Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Long time Newport Coach has passed away

Featured Replies

I have been informed that long time Newport head coach Ray Brown passed away overnight. Very sad to hear, I think almost everyone that played for him loved the guy. I'll never forget playing for him and some of the things he used to say. He was a hell of a guy who will really be missed.:cry:

Wow. This is a complete shocker. Had he been sick prior to this? I just saw him the week before spring break, as he was subbing up at the high school. He seemed to be in good spirits and cracking jokes like usual. This is very sad news and a big loss to the Newport community.:cry:

  • Author

Im not sure, I havent heard the cause of his death. It's been a little while since I have seen him. I know he smoked quite a bit or at least he used to not sure if that was it or not. I'll try to find out more.

Very sad news. When I played against Newport back n the 80's, he was the one Coach I looked forward to seeing. He was not only a great Coach, but also took time to ask how things were going. It didn't matter if you were from the other Team or not, he always spoke to me. RIP Coach.

Great coach, friend and mentor. Coach Brown should be looked at as one of the best coaches in the history of the ninth region. He will be missed greatly!

A huge loss not only for the Newport School and Community but the entire NKY community as Coach Brown was one of those truly quality coaches and an even better man. He will be greatly missed. My sympathy goes out to everyone whose heart is aching over this loss.

Coach Ray Brown will be truly missed. He was a great man. Always took the time to ask you how you were doing. Seemed like he never forgot a face. RIP Coach Brown, I'm sure there's a team in heaven waiting for you to coach.:cry:

Ray and I went head to head many of times back in the day.

I can't think of many coaches who I enjoyed having my teams play against as Ray's Wildcats. First, because you knew it was going to be a battle against a tough, well prepared team. Second, you got the pleasure of spending the day with Ray.

Few men truly enjoyed spending the day at a ballpark as Ray.

My only hope is that St. Peter got him a fungo and a bucket of balls and put him to work as soon as he got there.

My prayers are with his family.

Ray was a great coach and even better person. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. R.I.P. my friend.

Great coach, friend and mentor. Coach Brown should be looked at as one of the best coaches in the history of the ninth region. He will be missed greatly!

 

 

In my eyes, he was the best Coach in the 9th region.

Oh wow. This is unbelievably sad news. Ray was a tremendous baseball guy, and for those of us that knew him, we knew he was an even better person. His sense of humor HAD to stick out once you got to know him. As a young coach in the ninth, he gave me respect along with a friendly competitiveness. Ray, you will be truly missed by everyone in the community.

  • Author

I'll probably remember Ray more for some of the things he said more than anything. He always made me laugh, I really got a kick out of being around him.

Wow...

Sad sad day for baseball fans in NKY.

One of the funniest guys that I have ever been around, and he knew the game and taught the game...he may not have always had the personnel but they were going to compete.

RIP Coach

  • Author

I was told he suffered a Heart Attack. They said he had one before this one recently as well.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.