Court decides athiest's son can attend St. X

Judge: Teen can attend St. X over dad’s objection

Highlights:

“The court cannot compel David Ryan to send his child to a religious school” and “likewise this court cannot prohibit Susan Bisig from sending her child to a religious school,” Feeley wrote in an eight-page ruling.

“What this court must do is make custody decisions considering the best interest of the child,” Feeley said. “The clear best interest of this child is supported by the mother’s position.”

Feeley cited several reasons for his ruling, including St X’s “excellent academic environment.”

He noted that Michael has already been baptized in the family’s church, is scheduled to receive the Catholic sacrament of confirmation this spring, and even if he were to attend a secular school, he would be free to continue his religious training an upbringing.

Feeley also said Michael’s therapist and court-appointed counselor said it was his “clear desire” to attend St X., after “shadowing” at five schools, including Kentucky Country Day, South Oldham High School, Manual High School and Trinity High School.

Feeley said that the section of Kentucky’s constitution cited by Ryan “ironically” was intended to prevent parents from being forced to send their child to public schools, if they favored religious education.

Finally, he said that Ryan’s expert witness, a retired educator from Georgia, who testified that Kentucky Country Day would be the best place for Michael, was clearly biased, as evidenced by his testimony that he agreed with the philosophy that “indoctrination of children in a religious belief constitutes a form of child abuse.”

If the kid wanted to go then let him. The whole thing sounded like a bitter divorced guy trying to get a dig in at the ex. Oh and PepRock. I love to pic. I'm a huge BSG fan.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking but wasn't going to post!

This judge and court got it right.

Let's hope there is no appeal and some judge higher up sees it differently.

I think this is wishful thinking. The attorney was on a Louisville radio talk show last week and there is little doubt that the interests of the son are of little concern to him. He is pushing the athiest agenda and is being backed by whatever the national athlest organization is called.

He made it very clear that he thinks that anyone who has any religious belief is basically delusional and inferior to him.

I think this is wishful thinking. The attorney was on a Louisville radio talk show last week and there is little doubt that the interests of the son are of little concern to him. He is pushing the athiest agenda and is being backed by whatever the national athlest organization is called.

He made it very clear that he thinks that anyone who has any religious belief is basically delusional and inferior to him.

Unfortunately, this does not surprise me at the least and what I feared.

I think someone said when this is finally decided in the courts, the young man will be an alum of St. X.

Of course, I think someone else posted that he will experience four years of watching Trinity win state football championships.:D:sssh::lol:;):jump::p:banana:

I love it when I'm right. About both Tim Feeley and what the criterion would be.

I'm glad you were right, Hearsay. But I still don't understand why he couldn't have ruled this way when Mr. Ryan wanted to pursue his "rights" while his son was in grade school. That would have saved a whole passel of trouble, IMO.