Ryle 10 Cov Cath 0 (6 innings)

Oh my apologies on the previous comment about the difference making. I agree its hard to win when you don't score, but even if the boys family were to move would he still be required to sit out a year. Not saying his family is moving just inquiring about the rule?

No, a legitimate move is a valid exception to having to sit out a year. However, the issue in this case did not involve him moving.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was making a point. I am surprised at you tonight TOG, you usually call a spade a spade. Your team got smoked today and I fully expected you to come on here tonight and say so.

I too am surprised and quite frankly disappointed in TOG. I usually look forward to his detailed, often biased, but normally accurate reporting of games. You get the "good" the "bad" and details of both teams hitting, etc.

Not tonight......just banter, excuses, and what-ifs???

And to the comment by someone on the CCH players being exhausted from working on he field.....give me a break. With the weather that all teams have experienced, every team has spent many hours prior to games getting fields ready. Suck it up and play....if not cancel the game beforehand if that is your concern.

Nice win Ryle and tough loss Cov. Cath. Move on to the Districts.

I was making a point. I am surprised at you tonight TOG, you usually call a spade a spade. Your team got smoked today and I fully expected you to come on here tonight and say so.

I also was surprised by his reaction, always biased, but fair. But remember one thing guys, these teams may meet again if things fall that way in the region and you better enjoy this one, because you can bet it will be returned to you tenfold if CCH wins the next one. The proper thing to remember though, take your beating, don't make excuses because all teams play shorthanded sometimes, that is why you carry more than 9 players, and someday that beating may come back to you. IMO for this game we give the Ryle boys the credit they deserve, but I still think CovCath wins the region.

I also was surprised by his reaction, always biased, but fair. But remember one thing guys, these teams may meet again if things fall that way in the region and you better enjoy this one, because you can bet it will be returned to you tenfold if CCH wins the next one. The proper thing to remember though, take your beating, don't make excuses because all teams play shorthanded sometimes, that is why you carry more than 9 players, and someday that beating may come back to you. IMO for this game we give the Ryle boys the credit they deserve, but I still think CovCath wins the region.

I agree with most of your statements above, but IMO I don't think there has been outright gloating on this particular thread, just some poking fun at friendly competitors. Ryle has been on the other side in lopsided games this year and I believe if you look back on the Ryle threads where we have lost you will see some credit given to the other teams and an admission if we just plain got beat. All of the Ryle fans I know have the utmost respect for the Cov Cath team and realize if you happen to match up again in the regional that it is a new ball game against a talented team.

I know what you mean about being short handed buy hopefuly, Dylan Campbell and Cory Rieder, both seniors, will be back in time for the Raiders to win the Region again this year. I mean....as long as we're making excuses.

Didn't read each post but the first few were enough. Sounds like a lot of woulda shoulda coulda's mixed in w/a lot of excuses on the CCH side. Kids being suspended, erroros and not hitting is reality in H.S. baseball and very much part of the game. Any team that doesn't hit, makes numerous errors and is missing a key player always has the possibility of losing no matter who they are playing. Eat the lose and get ready for the next game. Obviously, it means nothing!! Maybe Ryle was just a little more focused than CCH on this day.

I agree with most of your statements above, but IMO I don't think there has been outright gloating on this particular thread, just some poking fun at friendly competitors. Ryle has been on the other side in lopsided games this year and I believe if you look back on the Ryle threads where we have lost you will see some credit given to the other teams and an admission if we just plain got beat. All of the Ryle fans I know have the utmost respect for the Cov Cath team and realize if you happen to match up again in the regional that it is a new ball game against a talented team.

Ok, you got me, I enjoy you guys and the poking of the fun. Sometimes it gets ridiculous, but it is a fun read. I have a bad habit of trying to keep the peace. From what I have read in the past, everything with the exception of the Krumme comment, even though that was really clever, was probably deserved.

The CovCath good:

They got the field ready and in great playing condition, for the game on Friday.

The CovCath bad:

Worst defensive and mentally unprepared for a game, that I have seen CovCath play this season.

Error #1 top of the first! SS fielded the ball, but the throw pulled CovCath Isler off of the bag, but a nice heads up play by LaFever who ended the inning with a DP, so no harm, no run.

CovCath doesn't commit an error in the top of the second, but to show the mindset of the CovCath team today.... #24 of Ryle gets a base hit then moves to second on a sac by #18. Man on second one out. #15 gets a base hit, but runner stops at third. Men on 1st and 3rd one out. Ryle #7 hits a pop/line drive to the CovCath SS now two outs. Men still on first and third, two outs. The Ryle number eight batter in the lineup #10 is up with a count of 1 strike, and the Ryle runner on first tries to steal second, the throw is there in plenty of time and the CovCath fielder has the ball in his glove, but instead of applying the tag, he throws the ball to Darner who tags the runner out at third. Now not only myself but the umpires I believe are stunned that the tag at second wasn't made for the third out, but instead the CovCath fielder throws the ball over to third to get the third out. The Ryle Manager is rightly upset by the umpires having to talk to each other about whether the player was out or not, (I don't think there was any doubt about him being out), but more so at the umpires inability to make the call. Everybody around me myself included for the life of us, couldn't understand why the CovCath fielder just didn't tag out the Ryle runner at second!

Top of third and another CovCath error, this one E-5 but again on harm, no run.

End of three complete innings Ryle 0 CovCath 0.

The Top of the fourth and things go bad for CovCath.... First batter up #16 hits a seeing eye double down the right field line that lands just inside the foul line. Man on second no outs. Next batter #24 sac runner to third. One out, man on third. #18 hits a single to score the first run of the game, man on first, one out. #15 then flies out to the CovCath RF, so now two outs and a man on first. #7 gets a nice hit to LF moving the runner up. Two outs men on first and second and #10 is up. In the inning prior, #10 had hit a easy ground ball to the CovCath SS for the first out in the third inning, and sure enough after battling Nutini to a 3-2 count and fouling off an additional two pitches, he grounds the ball to the CovCath SS who throws the ball wide of Isler at first. Everybody is safe, in what should have been the third out of the inning. (Note: Please don't tell me this wasn't an error.) From there it was down hill all the way for CovCath. My guess is that if Niehaus is able to play in this game, Krumps takes Nutini out much earlier in the inning.

CovCath pitching:

Brandon Nutini

4 2/3 innings 20 AB 7 hits 6 runs 1 earned run

John Wehry and Pat Krumme

CovCath Hitting:

2 AB and 1 walk Maile

3 AB 1 hit and reached base FC Darner

2 AB reached base E-2 and 1 walk Isler

2 AB and 1 walk Schlagbaum

From the NKy.com

"We got our butt kicked," CovCath coach Bill Krumpelbeck said. "I don't think we were ready to go. "When I was a player, I was ready every day because it was important to me. I think these days with so much going on with kids that sometimes baseball isn't as much of a priority."

While I will agree with Krumps comment in the paper today, that CovCath got their butts kicked, he went a little over the top with the rest of the statement. IMO, it's not only the players who need to get themselves ready for a game, it's also his job, to do so too!

Krumps needs to take some of the blame for this loss himself. No, need for the manager to be running down his players (even in a poor effort) in the daily local paper. "We got our butt kicked," CovCath coach Bill Krumpelbeck said. "I don't think we were ready to go" and he should have ended the interview right then and there! There was no good reason at all to continue and making the rest of the comment, as it servers no purpose at all. Just my opinion!!!

I have no problem with Coach Krumps comments. Rest assured that he is telling his team the same that he's telling the paper. With #20 at the helm, there isn't much sugar coating. It is what it is.

I have a much bigger problem with the excuses that have been posted on here. And, quite frankly, I think Coach Krumps would as well.

I wasn't at the game, but it sounds like CCH got whipped. A few bad breaks here, a missed ground ball here, a windy fly ball there...whatever it may be, it happens. Krumps will have them back and ready to go when postseason play rolls around.

You can't forget, although an excuse, a valid one. The starting shortstop (captain), the head captain senior captain DH (absent), and the team spent nearly 2 hours getting the field ready to play this game. They were physically and mentally drained.
I must have missed something this year. Holocher a captain--NO WAY. If I am not mistaken they only person I have seen Coach K take with him to the plate is Maile. Ryle really showed a lot yesterday but CCH may be better for the loss. They have a tendency to loss focus from what I have seen. Maybe this will wake them up and realize you have to play every inning every game.

The CovCath good:

They got the field ready and in great playing condition, for the game on Friday.

The CovCath bad:

Worst defensive and mentally unprepared for a game, that I have seen CovCath play this season.

Error #1 top of the first! SS fielded the ball, but the throw pulled CovCath Isler off of the bag, but a nice heads up play by LaFever who ended the inning with a DP, so no harm, no run.

CovCath doesn't commit an error in the top of the second, but to show the mindset of the CovCath team today.... #24 of Ryle gets a base hit then moves to second on a sac by #18. Man on second one out. #15 gets a base hit, but runner stops at third. Men on 1st and 3rd one out. Ryle #7 hits a pop/line drive to the CovCath SS now two outs. Men still on first and third, two outs. The Ryle number eight batter in the lineup #10 is up with a count of 1 strike, and the Ryle runner on first tries to steal second, the throw is there in plenty of time and the CovCath fielder has the ball in his glove, but instead of applying the tag, he throws the ball to Darner who tags the runner out at third. Now not only myself but the umpires I believe are stunned that the tag at second wasn't made for the third out, but instead the CovCath fielder throws the ball over to third to get the third out. The Ryle Manager is rightly upset by the umpires having to talk to each other about whether the player was out or not, (I don't think there was any doubt about him being out), but more so at the umpires inability to make the call. Everybody around me myself included for the life of us, couldn't understand why the CovCath fielder just didn't tag out the Ryle runner at second!

Top of third and another CovCath error, this one E-5 but again on harm, no run.

End of three complete innings Ryle 0 CovCath 0.

The Top of the fourth and things go bad for CovCath.... First batter up #16 hits a seeing eye double down the right field line that lands just inside the foul line. Man on second no outs. Next batter #24 sac runner to third. One out, man on third. #18 hits a single to score the first run of the game, man on first, one out. #15 then flies out to the CovCath RF, so now two outs and a man on first. #7 gets a nice hit to LF moving the runner up. Two outs men on first and second and #10 is up. In the inning prior, #10 had hit a easy ground ball to the CovCath SS for the first out in the third inning, and sure enough after battling Nutini to a 3-2 count and fouling off an additional two pitches, he grounds the ball to the CovCath SS who throws the ball wide of Isler at first. Everybody is safe, in what should have been the third out of the inning. (Note: Please don't tell me this wasn't an error.) From there it was down hill all the way for CovCath. My guess is that if Niehaus is able to play in this game, Krumps takes Nutini out much earlier in the inning.

From the NKy.com

"We got our butt kicked," CovCath coach Bill Krumpelbeck said. "I don't think we were ready to go. "When I was a player, I was ready every day because it was important to me. I think these days with so much going on with kids that sometimes baseball isn't as much of a priority."

While I will agree with Krumps comment in the paper today, that CovCath got their butts kicked, he went a little over the top with the rest of the statement. IMO, it's not only the players who need to get themselves ready for a game, it's also his job, to do so too!

Krumps needs to take some of the blame for this loss himself. No, need for the manager to be running down his players (even in a poor effort) in the daily local paper. "We got our butt kicked," CovCath coach Bill Krumpelbeck said. "I don't think we were ready to go" and he should have ended the interview right then and there! There was no good reason at all to continue and making the rest of the comment, as it servers no purpose at all. Just my opinion!!!

Well, first of all, no offense, but this was far from CCH's worst defensive game of the year. I have heard some horror stories about some of their earlier games this year, especially down in Lexington.

Secondly, why is it any time a good team gets beat, they were "mentally unprepared" for the game? I hear that excuse all the time and just don't get it. Frankly, I think it's just an easy and convenient way that the losing team uses to try to explain away the fact that they were beaten. The simple fact of the matter is that on this particular night, Ryle was the better team. Period. May not be true next time they play. But for this night, it most certainly was.

Lastly, all of what you say above is probably dead on. But, here's the thing: they're high schoolers. If major leaguers make errors and frequently play imperfect games, I hardly think it's unreasonable to expect 16 and 17 year old boys not to do so. Mistakes happen (and happen a lot in high school ball!). It's part of the game. And it's to be expected. Good teams find ways to overcome these mistakes.

Ryle is playing some solid ball as of late. Had a little hiccup against Grant earlier this week, but over the last week and a half, this team has picked it up big time. And at just the right time.

Well, first of all, no offense, but this was far from CCH's worst defensive game of the year. I have heard some horror stories about some of their earlier games this year, especially down in Lexington.

I will answer your question about Lexington, as I attended two of the three games down there. First the weather was as bad with the wind and cold as I have sat in to watch a HS baseball game, and indeed it was the first games of the season. Far different in playing a game with the temps in the low 30's with the wind blowing at a steady 20mph making it feel like the temps were in the teens, than playing in temps in the low 70's.

As far as being mentally unprepared to play a game, come on Coop are you telling me that in all the games you have coached or attended, you couldn't tell your team just wasn't in it? It happens, to every team from time to time no matter who they are....

As far as errors go, I give the kids far more credit for doing well in my posts, far more often than I post negative things about them. Thus that is why many claim I am far to bias toward CovCath in my posting.....

Finally in that Grant County game, do you really think Ryle came ready to play, or if you played Grant County again, do you think you would lose to them again?

BTW Good luck on Tuesday.....

I will answer your question about Lexington, as I attended two of the three games down there. First the weather was as bad with the wind and cold as I have sat in to watch a HS baseball game, and indeed it was the first games of the season. Far different in playing a game with the temps in the low 30's with the wind blowing at a steady 20mph making it feel like the temps were in the teens, than playing in temps in the low 70's.

As far as being mentally unprepared to play a game, come on Coop are you telling me that in all the games you have coached or attended, you couldn't tell your team just wasn't in it? It happens, to every team from time to time no matter who they are....

As far as errors go, I give the kids far more credit for doing well in my posts, far more often than I post negative things about them. Thus that is why many claim I am far to bias toward CovCath in my posting.....

Finally in that Grant County game, do you really think Ryle came ready to play, or if you played Grant County again, do you think you would lose to them again?

BTW Good luck on Tuesday.....

First off, good luck to you all next week. Another Ryle-CCH regional final rematch would be absolutely awesome, IMO. (assuming we win, of course.) :D

Regarding the Grant game: Yes, Ryle came ready to play. But they stunk. It happens in baseball and darn sure happens in high school baseball. I don't believe it had anything to do with them being mentally unprepared for the game. The baseball gods decided, for whatever reason, that Grant would play well and we would stink and the end result was we got smoked. :cry:

Have I ever seen/coached a team that was mentally unprepared to play a game? Heck yes. Do I think that is the reason CCH lost the to Ryle? Heck no. You just can't tell me those boys weren't fired up and ready to play that game. They had a bad game. Ryle had a good game. Put the two together and it resulted in a Ryle run-rule. It happens. Certainly not between these two teams very often, but it happens.

Don't disagree about the Lexington weather factor. But just pointing out that CCH has indeed had some pretty bad defensive games, especially early in the season. I just don't think this was their worst showing.

And, YES, you most certainly do emphasize the positives of the boys! That is why your posts are so enjoyable. That, and the fact that I am convinced if Maile struck out four times in a game, you would declare them the four greatest K's in the history of baseball. :p (Sorry, I just had to take a "tiny" shot!!).