Devin Hester plays hardball

We all know it's going to be impossible for him to continue to put up those amazing return numbers he put up his first two years.

At the same time, the Bears couldn't let it become a distraction or god forbid have him go elsewhere.

So the Bears pay him a big thank you bonus for those first two years, give him the extension and more money he wants and give him a bonus if he continues to produce at the end of his contract.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

If he can't play WR, he might just be the most overpaid player in history. Like Nees has been saying.....just kick it away from him, and he is useless. This is why the Bears, as an organization, is in the toilet.

If he can't play WR, he might just be the most overpaid player in history. Like Nees has been saying.....just kick it away from him, and he is useless. This is why the Bears, as an organization, is in the toilet.

While that can be said before Lovie arrived, this team has been pretty good before last year. They made it to the Superbowl for goodness sake just two years ago, you can say their OFFENSE is in the toilet and no one would disagree with you. But their defense, if healthy, will be one of the best in football. Angelo may not know anything about offense, but he does a great job on defense and they proceeded to "take care" of all their key pieces this offseason: Harris, Briggs, Brown, Hester, etc, etc.

Yes, kick it away from Hester and you avoid the long return, however, by kicking away you could end up kicking it out of bounds and give the Bears great field position by default. With their offense that bad, they need all the help they can get. :lol:

Toilet? Wow, where in the john do you place the Bengals?

Isn't he going to be their number one WR this year? I thought I heard that on ESPN. With his return abilities and that fact deserves at least seven digits IMO.

Only if his catching skills have improved drasticly. Otherwise no. I'm assuming they have, because otherwise it'd be just dumb, to pay someone 7 figures just to be athletic, but not help the team because your role can be contained.

Yes, kick it away from Hester and you avoid the long return, however, by kicking away you could end up kicking it out of bounds and give the Bears great field position by default. With their offense that bad, they need all the help they can get. :lol:

If you kick the kickoff out of bounds, then yes, you're giving them great field position. However, the way their offense has been, I'd still do it. :lol: However, punting out of bounds every time is the best thing to do against them, and those teams that did that, proved it worked. Those that didn't (Denver), well, you saw what happened.

Only if his catching skills have improved drasticly. Otherwise no. I'm assuming they have, because otherwise it'd be just dumb, to pay someone 7 figures just to be athletic, but not help the team because your role can be contained.

I just don't understand how one's catching and route running skills can progress that much in one year when he's been trying since college. :confused:

Obviously IMO, he's getting way too much money. However, if, and a big if at that, he is capable of being that number 1 receiver they say he's going to be, then I think the deal is OK. Obviously, the Bears must know something, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how he works out as a receiver in these upcoming months.