Top lineman in Northern KY 2008

NCBIRD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to hear from the Dixie's, Cov. Cath's, Ryle's faithful, to name a few. Really want to know who's out there, size, year, and returning starter or not.

Dixie will have a Bigger and Quicker line then last year ! Two returning starters and 4 or 5 that played alot as Soph's !

After having a full season starting on the OL and a State Championship under his belt, I look for Adam Dempsey to be the leader of the OL this season for the Birds. Along with him, Junior to be Hunter Schlosser will make for an extremely powerful side. I expect the competition for the OL will be very interesting in Birdland this spring and summer. Good Luck to all of you!

Size?

For what its worth, size doesn't mean squat in high school football. Helps you get a college scholarship, but I've seen so many big linemen in high school get whipped by smaller, quicker, better coached linemen over the years, it makes me sick. Way too many linemen get picked for the various all state teams based on size, rather than performance. I'll take small, quick linemen with good technique over big linemen any day.

After having a full season starting on the OL and a State Championship under his belt, I look for Adam Dempsey to be the leader of the OL this season for the Birds. Along with him, Junior to be Hunter Schlosser will make for an extremely powerful side. I expect the competition for the OL will be very interesting in Birdland this spring and summer. Good Luck to all of you!

Adam Dempsey proved the point I made in my prior post. Not the biggest kid at all (actually very lean), not the strongest either. But he had a very quick first and second step and had great technique. Those attributes enabled him to block bigger, stronger kids all year long. He's a good one for sure.

And I agree with you that there will be some intense competition on the o line this year.

For what its worth, size doesn't mean squat in high school football. Helps you get a college scholarship, but I've seen so many big linemen in high school get whipped by smaller, quicker, better coached linemen over the years, it makes me sick. Way too many linemen get picked for the various all state teams based on size, rather than performance. I'll take small, quick linemen with good technique over big linemen any day.

Doesn't necessarily make me sick...HHS has a great tradition of smaller, quicker, better coached linemen whipping bigger, slower linemen, many of which get D1 looks. I contend it's the result of the excellent coaching they get early from the FTJFL all the way through to Coach Turner @ HHS. I know my son, Crunch's son, LN's son(s), and many others can directly trace the foundation of their success to a certain FTJFL line coach who was a stickler for technique and desire. They owe him a hearty "thanks"! :thumb:

I was just courious, I didn't say it meant much.:irked:

Doesn't necessarily make me sick...HHS has a great tradition of smaller, quicker, better coached linemen whipping bigger, slower linemen, many of which get D1 looks. I contend it's the result of the excellent coaching they get early from the FTJFL all the way through to Coach Turner @ HHS. I know my son, Crunch's son, LN's son(s), and many others can directly trace the foundation of their success to a certain FTJFL line coach who was a stickler for technique and desire. They owe him a hearty "thanks"! :thumb:

Agreed:thumb:

Tell me who that guy is so I can learn some things from him.:banana:

And I agree with you about Turner. He has to be one of the best O line coaches in Ky high school.

^ I would but...you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

You got the "old" part right for sure.

We've had a nice run of former Blue teamers start on the Highlands O line for several years. Hopefully next year with Adam returning we can have at least two former Blue teamers again start on the O line. I know of at least two others that are working hard to make that happens.