Out-of State student proposal rejected by BOE

All Tell

Is it not need based assistance?

Your first post said it was need based financial assistance. Free/Reduced Lunch is not. It is providing them food, no financial aid.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/lunch/AboutLunch/NSLPFactSheet.pdf

And for the record, the same thing that you claim is a need based assistance for public school students is available for private school students.

The National School Lunch Program is a federally assisted meal program operating in over 101,000 public and non-profit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to more than 30 million children each school day in 2006. In 1998, Congress expanded the National School Lunch Program to include reimbursement for snacks served to children in afterschool educational and enrichment programs to include children through 18 years of age.

If your school chooses to not participate in the National School Lunch Program, that would be a self-imposed limitation on themselves.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in other words all but 71 are on need based financial asssistance?

Are you kidding me? What this says is all but 71 struggle to feed their kids, not to mention tuition to come to a school. This type of thinking is what adds fuel to the fire in discussion. I hear the private say that we pay double in tuition so it works out to a wash...you have free education so you can't complain.......and now our need to feed children is consider financial aid? Stop with the comparisons...they are two totally different educational institutions with different policies and guidelines, that create sports advantages.

LBBC you're finally getting it.

I was fully aware that private schools could participate in the free/reduced lunch program and that's where my parallel to the financial aid program comes in.

Some private schools CHOOSE not to participate. I would never suggest that those that choose not to participate should be in a separate tier either academically or athletically with those that chose to. I am still waiting for someone to tell me if public schools could start a financial aid program if they chose to. If they can then as far as I'm concerned they have no place to complain about those that chose to do so.

Are you kidding me? What this says is all but 71 struggle to feed their kids, not to mention tuition to come to a school. This type of thinking is what adds fuel to the fire in discussion. I hear the private say that we pay double in tuition so it works out to a wash...you have free education so you can't complain.......and now our need to feed children is consider financial aid? Stop with the comparisons...they are two totally different educational institutions with different policies and guidelines, that create sports advantages.

No I'm not kidding you at all. It's called an analogy.

I assume KY will begin allowing out of state citizens access to the KY government entitlement programs.

If the state is not going to allow out state students to play athletics, then they should not allow them to attend school at all. They either are or are not students. You can't be sort of pregnant.

Serious question. Can the Bell County School system accept students from out of district, or from out of state?

Is it agianst the law for the Bell County School system(if they had the funds available) to distribute need based financial aid to offset tuition costs for out of district students?

Yes, if they pay tuition.

I don't know if it against the law. I would think that the money would have to come from a donor, earmarked for that purpose. Then after thinking about that it would be the same as a church giving money to kids, so I don't know the answer. I do know that it is unavailable, the reason is unknown.

OK. The deal with tuition assistance, is that the school has a fund for explicitly that purpose- something with the Church giving out money that would be against KHSAA rules, but if the student doesn't play sports, there is nothing that stops a Church from doing that for a private school. I know my church used to take up collections to help students purchase school supplies(middle schoolers not under KHSAA), and don't see a problem if it was for tuition to an open enrollment or private school for a non-athlete. Now the private schools that have money for tuition assistance must use, for a student to be eligible, they must recive it in a manner consistent with KHSAA rules. Until I can find it, or someone can post it on here, I will assume that a Public School district can do the same. As long as the financial aid is distributed by the rules, there should be no problem. It may be financially irresponsible for the public district to give financial aid, but if it's not illegal, then the way the Public and Private systems operate may not be that different when it comes to admissions.

I can't honestly answer the question. I don't know if it is against the law or policies...ect. What I do know that with the shape that all public school funding is in that if some district was to offer then ....I agree under the KHSAA guidelines that they could. Just not for sure if that is something that has to do with KRS or State Department? Or even on the local level.

Serious question. Can the Bell County School system accept students from out of district, or from out of state?

Is it agianst the law for the Bell County School system(if they had the funds available) to distribute need based financial aid to offset tuition costs for out of district students?

I was trying to find in the KRS laws concerning distribution of funds. Found this. Have NO CLUE what it means.:D

157.030 Net revenue to be distributed -- Incidental expenses not to be deducted.

The net revenue of the common school fund accruing during each school year shall

constitute the sum to be distributed. No fee, discount, check, or other incidental expense

shall be paid out of the distributable share of the revenue apportioned to any school

district.

I was trying to find in the KRS laws concerning distribution of funds. Found this. Have NO CLUE what it means.:D

157.030 Net revenue to be distributed -- Incidental expenses not to be deducted.

The net revenue of the common school fund accruing during each school year shall

constitute the sum to be distributed. No fee, discount, check, or other incidental expense

shall be paid out of the distributable share of the revenue apportioned to any school

district.

No clue at all what that means!

I do know that Bylaw 7 of the KHSAA that deals with financial aid, while differeintiating between the types of public, non public schools in definition, does not show a differnence when it comes to distributing financial aid. It does appear that a public school can give financial aid under KHSAA rules.

BTW, Bylaw 7 also lists the dioceses of Louisville, Covington, Lexington, and Owensboro as Non-Public school zones.