Who is Brian Wilson and Why Is He an All-Star?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All-Star votes, are all about popularity and who they watch, on the ESPN highlights. Some are deserving and many others, often overlooked.

Usually not that way when the players vote.

I would say that's a good possibility. I wouldn't think I-Rod would be that unpopular though.

Me neither, I don't know when the player's votes were due but he was hitting over .250 as recently as June 15th. I don't know if he received a bunch of votes early or what. He's great at calling a game so maybe a bunch of pitchers voted for him. Very odd selection.

Usually not that way when the players vote.
I agree for the most part but sometimes, admiration can get in the way of someone deserving but they aren't well liked by their own peers.

You're example of Varitek, is one. By all accounts a well-liked, admired Catcher but having a woeful year and I mean bad, at the plate.

Is Uggla injured?

Yeah, read an article earlier today quoting him as saying it was doubtful that he would be able to play.

BP gets no love, and behind Utley, is the best 2nd baseman in b-ball

Yeah, read an article earlier today quoting him as saying it was doubtful that he would be able to play.

BP gets no love, and behind Utley, is the best 2nd baseman in b-ball

Phillips is a very good second baseman but he's not head and shoulders above a group that includes Kinsler, Uggla, Pedroia, Cano, and Roberts. His 30/30 season gives him an advantage but he's not the clear-cut 2nd best in baseball.

Uggla, Kinsler, Pedroia, Cano (seriously??), Roberts aren't even close when it comes to defense. When you look at the total package, running, hitting, power, defense... it's not even close.

The guys you listed are average defenders, at best. BP was robbed of the gold-glove last year, and should be on his way to winning it this year. One error, at the All-Star break. Not to mention how many hits he has took away.

Phillips is a very good second baseman but he's not head and shoulders above a group that includes Kinsler, Uggla, Pedroia, Cano, and Roberts. His 30/30 season gives him an advantage but he's not the clear-cut 2nd best in baseball.

When you take into account his defense he's clearly way above Uggla. I don't watch enough AL ball to comment on the others.

Uggla, Kinsler, Pedroia, Cano (seriously??), Roberts aren't even close when it comes to defense. When you look at the total package, running, hitting, power, defense... it's not even close.

The guys you listed are average defenders, at best. BP was robbed of the gold-glove last year, and should be on his way to winning it this year. One error, at the All-Star break. Not to mention how many hits he has took away.

You're way off on that one they're all at LEAST average fielders and most of them above average. Uggla has a fielding percentage of .984 compared to the league average of .981, his range factor is 4.83 compared with a league average of 4.06. Roberts has a fielding percentage of .993 and he also has a range factor of 4.83. The only one with a poor fielding percentage is Kinsler who has a .968 percentage but his range factor is 5.66 so he gets to a bunch of balls that others don't . Phillips has a great fielding percentage of .998 but his range factor is not as high as Kinsler, Roberts or Uggla at 4.72.

You're way off on that one they're all at LEAST average fielders and most of them above average. Uggla has a fielding percentage of .984 compared to the league average of .981, his range factor is 4.83 compared with a league average of 4.06. Roberts has a fielding percentage of .993 and he also has a range factor of 4.83. The only one with a poor fielding percentage is Kinsler who has a .968 percentage but his range factor is 5.66 so he gets to a bunch of balls that others don't . Phillips has a great fielding percentage of .998 but his range factor is not as high as Kinsler, Roberts or Uggla at 4.72.

I don't know how range factor is calculated, but there is no way anyone can convince me Phillips can't cover more ground than Uggla.

I don't know how range factor is calculated, but there is no way anyone can convince me Phillips can't cover more ground than Uggla.

I agree, and according to MLB.com Phillips range factor for the year is 4.81 with a career RF of 5.07