Jennings To Play In Europe

MBWC41

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Higher than the rate of non athletes...

Not for the ones that come to school on a scholarship.

So, tell me why the NCAA lets these unqualified students come to their school? Say it with me in your best Randy Moss voice : STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY.

So, tell me why the NCAA lets these unqualified students come to their school? Say it with me in your best Randy Moss voice : STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY.

The same reason all colleges bring in any student. MONEY

Plus, it's a horrible point for THIS example. He's going to Europe because he can't get in to the NCAA...

Right. And we should tell him its a good move. Why go to college just to wait your year to get into the NBA?

The same reason all colleges bring in any student. MONEY

How much money do you think the school brings in at big-time athletic schools from its non-athletes? Sure, they hope somewhere down the road that a good number will send checks but that's purely down the road. They are letting in unqualified athletes to keep their TV money coming in.

USC/UK/UC/UT are not letting in general students who are not qualified. Period.

So you don't think they don't let any borderline students in at all?

Also non qualified students can eventually get into these schools if they go on to JUCO just like an athlete can.

Now. Why is it necessary for big time programs to make a lot of money? Where does a very large chunk of that STRAIGHT CASH go? That's right. Funding the non revenue sports, including scholarships. Maybe 20 D1 athletic programs make huge money.

So, what we are talking about is the NCAA reeling in 20 schools, and in doing so, hurting the rest? Really?

If they want to go to Europe, play with the Globe Trotters, play in the D League or work at McDonald's for a year so be it.

Where was the rule bending to get Jennings in? Waiting...

How much money do you think the school brings in at big-time athletic schools from its non-athletes? Sure, they hope somewhere down the road that a good number will send checks but that's purely down the road. They are letting in unqualified athletes to keep their TV money coming in.

He wasn't let in. Is this thing on???

For free? Uh, no.

Free, are they not getting an education and also giving back to the college by playing the sport that they have the scholarship for. It may be free but they do have to work to earn that "free" trip.

For free? Uh, no.

Do you actually think the scholarships for football and basketball are paid for by the traditional academic scholarship method?

Want to guess where a large amount of the cash comes from? Former athletes that have made bundles of money in the "real world" giving back...

Now. Why is it necessary for big time programs to make a lot of money? Where does a very large chunk of that STRAIGHT CASH go? That's right. Funding the non revenue sports, including scholarships. Maybe 20 D1 athletic programs make huge money.

So, what we are talking about is the NCAA reeling in 20 schools, and in doing so, hurting the rest? Really?

If they want to go to Europe, play with the Globe Trotters, play in the D League or work at McDonald's for a year so be it.

Where was the rule bending to get Jennings in? Waiting...

Hey now. We all understand why they do it and who benefits and its not just athletics.

No one is arguing that they can't go elsewhere.

Jennings: He has to be pretty bad at the books game to not get in. The requirements are not that difficult. However, highly unqualified kids do make it in and the only reason they are showing up (at the big schools and the Riders/UTEP/Florida Atlantics/Valpo/etc) is because they think they can make it to the pros. They should not be in school but the NCAA and the universities need them to keep the gravy train going.

Don't ignore the impact that a good sports team (even one that loses money on the financial statement) has on alumni donations/TV revenue/college applications . If not, why would schools even fund a football team or b-ball team that loses money? Of course, they need it to keep the alum happy and to keep them reaching for their checkbook.

I'm not sure why you're hung up on the fact that Jennings didn't get in. As I said, that's pretty hard to be that poor on the report card.

UC takes them. UK takes them. Heck, Duke and ND take them. Again, I know you're too smart to know that the universities are not being altruistic.

For free? Uh, no.

I got one of those "free" scholarships. It was not at a Div. 1 school but still it was there for me.

I really don't consider it free considering the time I spent in the gym, weight room, working on my game, going to class, and studying. It was my job because it is how I paid for my school. Other students have the luxary, so to speak, to get a job and I didn't have the time. So I don't feel bad at all for the "free" scholarship and nobody else should either.