nope.

 

Looked it up though and CCH went something like 13-8. Lost to Holmes in a very close game in the district championship and then lost to Highlands by 6 in the 1st round of region. HHS went on to win region and their 1st game down state.

 

CCH had the 8th best record that year at 13-8 (or thereabouts). Nothing extravagant.

I just don't see it happening. Coach L loves that "Listerman defense" and having three bigger, slower guys on the court at the same time just won't cut it for him. Heck, last year it was difficult for the 1 big man, Noll, to get on the court, let alone a couple.

 

As for on offense, I can't remember the last time that the offense revolved around the big man. The offense with Brennan was Tierney driving and dishing to Bo and TJ on the wings.

 

Noll didn't get on the court much because he got pushed around down low. Quite frankly, in the games I saw, he looked lost on the floor.

I just don't see it happening. Coach L loves that "Listerman defense" and having three bigger, slower guys on the court at the same time just won't cut it for him. Heck, last year it was difficult for the 1 big man, Noll, to get on the court, let alone a couple.

 

As for on offense, I can't remember the last time that the offense revolved around the big man. The offense with Brennan was Tierney driving and dishing to Bo and TJ on the wings.

 

Listerman might not have a choice. They aren't exactly loaded at the guard position this year. Their strength is their big men OFFENSIVELY and they need to realize this. They aren't going to beat the good teams by just having Shover and Maile come down and jack up three's all night. Good defensive teams will make adjustments and key on their guards.

Nope.

 

Looked it up though and CCH went something like 13-8. Lost to Holmes in a very close game in the district championship and then lost to Highlands by 6 in the 1st round of region. HHS went on to win region and their 1st game down state.

 

CCH had the 8th best record that year at 13-8 (or thereabouts). Nothing extravagant.

 

But not top 5.

But not top 5.

 

 

Listerman wasn't the head coach back then either....but since Coach L has been the Head Coach at CovCath lets take a look....

 

00-01 22-6

01-02 25-5

02-03 18-10

03-04 29-4

04-05 23-7

05-06 24-7

06-07 24-7

07-08 21-9

 

 

Only one year since Coach L has been at the helm has CovCath had double digits losses and that was in the 02-03 season! Remember one thing also, CovCath plays one of the toughest schedules in the Commonwealth year in and year out, this year they open with LexCath at LexCath on December 2nd, then play Mason County at CovCath on December 5th and it's like this every year.....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.