Who is Brian Wilson and Why Is He an All-Star?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're way off on that one they're all at LEAST average fielders and most of them above average. Uggla has a fielding percentage of .984 compared to the league average of .981, his range factor is 4.83 compared with a league average of 4.06. Roberts has a fielding percentage of .993 and he also has a range factor of 4.83. The only one with a poor fielding percentage is Kinsler who has a .968 percentage but his range factor is 5.66 so he gets to a bunch of balls that others don't . Phillips has a great fielding percentage of .998 but his range factor is not as high as Kinsler, Roberts or Uggla at 4.72.

Fielding percentage/errors don't lie.

As far as range, if you want to argue Uggla and the crew and cover more ground than Phillips, I might advise you to watch a baseball game. Not being rude, but I don't even think you believe that.

I'll leave Cano out of the equation because he has clearly slumped the first half of the season. Here's how the other 5 rank in each of the offensive catagories compared to each other.

Hits:

1. Kinsler 121

2. Pedroia 115

3. Phillips 101

4. Roberts 100

5. Uggla 83

Runs:

1. Kinsler 79

2. Pedroia 60

3. Roberts, Uggla 57

5. Phillips 51

Doubles:

1. Roberts 32

2. Kinsler 28

3. Pedroia 25

4. Uggla 24

5. Phillips 18

Triples:

1. Roberts 7

2. Phillips 5

3. Kinsler 4

4. Pedroia, Uggla 1

Homeruns:

1. Uggla 23

2. Phillips, Kinsler 14

4. Pedroia 9

5. Roberts 7

RBIs:

1. Uggla 58

2. Phillips 56

3. Kinsler 53

4. Pedroia 41

5. Roberts 32

Walks:

1. Roberts 43

2. Uggla 37

3. Kinsler 34

4. Phillips 24

5. Pedroia 22

Strikeouts:

1. Uggla 91

2. Roberts 63

3. Phillips 58

4. Kinsler 49

5. Pedroia 33

Stolen Bases:

1. Roberts 24

2. Kinsler 23

3. Phillips 18

4. Pedroia 9

5. Uggla 4

OBP

1. Kinsler .391

2. Uggla .375

3. Roberts .373

4. Pedroia .355

5. Phillips .337

Slugging

1. Uggla .620

2. Kinsler .545

3. Phillips .494

4. Roberts .493

5. Pedroia .458

OB+Slugging

1. Uggla .995

2. Kinsler .936

3. Roberts .866

4. Phillips .831

5. Pedroia .813

Batting Average

1. Kinsler .332

2. Pedroia .312

3. Roberts .295

4. Phillips .292

5. Uggla .289

Looking at the numbers there is no way to objectively state that Phillips is the clear-cut 2nd best second baseman. He's a very good one in a pack below Chase Utley.

I'll leave Cano out of the equation because he has clearly slumped the first half of the season. Here's how the other 5 rank in each of the offensive catagories compared to each other.

Hits:

1. Kinsler 121

2. Pedroia 115

3. Phillips 101

4. Roberts 100

5. Uggla 83

Runs:

1. Kinsler 79

2. Pedroia 60

3. Roberts, Uggla 57

5. Phillips 51

Doubles:

1. Roberts 32

2. Kinsler 28

3. Pedroia 25

4. Uggla 24

5. Phillips 18

Triples:

1. Roberts 7

2. Phillips 5

3. Kinsler 4

4. Pedroia, Uggla 1

Homeruns:

1. Uggla 23

2. Phillips, Kinsler 14

4. Pedroia 9

5. Roberts 7

RBIs:

1. Uggla 58

2. Phillips 56

3. Kinsler 53

4. Pedroia 41

5. Roberts 32

Walks:

1. Roberts 43

2. Uggla 37

3. Kinsler 34

4. Phillips 24

5. Pedroia 22

Strikeouts:

1. Uggla 91

2. Roberts 63

3. Phillips 58

4. Kinsler 49

5. Pedroia 33

Stolen Bases:

1. Roberts 24

2. Kinsler 23

3. Phillips 18

4. Pedroia 9

5. Uggla 4

OBP

1. Kinsler .391

2. Uggla .375

3. Roberts .373

4. Pedroia .355

5. Phillips .337

Slugging

1. Uggla .620

2. Kinsler .545

3. Phillips .494

4. Roberts .493

5. Pedroia .458

OB+Slugging

1. Uggla .995

2. Kinsler .936

3. Roberts .866

4. Phillips .831

5. Pedroia .813

Batting Average

1. Kinsler .332

2. Pedroia .312

3. Roberts .295

4. Phillips .292

5. Uggla .289

Looking at the numbers there is no way to objectively state that Phillips is the clear-cut 2nd best second baseman. He's a very good one in a pack below Chase Utley.

Agreed, but I am being bias. C'mon :lol:

I will put it to you this way, I wouldn't trade BP for those other guys. I watch a lot of baseball. And IMHO, he is second. Of course, we all know what an opinion is worth.

No, they don't; however, it is one of the most overrated & subjective stats in baseball. Not a good indicator of the defensive abilities of a player, IMO.

That just doesn't make sense. If a player doesn't make many errors, then he is a good fielder. It may not be a great tool for outfielders, but infielders get all kinds of balls hit to them and it is quite a feat to only have one error at this point of the season.

I agree, and according to MLB.com Phillips range factor for the year is 4.81 with a career RF of 5.07

That is the range factor per 9 innings, I was using range factor per game. If that is the stat that you want to use then they rank like this:

1. Kinsler 5.77

2. Roberts 4.97

3. Uggla 4.96

4. Phillips 4.81

5. Pedroia 4.71

Agreed, but I am being bias. C'mon :lol:

I will put it to you this way, I wouldn't trade BP for those other guys. I watch a lot of baseball. And IMHO, he is second. Of course, we all know what an opinion is worth.

:lol::lol::lol: I know you were thats why I threw that objectively in there. Phillips is a very good second baseman, Kinsler is the one that I'd be most interested in having over him but he's way over his career averages so far this year so it is hard to say if he will keep it up. He is a year younger than Phillips but does make a lot of errors.

Fielding percentage/errors don't lie.

As far as range, if you want to argue Uggla and the crew and cover more ground than Phillips, I might advise you to watch a baseball game. Not being rude, but I don't even think you believe that.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Phillips is the best defensive 2nd baseman in the league, and can cover more ground to get to a ball than anyone short of the O-Dog, I don't care what the numbers say.

Wilson IS the saves leader in the NL though.

Yes and Joe Borowski was the leader in MLB in Saves last season. However, he had a 5.07 ERA, didn't make the All-Star Game and is currently without a job. Saves are not a great measure of how good a pitcher you are. Wilson did not belong on the team, I could understand it if they had to have a Giant but Lincecum fills the bill there.

No, they don't; however, it is one of the most overrated & subjective stats in baseball. Not a good indicator of the defensive abilities of a player, IMO.

True, true, true.

Dunn's fielding % is pretty high this year. While I think he's had a good year , he's not a "quality" fielder.

Same with Derek Jeter.

Wilson IS the saves leader in the NL though.

Like fielding %, a highly misleading stat.

In 10 of his 24 saves, all he was asked to do was pitch the 9th inning without giving up 2 or more runs. Not exactly "clutch" requirements.

That just doesn't make sense. If a player doesn't make many errors, then he is a good fielder. It may not be a great tool for outfielders, but infielders get all kinds of balls hit to them and it is quite a feat to only have one error at this point of the season.

It makes perfect sense. Think about it like this...

If I am playing SS and the ball is hit up the middle and I don't get to it, then it's a base hit. Maybe I don't get to it because of my defensive positioning, lack of speed, or maybe I just get a bad jump on the ball. Regardless, it goes in the books as a hit and my fielding % is still flawless.

If I am playing SS and the ball is hit up the middle and I somehow bobble it or make a diving stop and then throw it over the 1st baseman's head, it's an error. Nevermind the fact that 90% of the other SS in the game wouldn't have gotten to it - the only thing that matters is that I did, and I didn't make the play. So, I am charged with an error and penalized because I got to a ball that the majority of "average" defenders would not have gotten to.

Fielding % and saves are two of the most overrated statistics in baseball. Now, if you want to take the Range factor into account for fielding %, then it becomes a little more valuable; however, things such as defensive positioning and getting a good break on the ball are nearly impossible to gauge, but some of the most important factors.

Add that to the fact that many errors are subjective, and you've got some statistics that I value very little.