Long time Newport Coach has passed away

I have been informed that long time Newport head coach Ray Brown passed away overnight. Very sad to hear, I think almost everyone that played for him loved the guy. I'll never forget playing for him and some of the things he used to say. He was a hell of a guy who will really be missed.:cry:

Wow. This is a complete shocker. Had he been sick prior to this? I just saw him the week before spring break, as he was subbing up at the high school. He seemed to be in good spirits and cracking jokes like usual. This is very sad news and a big loss to the Newport community.:cry:

Very sad news. When I played against Newport back n the 80's, he was the one Coach I looked forward to seeing. He was not only a great Coach, but also took time to ask how things were going. It didn't matter if you were from the other Team or not, he always spoke to me. RIP Coach.

A huge loss not only for the Newport School and Community but the entire NKY community as Coach Brown was one of those truly quality coaches and an even better man. He will be greatly missed. My sympathy goes out to everyone whose heart is aching over this loss.

Ray and I went head to head many of times back in the day.

I can't think of many coaches who I enjoyed having my teams play against as Ray's Wildcats. First, because you knew it was going to be a battle against a tough, well prepared team. Second, you got the pleasure of spending the day with Ray.

Few men truly enjoyed spending the day at a ballpark as Ray.

My only hope is that St. Peter got him a fungo and a bucket of balls and put him to work as soon as he got there.

My prayers are with his family.

Oh wow. This is unbelievably sad news. Ray was a tremendous baseball guy, and for those of us that knew him, we knew he was an even better person. His sense of humor HAD to stick out once you got to know him. As a young coach in the ninth, he gave me respect along with a friendly competitiveness. Ray, you will be truly missed by everyone in the community.