Baseball scoring question

Okay here is my problem with that. The pitcher now gets an earned run counted against him and should not because of a poor decision by the fielder.

The pitcher did his job by inducing a groundball but the fielder did not make the throw.

If this was a real play that you saw, can you give us some more details?

I may be wrong but I would call that a base hit. The runner beat the play.

I believe this is indeed a fielder's choice.

Per OBR rulebook:

FIELDER'S CHOICE is the act of a fielder who handles a fair grounder and, instead of throwing to first base to put out the batter-runner, throws to another base in an attempt to put out a preceding runner. The term is also used by scorers (a) to account for the advance of the batter-runner who takes one or more extra bases when the fielder who handles his safe hit attempts to put out a preceding runner; (b) to account for the advance of a runner (other than by stolen base or error) while a fielder is attempting to put out another runner; and © to account for the advance of a runner made solely because of the defensive team’s indifference (undefended steal).

There is not a requirement that an out actually be recorded, only an attempt to retire a preceding runner.

Its a fielders choice. The batter would have been out but the defender tried for another out. You cannot give it a hit unless you deem the defender to have had no chance at getting the batter.

I stand corrected. I just looked it up. For about 20 years I had always heard that you ahd to have a put out or error to score a fielders choice.