Do you like the district tournament format?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm in the minority on the blind draw. But one question hasn't been addressed on the seeding. If seeding is made the rule for all districts and say for regionals too, wheather it's girls or boys teams, I think you'll see some schools complain about scheduling district and regional opponents instead of higher profile games. I feel if your going to seed, then you should play each district opponent twice, home & away, and the rest of the region once, alternating home games everyother year. In the case of Mason Co. for instance the boys would have been affected worse than than the girls, but they would of had to drop a few higher profile games to accomodate the required minimum amount of games for district and regional seeding games. Just in case some people didn't realize that the Mason boys didn't play a single regular season district game, they would have been forced to drop 3 games against non-region opponents. If those games dropped would have been all home games, just for example purposes, they may not have played Scott Co., Elliott Co., and Bryan Station a second time. Just some food for thought.

I agree with you. This would hurt some programs that try to put together a very competitive schedule.

You gave an example of the boys schedule and this is in the girls forum, but it goes for both programs.

I agree with you. This would hurt some programs that try to put together a very competitive schedule.

You gave an example of the boys schedule and this is in the girls forum, but it goes for both programs.

Sorry about that Gold, but I was trying to make the point about schedule restrictions which was easier to do on the boys schedule. But as for the Mason Co. girls they would have had to drop 1 game to play Augusta at least one time and probably drop a holiday tourny schedule to fit the minimum amount of regional games that would be required under my scenario. I personally feel you should be required to play all district opponents and a set number of regional opponents regardless of how the post season tournaments are drawn.

I agree with Seeding and advancement, based off District. How would the Regional seeding be done.

Overall best record in the Region, gets #1. Then, remaining teams are placed accordingly or another method?

Region would be tough to seed. And I can see where its less important because only one team advances to state.

So, you want to seed the district part of the tournament when no other part of the tournament is truly seeded?

And then if you seed, the only fair way to seed is with a required home and home game against each team in the district. So you require a team like Mason County who wants to travel and play some of the top teams in the state in tournaments to have to cancel out of one or maybe two of those to play 6 games against district foes that are not going to challenge them.

I like it as it is.

I think to some extent it, your perspective on how to run it is based on your past experiences and such. I played basketball in Ohio, and then coached in Ohio. I like the superdraw they do, and how it is seeded by the coaches. Most Ohioans look over the river and think the KY way is crazy and confusing. I was one of them. Being over here for almost a year now, I am picking it up. And I am sure a lot of KY people look over to Ohio and think there way is crazy and confusing. I personally like seeding. However, reading some postings on here, I understand why some of the small schools prefer random draws because it is the only chance they have a lot of the time to get a banner. It all depends on perspective I guess.....

I think to some extent it, your perspective on how to run it is based on your past experiences and such. I played basketball in Ohio, and then coached in Ohio. I like the superdraw they do, and how it is seeded by the coaches. Most Ohioans look over the river and think the KY way is crazy and confusing. I was one of them. Being over here for almost a year now, I am picking it up. And I am sure a lot of KY people look over to Ohio and think there way is crazy and confusing. I personally like seeding. However, reading some postings on here, I understand why some of the small schools prefer random draws because it is the only chance they have a lot of the time to get a banner. It all depends on perspective I guess.....

The banner is not the only benefit. The 10th Region boys split of the regional pot is about $5,000. ONLY the 8 teams that make it to the regional get that money.

Imagine what $5,000 would do for a small school's budget.

Many moons ago, I was told that Deming made it to the regional and redid their gym's PA system with the regional funds. Something they could not do with their regular budget.

The blind draw helps share the wealth instead of the rich always getting richer.

How about this idea? Do away with the district tournaments, have all teams play each other once during regular season 1\2 home 1\2 away alternating each year. Seed these teams according to regional record, have one tourney with all 16 teams participating, at various sites or one neutral site, doesn't matter, and split the proceeds evenly or pro-rated according to how many games a team participates in. That would really make the regular season count for something. Just a thought.

How about this idea? Do away with the district tournaments, have all teams play each other once during regular season 1\2 home 1\2 away alternating each year. Seed these teams according to regional record, have one tourney with all 16 teams participating, at various sites or one neutral site, doesn't matter, and split the proceeds evenly or pro-rated according to how many games a team participates in. That would really make the regular season count for something. Just a thought.

I like this idea!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

And regions with more than 16 teams would do what?

And just to make this clear, you are going to tie up 15 (MINIMUM) of the 20something games you are allowed to play against regional foes. This would kill the tournaments around the state. As well as any hope of playing teams outside your region.

The district tournament format may not be fair to all of the teams that play a tough region and have the record and resume to make it to state, but fail to because of the tough region they are in, but part of the postseason are the Cinderella teams, so to speak, that make it to the postseason and do well. Upsets wouldn't necessarily happen if you have the top 16 teams playing one another. I mean they would, but it just wouldn't be the same. I agree all districts should be seeded, but the format should stay the same, because teams deserve that last chance to make it to the postseason no matter what their record is going into the postseason. That's just how I feel. The postseason your record is 0-0 and everyone deserves a fresh start and a chance to advance to postseason play.

And regions with more than 16 teams would do what?

And just to make this clear, you are going to tie up 15 (MINIMUM) of the 20something games you are allowed to play against regional foes. This would kill the tournaments around the state. As well as any hope of playing teams outside your region.

Most regions only have 16 teams or less, there are only a few 5 team districts left in the state, if more than 16 you could have a play in game like the ncaa does with the bottom 2 teams. As far as regular season games being tied up, looking at some of the schedules on the khsaa, most teams play 10-12 games against their region anyway. So your only adding a few opponents. Ive heard talk that teams are going to be encouraged to play closer to home next year because of gas prices and othr financial problems.

Most teams play their district opponents twice during regular season, by playing them once, you can add other teams in those dates. Two holiday tournaments can get you an extra 8 games counting as two, that leaves 6 dates to play competition outside your region. Total count would be 15 regional games and 14 games outside the region, if you traveled for your holiday tourneys.