Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Long time Newport Coach has passed away

Featured Replies

I was told he suffered a Heart Attack. They said he had one before this one recently as well.

 

That's what I was told also. The Brown family is a great family. I knew his father as well and Ray was just like his father. Always fun to be around and always a hard nose when it came to discipline. Ray would always have his teams and classrooms prepared. I know Grady teahes the same way. You've got to respect those men -- they always tell it like it is. I wish the Brown family well and my deepest regards. RIP Ray --

Didn’t know Ray for long but the time I got to spend getting to know him in the past 4 years I realized what a unique individual he was....he was definitely one of kind. He really cared for the kids he taught and coached. The stories he would tell were legendary. I know he will be truly missed by all. RIP Coach Brown…..

I used to love when we traveled across the creek to play Newport back in high school and loved hearing Ray's screams from the 3rd base coaching area. He really cared about his kids. Later in my adult life when I first purchased a house in Ft. Thomas I remember moving in and out comes Ray Brown on the porch next store. He was a fine coach, a fine neighbor while I lived next to him for 5 yrs and just a great role model.

 

I know 4 yrs ago he had a bad heart attack and they told him he had to stop smoking and do all kinds of things to get in better shape. I know it was hard for him at that time he told me so as much as this is a shock to me I probably understand how it happened this time. R.I.P Ray you will go down as a legendary coach in NKY.

Came back from a fishing trip to learn of Ray's sudden death.

 

Ray, Grady, and I played softball for Buzzy's Buzzards back in the day and I remember Ray, Grady, and their dad (Chew-gum) making an annual trip to Ellis Park in Henderson, Kentucky.

When I was the freshmen basketball coach at Brossart we always gave the visiting team a free soft-drink after the game, and every year when I'd go to schedule Newport they always insisted that we play at our place. Their kids didn't care about home court advantage - just loved the free pop!

Ray liked to stop in at River Downs on occasion and bet a buck or two on the bangtails.

 

Tragic loss to the entire Northern Kentucky Sports Community.

 

One of the most committed coaches ever - loved his Wildcats - he will be missed.

A great human being will be missed. My sympathies to his family.

Touched a lot of lives outside of Newport as well, tremendous loss to us all.

This is very very sad news. I've known Coach Brown for over a decade. He was one of the most genuine men that I've ever met. Very funny, very funny. I told my Dad about this and he was pretty upset as well. This will tell you all you need to know. When we were playing knothole, we were having trouble getting the field at NewCath to make up a rain out game. On our team we had 8 kids who did or would start varsity at NewCath, 2 that would start at Highlands, and only 1 kid that went to Newport. We called up Coach Brown and without hesitation he let these kids from NewCath and Highlands come down, and he made all the arrangements with the city to get the field lined and ready to play that night. Class Act.

Very sad news. When I played against Newport back n the 80's, he was the one Coach I looked forward to seeing. He was not only a great Coach, but also took time to ask how things were going. It didn't matter if you were from the other Team or not, he always spoke to me. RIP Coach.

 

WOW, I couldn't have said it better. He was the one coach I played again that I looked forward to seeing and talking. Even years after, he always asked how I was doing... RIP Coach Brown

  • Author

Here is the info on his layout and funeral for anyone interested.

 

Visitation will be 4 to 9 p.m. Tuesday , April 8 at A.C. Dobbling & Son Funeral Home, Fort Thomas. Service will be 10 a.m. Wednesday , April 9 at the funeral home. Burial will be in Grandview Cemetery, Mentor, Ky.

I attended the visitation last night for Coach Ray Brown and it was amazing to see the turn out. I stood in line for about two hours and once I was up to the casket Grady was there to greet everyone. Saw the old bucket that Coach Ray used during the games, the awards, and all the other items celebrating Coach Ray's life. It was also nice to see so many old classmates and team mates as well. Coach Ray looked good and everyone during the wait was commenting on him. Coach Ray was truly a great man and he touched so many lives. I'm quite sure that Grady will continue the teaching that he has learned from his brother. May you rest in peace Coach Ray -- you will be truly missed and may God bless the Brown family.

Coach Brown helped more kids than we will ever know

He came across like a hard guy when you saw the style of his coaching but like you said Artsy, he touched many kids' lives and was a Father figure to numerous kids who didnt have a father.

  • Author
I attended the visitation last night for Coach Ray Brown and it was amazing to see the turn out. I stood in line for about two hours and once I was up to the casket Grady was there to greet everyone. Saw the old bucket that Coach Ray used during the games, the awards, and all the other items celebrating Coach Ray's life. It was also nice to see so many old classmates and team mates as well. Coach Ray looked good and everyone during the wait was commenting on him. Coach Ray was truly a great man and he touched so many lives. I'm quite sure that Grady will continue the teaching that he has learned from his brother. May you rest in peace Coach Ray -- you will be truly missed and may God bless the Brown family.

 

Man I remember that bucket very well. He used to always have some type of Jolly Ranchers or Life savers in there. I used to steal all kinds of goodies out of there.:D

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.