Baseball scoring question

Scenario 1: Groundball to shortstop and they cleanly field the ball but make no throw attempt. Is it a base hit for the batter meaning they score it is an earned run?

Scenario 2: Groundball to shortstop and it glances into the outfield. It is an error, right? And if they score, it is an unearned run.

S1: Well from what I was taught, if it should have been a routine play and an out wasn't recorded, there is two options on scoring. It would either be an error or a fielder's choice. To me, from the sounds of things, it should have been scored a fielder's choice thus making the run earned. IF the fielder had to make an extraordinary attempt at the ball when fielding it when he knocked it down then fielded the ball, it would have been a hit with a RBI making th run earned.

S2: That would be an error...correct. The thing here is if it would be an earned run or not. I've always been told that if the play effects the run scoring then it would be an unearned run. If there was one or no outs and the run was going to score no matter what the fielder did with the ball, then the run could be earned with an RBI as well but IF the error would have been the third out of the inning, then its unearned without an RBI.

Hope that helps!

If a batter reaches on an error and then that same batter/runner scores, the run is unearned since he should not be a runner. Any other runs that score after two outs in that 1/2 inning would also be unearned.

If a batter reaches on an error and then that same batter/runner scores, the run is unearned since he should not be a runner. Any other runs that score after two outs in that 1/2 inning would also be unearned.

I think there would be one exception. If after two outs a relief pitcher comes in and then proceeds to give up runs, those would be charged to that relief pitcher as earned runs.

I think there would be one exception. If after two outs a relief pitcher comes in and then proceeds to give up runs, those would be charged to that relief pitcher as earned runs.

Unearned runs are based on outs not who is pitching. Any runs scored after two outs and an error would be unearned by the staff as the team shouldn't be on the field.

In scenario 1 it would actually have to be scored a base hit. You cannot assume the out if there was no play attempt and you cannot score an error for a "mental mistake." Errors that don't happen aren't errors. At least that's how I've been taught and read.

Unearned runs are based on outs not who is pitching. Any runs scored after two outs and an error would be unearned by the staff as the team shouldn't be on the field.

They can be unearned for the staff but still be earned for the relief pitcher's individual stats.

Scenario 1: Groundball to shortstop and they cleanly field the ball but make no throw attempt. Is it a base hit for the batter meaning they score it is an earned run?

Give us a few more details. Were there runners on base? If so, where? Did a runner distract him and then it was too late to get the batter?

As I understand it you can only have a fielders choice if a put out or error occurs.

I would call scenario 1 a base hit.

In scenario 2 whether it's a hit or an error would depend on if the fielder could have made the play with reasonable effort. If an SS goes a long way towards third base and the ball glances off of his glove I would be inclined to score a base hit because it would have taken extraordinary effort to make the play. The bottom line is that I would really have to see the play to decide.

As I understand it you can only have a fielders choice if a put out or error occurs.

Play: Runner on first running on pitch. Ground ball hit to short who catches it and tries to beat the runner to 2nd but is too late. No throw.

Fielders choice.

In scenario 1 it would actually have to be scored a base hit. You cannot assume the out if there was no play attempt and you cannot score an error for a "mental mistake." Errors that don't happen aren't errors. At least that's how I've been taught and read.

Okay here is my problem with that. The pitcher now gets an earned run counted against him and should not because of a poor decision by the fielder.

The pitcher did his job by inducing a groundball but the fielder did not make the throw.

Play: Runner on first running on pitch. Ground ball hit to short who catches it and tries to beat the runner to 2nd but is too late. No throw.

Fielders choice.

I may be wrong but I would call that a base hit. The runner beat the play.

Okay here is my problem with that. The pitcher now gets an earned run counted against him and should not because of a poor decision by the fielder.

The pitcher did his job by inducing a groundball but the fielder did not make the throw.

But there's no way to score a mental error.

They can be unearned for the staff but still be earned for the relief pitcher's individual stats.

:thumb: Correct.

Example: First two batters retired by Pitcher #1. Next batter reaches on error by fielder. Pitcher #1 is removed and replaced by Pitcher #2. Pitcher #2 (let's call him Weathers, for the sake of this discussion ;)) promptly gives up HR. Pitcher #1 is charged with an unearned run; Weathers (Pitcher #2) is charged with an earned run.

I may be wrong but I would call that a base hit. The runner beat the play.

Its a fielders choice. The batter would have been out but the defender tried for another out. You cannot give it a hit unless you deem the defender to have had no chance at getting the batter.