Schilling's Career May Be Over

I don't have a problem with an athlete who speaks his mind. I think baseball needs a few more of them. Lord knows the NBA is full of them. However, I get the feeling if Schilling played for the "home" team, nobody would have much to say about his mouth.

That said, you can't put Schilling into the HOF unless you plan on inducting Blyleven into the same class. He's a borderline pick right now

I hope that the surgery goes o.k. and all but I have to say I will be thrilled not to have him in baseball if he is done.

Schilling is and has been a very good pitcher, no doubt about that. As others have said, he is also a H.O.F. jerk.....first ballot jerk at that.:D

I do believe that Schilling will probably he in the hall but not sure about a first ballot entry though.

I don't have a problem with an athlete who speaks his mind. I think baseball needs a few more of them. Lord knows the NBA is full of them. However, I get the feeling if Schilling played for the "home" team, nobody would have much to say about his mouth.

That said, you can't put Schilling into the HOF unless you plan on inducting Blyleven into the same class. He's a borderline pick right now

Blyleven definately belongs imo. :thumb:

Also, I don't mind a player speaking his mind either but something about Schilling made it seem like he was "all about me" when he did and no one is bigger than the game. Great pitcher, I enjoyed watching him pitch but just can't stand him.

(and it is not just bc I am a Yankee fan. :sssh::lol:)

I agree 100%. I liked Schilling because he didn't care to speak his mind.

If he's judged soley on his overall #'s I think he falls just short. Tommy John & Bert (be home) Blyleven have better career #'s & they're not in (yet). W/ that said, I'd put his post-season #'s up against anyone's in the history of the game &, if he ultimately gets in, it will be his post-season performances that get him there...Personally I'll be pulling for him...:thumb:

Blyleven definately belongs imo. :thumb:

Also, I don't mind a player speaking his mind either but something about Schilling made it seem like he was "all about me" when he did and no one is bigger than the game. Great pitcher, I enjoyed watching him pitch but just can't stand him.

(and it is not just bc I am a Yankee fan. :sssh::lol:)

Here's an interesting article concerning Schilling and the Hall of Fame. One big part of the criteria is being a dominant player at your postion during your time. That changes the comparison to Blyleven and John (who I also think should be in) at least a little bit. Here's a sample:

I looked at bunch of other numbers--numbers that rank all righthanded starters from 1992, the year Schilling first moved into the starting rotation in Philadelphia, through 2007, the year he apparently threw his final pitch in Boston. Here's what I found:

Schilling not only led all of them in complete games (with 83), but only one other righthander in the whole sport (Greg Maddux) was closer than 25 CGs away. Just Pedro Martinez had a better strikeout ratio than Schilling (8.59 K/9). Only Pedro and Roger Clemens had more strikeouts than Schilling (3,116) , period. Just Pedro and Maddux had a better WHIP than Schilling (1.137). And nobody had a better strikeout-walk ratio. In fact, Schilling's K/BB ratio (4.38 whiffs for every walk) ranks No. 1 among ALL PITCHERS IN THE MODERN ERA.

So how compelling are those numbers? And I haven't even mentioned October yet--the month in which he did his finest work of all.

I think he should get in, maybe not on the first ballot but he's been a dominant pitcher for a long time and arguably the best big game pitcher of this generation. Here's a link to the rest of the story:

Schilling--Hall of Famer?