Tennessee Titans Draft

I know there are a few, very few, Titans fans around...just curious what you thought about the draft. They took a lot of criticism for their draft, but I was OK with their picks.

I think the Titans addressed some needs and drafted players for their philosophy...

1 (24) - Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina - Was it a reach? Maybe, maybe not. Most people had Johnson rated fairly high as a RB and the Titans obviously liked and wanted him. I doubt he'd have been available at 54, so I like the pick. The guy ran a 4.24 40-yard dash. He's a perfect fit for the Titans offense, IMO. They already have the power back in LenDale White, so Johnson isn't going to be asked to carry the ball 25 times per game. They can pound the ball with White and try to get the ball to Johnson in space on screens, draws and by splitting him out...I think he's a great fit for the Titans. I look at this pick similar to the Simpson pick for Cincinnati...people question it because they haven't heard of him. But, both guys were rated pretty high, both are great fits for the teams that picked them and I think they'll prove to be smart moves.

2 (54) - Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan - The Titans needed to replace the losses of Odom and LaBoy. Jones has good size for a DE and a nice upside. The Titans have a very good D-line coach, so they should be able to develop him.

3 (85) - Craig Stevens, TE, California - Again, another pick that fits with what the Titans do, Stevens was rated as possibly the best blocking TE in the draft. He should fit well in Tennessee and help them in the running game and pass protection.

4 (103) - William Hayes, DL, Winston-Salem State - Not sure about this one...again, the Titans are very good at developing defensive linemen and they obviously some potential and something they felt like they could work with here. I really think they could have got him later.

4 (126) - Lavelle Hawkins, WR, California - A good value at #126...Hawkins was a productive player in college. He doesn't have great speed, but he's quick and could be a good slot receiver.

4 (134) - Stanford Keglar, OLB, Purdue - I really like this pick at #134. Keglar is a great athlete with good size...he has a big upside and the Titans needed some depth at LB. In Keglar, I think they added a guy who will give them depth and could develop into a very good player.

7 (229) - Cary Williams, CB, Washburn - Worth taking a shot at #229...Williams has good size (6-1, 185) for a corner and he's got good speed. He was also a kick returner in college and he had an impressive career, but can he make the jump in competition to the NFL? The Titans are pretty good and finding and developing players, particularly on defense...with his potential, I think he was worth a late pick.

Overall, I'd give the Titans a C+...the only pick I really question is Hayes in the 4th round at 103, but I can give them the benefit of the doubt on one pick, especially with their track record on defensive picks. I thought they did a good job of addressing some needs and picking guys who fit with their philosophy. The Titans aren't going to turn into an air-it-out team, so the obsession with drafting a WR by most scouts wasn't a big deal to me. I thought Hawkins and Keglar were very good picks in the 4th who could develop into big contributors and Williams at the end has the potential to develop into a solid corner and return man.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Titans will not become an air it out team, but they needed a true #1 reciever to keep teams honest or at least a WR that can challenge for a starting role. I think the draft fell to them and they did not take advantage of it.

The Titans will not become an air it out team, but they needed a true #1 reciever to keep teams honest or at least a WR that can challenge for a starting role. I think the draft fell to them and they did not take advantage of it.

The general consensus was that there weren't any #1 WR's in this draft. They were prepared to take one in round 2...Sweed in particular, but the Steelers nabbed him the pick before, so they addressed another need. I think the Titans not taking a WR early is the most overblown topic of this draft.

5wide, what are the Titans going to do with Chris Brown or Chris Henry? I was under the impression that Henry was the speed to White's power.

I really like the Lavell Hawkins pick as well. He will be a successful NFL player. He may me better than Jackson out of Cal.

The general consensus was that there weren't any #1 WR's in this draft. They were prepared to take one in round 2...Sweed in particular, but the Steelers nabbed him the pick before, so they addressed another need. I think the Titans not taking a WR early is the most overblown topic of this draft.

So you like the receiving core that they have in Tennessee? How many RB's do they need? Didn't they draft a RB on the first day of the last 2 drafts?

So you like the receiving core that they have in Tennessee? How many RB's do they need? Didn't they draft a RB on the first day of the last 2 drafts?

I disagreed with the RB pick as well, but I wouldn't be too worried with the WR's there, as 5wide, it is overblown. If Crumpler becomes productive again, he is a good target underneath, and I believe that Justin Gage will surprise a lot of people with his ability to make the big play and go deep.

Lavell Hawkins could wind up as the best pick of this draft to, he is solid.

I disagreed with the RB pick as well, but I wouldn't be too worried with the WR's there, as 5wide, it is overblown. If Crumpler becomes productive again, he is a good target underneath, and I believe that Justin Gage will surprise a lot of people with his ability to make the big play and go deep.

Lavell Hawkins could wind up as the best pick of this draft to, he is solid.

For the titans sake I hope so...

Teams didn't respect the Titans passing game because their running backs were sloooooooow, causing defenses to drop people into coverage against the receivers.

I think Johnson and Hawkins will be solid contributors for the Titans. Johnson is a good receiver out of the backfield, something the Titans haven't had and something they don't get from White or Henry. When Heimerdinger was the OC in 2000, Eddie George was the third leading receiver behind Mason and Wycheck. He likes his backs to catch the ball out of the backfield. To me, that was a bigger need than drafting another receiver.

The addition of Crumpler, McCareins, and now Johnson -- while not earthshattering -- are an upgrade over what they had last year.

Hawkins will be the sleeper. In the fall, he was listed among the top five receivers in the nation. The Titans will like this pick in five years.

5wide, what are the Titans going to do with Chris Brown or Chris Henry? I was under the impression that Henry was the speed to White's power.

I really like the Lavell Hawkins pick as well. He will be a successful NFL player. He may me better than Jackson out of Cal.

I'm pretty sure Chris Brown is gone. White is the #1...he's the workhorse.

I expect Henry to be backup to White and probably get a few carries...but Chris Henry is a much different player than Chris Johnson...he is fast (I think he ran a 4.37 last year), but he's 5-11, 230 pounds. Henry is a fast guy, who is built to be a workhorse.

Johnson is smaller and quicker...he's more of a change-of-pace back who will complement White. He can also be split out and return kicks...so, I expect the Titans to find ways to get him the ball in space. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use him kind of like the Saints use Reggie Bush (when Deuce is healthy). With his game breaking speed and versatility from the RB position, I think he was a better pick for the Titans than reaching for a WR who wasn't worth a first round pick. I think he's a great fit with the Titans and what they want to do...they're a team that likes to play physical and grind it out. A guy who could produce some big plays could have a huge impact for a team that plays a lot of close games. I think about the Bears and how valuable Devin Hester was to them as a return man in their Super Bowl year.

Certainly, I'd love to see the Titans upgrade the WR group by adding an elite guy...a legit #1. But, that guy just wasn't there...so I'd rather see them make smarter picks rather than reach for a WR just because Steve Young says you have to pass and score 30 points per game to compete. He says they can't compete in the AFC South by winning games 13-10 and cited the Colts and Jags...yet, the Titans split with those teams and have almost always been competitive with them. The Titans are one of the most physical teams in the league...they wear teams down on both sides of the ball by smacking them in the mouth. They can win playing that way...it's just a matter of getting the right pieces in place.

Considering their offensive philosophy, I think Johnson was the better pick. They'll get the ball in his hands more, so he'll have more opportunities to make big plays and impact the game more than a WR will, IMO. With Crumpler at TE, I think the WR's they have will be good enough. Plus, I have a lot of faith in the Titans ability to develop players...I also love Heimerdinger as the OC. I think they'll bring Young along similar to the way they did McNair. I think the addition of Crumpler was huge as well...

Teams didn't respect the Titans passing game because their running backs were sloooooooow, causing defenses to drop people into coverage against the receivers.

I think Johnson and Hawkins will be solid contributors for the Titans. Johnson is a good receiver out of the backfield, something the Titans haven't had and something they don't get from White or Henry. When Heimerdinger was the OC in 2000, Eddie George was the third leading receiver behind Mason and Wycheck. He likes his backs to catch the ball out of the backfield. To me, that was a bigger need than drafting another receiver.

The addition of Crumpler, McCareins, and now Johnson -- while not earthshattering -- are an upgrade over what they had last year.

Hawkins will be the sleeper. In the fall, he was listed among the top five receivers in the nation. The Titans will like this pick in five years.

:thumb:

I agree. They need somebody who can make some big plays for them and Johnson could be that guy. Plus, with Vince Young at QB, I think the Titans will utilize a lot of swing passes and screens...with Johnson in that position, those are "safe" pass plays that could go for big gains when you're getting the ball in space into the hands of a guy with 4.24 speed. I think Crumpler will be a huge safety valve for Young which could help him develop as a passer...similar to McNair and Wycheck.

I like what the Titans have done this off-season and with the draft...they're putting the pieces together.

Chris Brown has been signed by the Texans.

Chris Henry had trouble learning the plays last year. From what I gather, he's one of those in the huddle you have to tell where to run.

Which will be fine as long as he only has to be on the field for about 5 or 6 snaps per game...:lol:

I didn't like that pick last year because he was a "workout warrior" and I'm always skeptical...there is a reason why those guys didn't produce in college despite all the physical gifts. But, as long as LenDale stays healthy, perhaps they can work with Henry and eventually make a player out of him. He's definitely got all the physical gifts...size and speed...to be an elite runner.

I think the Titans might have their own combo like McAllister/Bush with the Saints. To be honest, I'm pretty excited about seeing what Chris Johnson can do. I'm not expecting him to be great right off the bat, but I do expect something...and I'm hoping he'll develop into a big-time threat with some experience. A 4.24 is insane speed...but the important thing is that he's a football player with great speed and not a guy with great speed who doesn't know how to play.