No Coach=No Football Operations?

Lexfball

With teams searching for coaches do all football operations shut down when the Ex-coach leaves. Does the team still weight lift, run and other things like that?

If so who's in charge of these practices? Or do senior leaders take charge and do their own personal lifting?

^ Man relax, I can see where he may have been saying the same thing but maybe not as clearly. With so few coaches actually working in those schools, it can boil down to that, left up to the respective schools. There is no mandate that says "No head coach, No winter program".

During the interim between Coach Duffer Duffy leaving & the hiring of a new coach, the assistant coaches oversaw off season workouts! Kudos to them, for they didn't know wether they would be retained or not. Thankfully, they were!

Coach Michael Copley has run the weight room at Pikeville with zero stoppages including the day I announced I would be leaving. There were 44 kids in the weight room after school to lift the last week I was still head coach. There has been no drop-off at all in numbers or intensity by the kids or Copley (still running weights 4 days a week).

I'm VERY proud of his dedication to these kids -- even though he wasn't automatically named the next head coach -- and proud of the kids too (though actually, these facts aren't surprising to me at all; I knew all these things would happen).

And just as he did last summer on NUMEROUS occasions (MANY long trips taking kids to Senior Camps all over the south), along with running weights Copley's assisting me after school each day in helping our graduating seniors with college/career plans.

So no, at least at Pikeville, football operations have not stopped -- as a matter of fact, they've continued just as they would've if I were still the head coach there.

Lexftball

I was wondering the same thing. For example the TC/Lafayette situation. I assume that Harmon is already over at TC running his off season, so who is running Lafayette? Will Harmon be working at TC or will he keep his job at Lafayette?

That's what i was wondering. Are the Lafayette players working out at all. One or two weeks of no weightlifting can be huge when the season starts.

Coach Michael Copley has run the weight room at Pikeville with zero stoppages including the day I announced I would be leaving. There were 44 kids in the weight room after school to lift the last week I was still head coach. There has been no drop-off at all in numbers or intensity by the kids or Copley (still running weights 4 days a week).

I'm VERY proud of his dedication to these kids -- even though he wasn't automatically named the next head coach -- and proud of the kids too (though actually, these facts aren't surprising to me at all; I knew all these things would happen).

And just as he did last summer on NUMEROUS occasions (MANY long trips taking kids to Senior Camps all over the south), along with running weights Copley's assisting me after school each day in helping our graduating seniors with college/career plans.

So no, at least at Pikeville, football operations have not stopped -- as a matter of fact, they've continued just as they would've if I were still the head coach there.

That is great, but that is not the case in a lot of places.

That is great, but that is not the case in a lot of places.

Yep, I understand they are almost non-existent at Jefferson County public schools currently without head coaches in place. The JCPS hamstrings itself in that every hire must be approved by the full board. This appears to be a general lack of trust for the administration of individual schools.

Butler, Iroquois, J-town(if Carmony is approved for Butler).......

That's what i was wondering. Are the Lafayette players working out at all. One or two weeks of no weightlifting can be huge when the season starts.

It is business as usual at both schools. Harmon and his staff are already in place at TC and there are several coaches still remaining at LHS continuing their program.