Out-of State student proposal rejected by BOE

All Tell

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you saying that Bell Co. DOES have Out of State Sudents? If so, is there a reciprocal agreement in place, or do those students have to pay tuition?

Sure, we have never said that we do not accept out of district students and they are out of district. They pay tuition. The principal and many of the teachers live in TN.

This is where financial aid comes in. They get no help and need it more than many. Not just because they are from Tn. but this area in general.

Do you know the exact dollar amount that they would pay?

Would that amount be less than/greater than/equal to what students at Private Schools who recive some/maximum/no tuition assistance pay?

Is is against the law for Bell County to offer Tuition Assistance?

Do you know the exact dollar amount that they would pay?

Would that amount be less than/greater than/equal to what students at Private Schools who recive some/maximum/no tuition assistance pay?

Is is against the law for Bell County to offer Tuition Assistance?

The $ amount is a non-issue. Look at our area vs yours so with that said the money would be about the same. Out of 374 students at my sons grade school 71 are not on free and reduced lunch.

The $ amount is a non-issue. Look at our area vs yours so with that said the money would be about the same. Out of 374 students at my sons grade school 71 are not on free and reduced lunch.

Why is the money a non-issue? If a student lives in my neighborhood and goes to a public school in my neighborhood they will not pay tuition, but if they go to the private school they will pay tuition. No matter how much financial assistance that they recive, they will still pay more than going to the public school. I want to get an idea if the students that are out of district and pay tuition to go to the public school pay less, more, or the same. You have gone on about how you couldn't get financial aid to an out of district school.

I Don't care if they GIVE you 1$. I can't get it in the public school.

Lets say that a generous donor gave the Bell County School system $1 million to do what they wish. Why can't they offer tuition assistance to those students outside the district? Is is against the law?

So in other words all but 71 are on need based financial asssistance?

I really get tired of the KHSAA and others that try to "compromise" with alternative suggestions. What they are doing is trying to deflect the real issues and dodge what really needs to be done. They need to address this and put it to rest, instead they want the state to think about an out-of-state kid taking the place of one of our own. If ours is better, he will play. Just address the real issues in the debate. I don't see where out of state has anything to do with public/private issue.

If there is a split then maybe the out of state issue will be address, I just think that they want to put the cart before the horse.

I agree 100% Answerthebell.

Out of state students is a minor issue for me. The only reason I oppose changing is becasue it wouldn't be changed across the board. If ALL public schools stop then I have no problem if ALL private schoold have to do the same.

I don't think that MS students should play HS sports, I have always felt that way even when I was a public school person.

Exactly. If no exceptions are made, it is not a public vs private issue.

So in other words all but 71 are on need based financial asssistance?

Are you really trying to compare someone paying tuition to attend a private school to providing a breakfast and lunch to a child that cannot afford their own lunch and breakfast?

If the child who receives financial assistance for the private school does not get it, they get a good education at a public school.

If the child who does not receive free or reduced lunch does not get lunch, I guess they can always go through the trash cans of the local fast food restaurant for meals.

And please do not insult me and say I am exaggerating because I am not. I know for fact that there are kids who HATE SUMMERTIME because they don't get to eat like they do during school.

Presently, there are programs that send home groceries with the kids for the weekend so they can eat over the weekend.

Is it not need based assistance?

All I am saying is that it is not factually accurate to say that students in public schools can't recieve financial aid.

And I am still waiting for someone to answer if public schools that take students on a tuition basis CAN'T or DON'T offer finincial assistance if needed.

Because the Post Office is in KY, the US government deems the enitre Military Base to be in the State of KY. The school is actually located in what would be Tennesse.

Fort Campbell and Fort Knox (along with the school for the Deaf and School for the Blind) were specifically exempted from this proposal all along as I read it (as they are the D1 and F1 schools). That issue doesn't even need to be brought up.

I'm wondering if this; a true extension of the Transfer Rule unlike Proposal 2, were enacted and left alone for a year or two, help ease tensions.

Total agree.

From someone who actively fought the completely irrational Proposal 2 this rule makes complete sense.

It should be the nicknamed 'the big dog rule'. If you are going to run with the big dogs, you play by their rules. This will make students and, more importantly, pushy bragging parents think twice about playing up if they are not sure as to their educational path.

BTW, some privates (LC at least is one) have already voluntarily adopted this rule.