Question for the refs

ddky1970

Is it false start if a wide out after becoming set, takes a step toward the line of scrimmage then resets before the snap.

It is a false start if a shift or feigned charge simulates action at the snap.

It is an illegal shift if, after a huddle or shift, all 11 players of A don't come to an absolute stop and remain stationary for at least one second before the snap.

It is illegal motion if, at the snap, an A player is in motion toward his opponent's goal line.

So if the receiver sets then moves toward the line of scrimmage 1/2 a step then resets for more than one second and the defense is not drawn offsides in a close game. You say that you would call illegal motion. Or would you swallow your whistle because their has been no advantage gained.

So if the receiver sets then moves toward the line of scrimmage 1/2 a step then resets for more than one second and the defense is not drawn offsides in a close game. You say that you would call illegal motion. Or would you swallow your whistle because their has been no advantage gained.

The only time I've seen a WR do this, they ALWAYS look at the ref to make sure they're OK with the LOS.

That may not be what you're talking about, but I have rarely seen an official call anything when a WR does this.

The only time I've seen a WR do this, they ALWAYS look at the ref to make sure they're OK with the LOS.

That may not be what you're talking about, but I have rarely seen an official call anything when a WR does this.

Should have been at the Raceland/Fairview game last night, the line judge refused to tell WR's if they were on or not, and flagged several on both teams for lining up in the neutral zone, until the white hat told him to tell them if they were on or not. Amazing.

Should have been at the Raceland/Fairview game last night, the line judge refused to tell WR's if they were on or not, and flagged several on both teams for lining up in the neutral zone, until the white hat told him to tell them if they were on or not. Amazing.

Must have been his first time refereeing a footbal game.:lol:

... Wow.

I'd have raised all kinds of hell if I was one of those coaches or the white hat.

The official really doesnt have to say anything. If the widest receiver is off the LOS, the official will point a closed fist toward the end zone. If on the LOS, the official makes no signal. However, most officials calling HS games are pretty good about telling kids if they are on or off! Offside will know if this is correct!

Ram

How do you know refused to tell them they were onside? How do you know the white hat told them if they were or not? Officials are not supposed to do tell them if they are onside or not. They are supposed to point to their leg to let them know were the line is and let them line up.

Frankly, the question is vague, I perceive a certain edge to it, and it sounds like you're fishing for a way to paint one of my fellow officials into a corner. I sincerely apologize if that perception is wrong.

Many times I've called it; many times I've swallowed the whistle. It requires judgment, and that simply cannot be reconciled on a discussion forum.

I just get the feeling that a wideout flinched, nobody called it, and the guy caught a touchdown pass against your team--or a similar scenario. If that's the case, please move on.

Again, I sincerely apologize if my sideline sense is off tonight.

Ram

How do you know refused to tell them they were onside? How do you know the white hat told them if they were or not? Officials are not supposed to do tell them if they are onside or not. They are supposed to point to their leg to let them know were the line is and let them line up.

I'm aware, and the side judge did not do anything when the WR pointed to him. On the fourth infraction the white waived the flag off and walked over and spoke to the side judge and then he started nodding his head when a WR from either team pointed to him, and there were not any more infractions.

Not necessarily. BUT, its the obligation of the player to MAKE SURE he does not do anything that anyone could construe as simulating the start of the play or doing something that could make the defense be drawn. The obligation is on the player to make sure he is acting legally, not the official to tell the player if its right or wrong. The official is simply to throw the flag if he determines a foul