Basketball fan needs advice or opinions

Coaches need to be a POSITIVE influence !! It is absurd to tell any kid they suck ! Coaches should not be judged by wins and losses but more importantly by the influence and life lessons they teach these young ladies and men.

I may be a little more sensitive than most ,but if a coach said this to my daughter I would be having a personal meeting with him or her. There are better ways to motivate players today. A coaches code of ethics should be made mandatory and training should be made mandatory as well. IF a coach breaks the code of ethics , there should be a progressive discipline plan which would result in firing after a couple mistakes. If you're always screaming at , cursing at, or just belittling players, IMO you aren't the right person for the job.

:thumb: I couldn't have said it any better myself. Coaches if you are reading and this is the manner in which you conduct yourself I would suggest you read this post on a daily basis..

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question and not a defense of the coach because I think "suck" should not be used.

BUT, is "stink" okay. Change the U to an I and add a T and does it become acceptable?

If yes, is the difference between stink and suck, that big of a deal and why?

If no, are you upset because of the word usage or because the coach might be telling the truth that the player is really a bad player.

Is it different if the coach says, your work ethic sucks? Compared to "You suck."

Just a question and not a defense of the coach because I think "suck" should not be used.

BUT, is "stink" okay. Change the U to an I and add a T and does it become acceptable?

No. As a coach one of the many jobs is to get the most out of your players. If the kid really sucks, motivate them to work harder. Also, figure out another way to evaluate talent during tryouts.

If yes, is the difference between stink and suck, that big of a deal and why?

If no, are you upset because of the word usage or because the coach might be telling the truth that the player is really a bad player.

Is it different if the coach says, your work ethic sucks? Compared to "You suck."

Completely different, IMO. While I still wouldn't use the word 'sucks'. It is different to tell a kid that his effort is lacking than it is to tell him his ability is lacking...

I dont think I'd worry about it to much. Most of the time when a coach says something like that to a kid, they end up regretinig it. I know I have said some things in the past and then turn around and say to myself "Why did I just say that to that kid for?" Sometimes in the heat of the moment, coaches will say things that they dont necessarily mean. For some kids, saying "you suck" may motivate them to play harder. But into days emotional roller coaster world, the least little thing upsets mommies and daddies little baby. I say suck it up and go on. You havent seen nothing yet. Wait until you screw up at work.

I dont think I'd worry about it to much. Most of the time when a coach says something like that to a kid, they end up regretinig it. I know I have said some things in the past and then turn around and say to myself "Why did I just say that to that kid for?" Sometimes in the heat of the moment, coaches will say things that they dont necessarily mean. For some kids, saying "you suck" may motivate them to play harder. But into days emotional roller coaster world, the least little thing upsets mommies and daddies little baby. I say suck it up and go on. You havent seen nothing yet. Wait until you screw up at work.

I work for a company that is going to top $1 billion in revenue for the first time ever and I can assure you that there is not one Manager, Director, Exec. Director or VP that would tell any employee they suck...

While it's really not THAT big of a deal, it definitely is not an ideal thing to say to a kid and the coach should know better...

Imagine if your kids Math Teacher said this to them..

In my Coaching experience negative re-inforcement rarely works with Girls. They seem to just withdraw, play worse or just quit. Coaches do sometimes say things we should not and regret it. Most of the kids are trying to do the best they can and will probably make some mistakes.

If it bothers the child then they should not "suck it up" but address it so the Coach and the player can get past it and have a productive relationship.

If you have ever had to say "why did i just say that to that kid for?", you probably need some coaching etiquette classes. I also don't understand fully , "the heat of the moment". At Div.1 nationals we had a team down by 18, they came back and had us down by 11, we came back and beat them by 10. I never once recall screaming at them, belittling them , cursing, telling them they suck or any of the above. Is this "heat of the moment" ,about the coaches ? I have seen numerous coaches get louder and louder the closer the game gets on the scoreboard, why? This is the time when as a coach you should be calm and let the kids know everything is ok. You have complete trust in them and just relax. If we lose so what, is winning a game worth hurting even one players feelings?

For those of you who say it doesn't work. I suggest you check out Harrison County. Over a 20 year period, they have had some talented teams. Never made it to the state tournament. Mac Whitaker, definitely not a touchy feely coach, took over and he has taken them to 2 state tournaments, I believe and produced 2 DI players.

He demands execution and gets it. And he can/has had times demanded it in a very negative fashion. And got it.

For those of you who say it doesn't work. I suggest you check out Harrison County. Over a 20 year period, they have had some talented teams. Never made it to the state tournament. Mac Whitaker, definitely not a touchy feely coach, took over and he has taken them to 2 state tournaments, I believe and produced 2 DI players.

He demands execution and gets it. And he can/has had times demanded it in a very negative fashion. And got it.

You know as well as I do that, in the end, talent prevails. Especially as much time as Mac puts in with baseball. It's not like it's the off-season workouts or feeder system. If it is, it's not his doing. He's on the baseball field...

You know as well as I do that, in the end, talent prevails. Especially as much time as Mac puts in with baseball. It's not like it's the off-season workouts or feeder system. If it is, it's not his doing. He's on the baseball field...

He puts in the time basketball wise too. Individual workouts. Late night open gyms.

For over 20 years, with tremendous talent, Harrison never prevailed.

He became the coach. And they prevail twice. A coach that will not let you give anything but your best.

I don't know if people are saying it Never works , but I am saying there is a better way. I have 10 players and they all 10 have D1 scholarships on the table.(and they just began their junior yr.) We aren't a high school team so its a little different talent level but my point is there are 379 D1 schools, its not real hard to get a scholarship to one of them. Its harder to get a scholarship to the top 50, but the work is getting yourself noticed. Does that mean that because your not good enough to play for one of the big aau or exposure programs you cannot get noticed? Absolutely not, but you and your parents have to get to work on making sure the colleges know your there. They aren't going to notice everyone even at the National events. The work is on the parents and players because most coaches aren't going to do the leg work for you. He may be a great coach but getting 2 kids into D1 ball isn't saying much;) Maybe he should try a different approach.