If Jeb wasn't a Bush, could he be a contender?

HHSDad

There is nothing pseudo about Jeb Bush. His brother and father are pseudo-conservatives, but Jeb is the real deal.

Undoubtedly, Jeb's family name helped open the door into politics for him, but Florida voters were happy enough with his job performance to make him only the state's second two term governor in history.

Make that the second two-term Republican governor. And his stock is slipping as people down here see the mess he left behind.

And he might fit the modern definition of conservative, but a modern conservative is not a real Goldwater conservative.

Make that the second two-term Republican governor. And his stock is slipping as people down here see the mess he left behind.

And he might fit the modern definition of conservative, but a modern conservative is not a real Goldwater conservative.

I am not a resident of the Sunshine State, but I am pretty sure that Jeb Bush is the only Republican to be reelected as Florida's governor. Democrat Bob Graham was the other governor who was elected to serve two terms.

I am not a resident of the Sunshine State, but I am pretty sure that Jeb Bush is the only Republican to be reelected as Florida's governor. Democrat Bob Graham was the other governor who was elected to serve two terms.

You're overlooking Reuben Askew (probably the best governor this state ever had), LeRoy Collins and Lawton Chiles, all Democrats. Gov. Collins won a special election in 1954, then won re-election in the regular election in '56.

You're overlooking Reuben Askew (probably the best governor this state ever had), LeRoy Collins and Lawton Chiles, all Democrats. Gov. Collins won a special election in 1954, then won re-election in the regular election in '56.
I stand corrected and move to amend my statement to: Jeb Bush is the only Republican ever to be elected governor twice in Florida.

There is no reason to believe that a conservative two-term former governor of Florida would not be a formidable candidate if his last name was not Bush. Especially in light of the weak slate of candidates that both parties have presented to potential voters.

You would be correct. There is substantial evidence that suggests that further recounts should have taken place. There was evidence that a large majority of votes that could and probably would have tilted the election in Gore's favor were thrown out and never voted.

Let's not derail this thread. It's about Jeb. Let's talk about his worthlessness - instead of his brother's. :D

All recounts by various origanizations showed that Bush won Florida. A major difference in deciding the outcome was the mail-in votes by military personnal.

But one thing I have learned from my liberal friends is to never allow facts or truth to stand in their way.