Catholic Vote

Then your position is the same as the Pro-Choicers. You are not concerned (in this instance) with allowing God's will to be done. The only difference between you and an abortion supporter is a disagreement on when life begins.

I prefer no barrier that we create to disallow the miracle of conception. NFP uses no physical method of preventing pregnancy. If God wishes that a woman become pregnant, even though it is that time of the month when conception is least likely, then it will be done.

The Catholic Church, in fact, discourages abstinence among married couples.

My God that I worship is a little more powerful than to let a little piece of rubber (or other forms of birth control) stand in His way if he wants a young lady to be pregnant.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In one sense, yes you are correct and yes they (abortion supporters) are very much INCORRECT.

Maybe it was God's will to use contraceptives.

I think the Catholic Church sticking their nose into that is much like the Pharisees trying to overlegislate in Jesus' day.

The Catholic Church is now, and has been, absolutely unwavering over decades of this discussion! Their position hasn't changed in hundreds of years regarding abstinence, abortion, family planning, contraception....

Maybe it was God's will to use contraceptives.

I think the Catholic Church sticking their nose into that is much like the Pharisees trying to overlegislate in Jesus' day.

1. I am sure the people who created birth control methods were divinely inspired. I really can't imagine a single reason why wearing/ingesting a pill that's primary purpose is to prevent new life is glorifying God.

2. It's not an active support, like priests forcing couples to have sex. The Catholic Church does not constantly quiz married couples on how often they have sex or anything like that. It just recognizes that sex-for purposes of procreation and unity- is a healthy part of any marriage.

My God that I worship is a little more powerful than to let a little piece of rubber (or other forms of birth control) stand in His way if he wants a young lady to be pregnant.

Agreed. But if you wanted to serve Him, and you truly trusted in God's will, then, like I said before, why in the world would you wear something with the sole purpose of preventing life from occurring?

The Catholic Church is now, and has been, absolutely unwavering over decades of this discussion! Their position hasn't changed in hundreds of years regarding abstinence, abortion, family planning, contraception....

And neither did many of the positions of the Pharisees as they tried to come up with a rule for everything.

The Pharisees had a rule that a seamtress couldn't carry a needle in their pocket on a Sunday because that would violate not working on Sundays.

Ridiculous.

And neither did many of the positions of the Pharisees as they tried to come up with a rule for everything.

The Pharisees had a rule that a seamtress couldn't carry a needle in their pocket on a Sunday because that would violate not working on Sundays.

Ridiculous.

You have to be kidding me, right? You're trying to yank my chain, right?

1. I am sure the people who created birth control methods were divinely inspired. I really can't imagine a single reason why wearing/ingesting a pill that's primary purpose is to prevent new life is glorifying God.

2. It's not an active support, like priests forcing couples to have sex. The Catholic Church does not constantly quiz married couples on how often they have sex or anything like that. It just recognizes that sex-for purposes of procreation and unity- is a healthy part of any marriage.

Agreed. But if you wanted to serve Him, and you truly trusted in God's will, then, like I said before, why in the world would you wear something with the sole purpose of preventing life from occurring?

I think Jesus covered that when Satan tried to get him to throw himself to the ground from the tall building. You can trust without challenging him.

Should I go out and throw myself off the roof of my house and trust that God will save me?

I think Jesus covered that when Satan tried to get him to throw himself to the ground from the tall building. You can trust without challenging him.

Should I go out and throw myself off the roof of my house and trust that God will save me?

This is going nowhere. I think you just said that having unprotected, natural sex, is challenging God.

The consequence of jumping off a roof, with no intervention from God, is death.

The consequence of having unprotected sex, with no intervention from God, is new life.

I am sorry, LBBC, but I'm going to need more rationalization for how birth control is God's will, before I can address it further. Explain to me the moral theology and ethical philosophy behind why artificial birth control is God's will.

This is going nowhere. I think you just said that having unprotected, natural sex, is challenging God.

The consequence of jumping off a roof, with no intervention from God, is death.

The consequence of having unprotected sex, with no intervention from God, is new life.

I am sorry, LBBC, but I'm going to need more rationalization for how birth control is God's will, before I can address it further. Explain to me the moral theology and ethical philosophy behind why artificial birth control is God's will.

I cannot speak to what God's will exactly is.

There is an old story.

A flood occurred and a guy was trapped.

A boat came by and offered to save him and he said he was waiting on a miracle from God.

The water got higher and he climbed up higher on his roof. Another boat came by and offered to save him but he said he was waiting on a miracle from God.

Water got higher and he climbed to the top of his chimney. Helicopter came by and offered to save him and he said nope, waiting on a miracle from God.

He died in the flood.

When he got to heaven he told God that he couldn't believe that he didn't save him.

God said, "I sent two boats and a helicopter, what more did you want."

Preventing life from occurring via condom might be God's way of sending two boats and a helicopter.

But preventing life is much, much different than killing a human life via abortion.

Doesn't the fertlized egg have to attach to the uterine wall to create human life?

LBBC, this makes it sound as if you don't know when life begins. Don't worry though. You aren't alone.

Some interesting points. At the Saddleback debate, when asked when life began, McCain replied very demurely..."at conception." We was, of course, applauded and cheered.

I went to wikipedia.com and searched "conception." I was redirected to "fertilization" and you can imagine the discussion - a sperm fusing with an egg.

So, how can someone that is pro-life not be against oral contraceptives?

BTW, LBBC, I certainly hope that you don't think that this is meant to pick on you and your beliefs. I am trying to open up some dialogue and understand things here.

LBBC, this makes it sound as if you don't know when life begins. Don't worry though. You aren't alone.

Some interesting points. At the Saddleback debate, when asked when life began, McCain replied very demurely..."at conception." We was, of course, applauded and cheered.

I went to wikipedia.com and searched "conception." I was redirected to "fertilization" and you can imagine the discussion - a sperm fusing with an egg.

So, how can someone that is pro-life not be against oral contraceptives?

BTW, LBBC, I certainly hope that you don't think that this is meant to pick on you and your beliefs. I am trying to open up some dialogue and understand things here.

My first instinct is that the morning after pill is wrong.

I was asking questions to see if there is a reason why my opinion should change.

I thought that was "fair and balanced.";):D