Jennings To Play In Europe

MBWC41

Free, are they not getting an education and also giving back to the college by playing the sport that they have the scholarship for. It may be free but they do have to work to earn that "free" trip.

Are you trying to make my point for me? What is the "cost" to the university to bring in these students that aren't qualifed to be in the classroom? Not much, right? Throw some books at them. Put them in a dorm room. On the other hand, the university knows that if enough of these kids pan out and can do the minimum required to stay eligible, they can fill their stadium and coliseum.

Do you actually think the scholarships for football and basketball are paid for by the traditional academic scholarship method?

Want to guess where a large amount of the cash comes from? Former athletes that have made bundles of money in the "real world" giving back...

Of course you're right. That's exactly how Morehead State offers academic scholarships. They got that idea from Murray State who got it from SE Missouri State who....

Please.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one of those "free" scholarships. It was not at a Div. 1 school but still it was there for me.

I really don't consider it free considering the time I spent in the gym, weight room, working on my game, going to class, and studying. It was my job because it is how I paid for my school. Other students have the luxary, so to speak, to get a job and I didn't have the time. So I don't feel bad at all for the "free" scholarship and nobody else should either.

No one has a problem with it as long as you were qualified academically to do the work.

Are you trying to make my point for me? What is the "cost" to the university to bring in these students that aren't qualifed to be in the classroom? Not much, right? Throw some books at them. Put them in a dorm room. On the other hand, the university knows that if enough of these kids pan out and can do the minimum required to stay eligible, they can fill their stadium and coliseum.

The cost is the scholarship that could go to other athletes. You say free, this athletes weather or not make it in the classroom are putting in the work to deserve their free money.

No one has a problem with it as long as you were qualified academically to do the work.

I have known over the years students who were qualified who never made it in college.

I have also known several students who I would have bet the bank on that they would never make it and they do.

You never know when they go to college on how individuals will do.

The cost is the scholarship that could go to other athletes. You say free, this athletes weather or not make it in the classroom are putting in the work to deserve their free money.

Irrelevant. It costs the university very little to bring in a student on scholarship UNLESS they simply have no more room for these extra students in the classrooms and in the dorms. Really. What does that cost them? Not much.

I have known over the years students who were qualified who never made it in college.

I have also known several students who I would have bet the bank on that they would never make it and they do.

You never know when they go to college on how individuals will do.

Colleges profile students to see who they should take. History gives them a background and guides them. Are there exceptions? Obviously. However, the % of applicants who are not qualified on the transcripts that actually make it is small.

Success is defined by how many students they bring in that actually graduate. They're not taking chances if there is not big money attached to them like there is for the gridiron and hardwood athlete.

Irrelevant. It costs the university very little to bring in a student on scholarship UNLESS they simply have no more room for these extra students in the classrooms and in the dorms. Really. What does that cost them? Not much.

It cost them. It may not be much. But the athlete has to earn it from year to year. If he comes and does not perform then they will be ineligible. Believe they work to earn that money for school. It may not be flipping burgers or waiting tables but they are busting their tail on the field/gym/weight room to earn that money.

It cost them. It may not be much. But the athlete has to earn it from year to year. If he comes and does not perform then they will be ineligible. Believe they work to earn that money for school. It may not be flipping burgers or waiting tables but they are busting their tail on the field/gym/weight room to earn that money.

You're arguing that the athlete has to make an investment in time and effort. No argument there and that's not the argument I'm making.

What does it cost the university? That's the point.

Again, I know you're too smart to know that the universities are not being altruistic.

I'm also too smart to believe that as a majority there isn't a lot of good being done for kids black, white, yellow and otherwise in the system at hand.

Every year there are a few stories like Jennings at the top of the heap, and many others well below that which make the headlines and fuel the fire. The reality is the good kids simply don't get the press attention, and guys like Whitlock live in big houses screaming from their master bedroom balcony about race.

How about Colerain football players as a case study. Simpson, Clifford, Byrd, Goodman, Revels. The last two are going to be set for life on and off the football field. Byrd is close, but still has his flaws. Simpson and Clifford have thrown it all away. I don't think any of the five were more or less prepared for this level...

Of course you're right. That's exactly how Morehead State offers academic scholarships. They got that idea from Murray State who got it from SE Missouri State who....

Please.

They have NOTHING to do with the athletes in question...

I'm also too smart to believe that as a majority there isn't a lot of good being done for kids black, white, yellow and otherwise in the system at hand.

Every year there are a few stories like Jennings at the top of the heap, and many others well below that which make the headlines and fuel the fire. The reality is the good kids simply don't get the press attention, and guys like Whitlock live in big houses screaming from their master bedroom balcony about race.

How about Colerain football players as a case study. Simpson, Clifford, Byrd, Goodman, Revels. The last two are going to be set for life on and off the football field. Byrd is close, but still has his flaws. Simpson and Clifford have thrown it all away. I don't think any of the five were more or less prepared for this level...

1. The students that are taking advantage of the system should be applauded. That doesn't mean the system is looking out for them first as human beings and as students. Their first priority is to bring revenue into the school. Period. That, again, is the argument that Whitlock is making. The hypocrisy is too much for some including me.

2. So only poor brothers can complain about the plight of the young black man? You PO'd at Cosby as well?

3. I'm not sure what you mean by "set for life." Because of sports? I also have no clue if the youngsters you mention were prepared to enter college. Colerain doesnt seem to have a reputation as a poor academic institution. Of course , they're probably not holding a few of these boys up as shining examples of the type of people that Colerain produces.

Because they didn't take for granted the chance to get a degree and grow in to great people...

Gotcha. Great to hear success stories like that. UC should be proud to be associated with them.

Does that change the fact that the NCAA and UC looks at them first and foremost as cash cows?

Does that change the fact that the NCAA and UC looks at them first and foremost as cash cows?

Does it change the fact that a great deal of that cash goes to non revenue sports?

Some kids don't like school. Same in just about every field. I had no desire to go to college, and got scholarship money. On the sliding scale, I would have been fine, but much more for a test score than a GPA.

Take a look at the prep school rule changes, and how that's playing in to get a better feel for my argument. The NCAA is forcing kids like Jennings with less talent back to the JUCO ranks...