Question to BBall coaches

I was just wondering if anybody on this site knew of any good tutorials or things to work on for little dribblers. This is the first year we are trying it in the Mayfield school system and I was asked to be a coach and I just wanted something to read to see what kind of fundamentals or things to do. I don't want to push these kids too hard cause they really won't be competing.

Dribbling - setup 4 chairs about 5' feet apart and have them dribble through, alternating hands.

Passing - two players and utilizing chest pass, palms extended and alternate, 1 bounce and no bounce.

Hands Up/Lateral Slides - players slide along the baseline, up to half court on each side, with "hands up" and in athletic position....feet never cross.

Triple Threat Position - setup and hand position, is determined by which side the ball is on. Be at the top of the key, have the entire team laterally slide across the floor, moving them back and forth quickly.

Blocking Out - proper technique to position for a rebound, turn and be ready to outlet/chess pass.

1 Hand Shooting - players alternate on the blocks, shooting 1 handed up onto the backboard. Teach them to follow-thru and builds muscle. Lower the goal down slightly, if some need help in reaching.

My advice is to never underestimate what they can do. Our 3rd graders spend the first 20 minutes of practice doing 2ball drills utilizing both hands obviously, crossing over, etc.. They'll surprise you. Good luck!
Another excellent drill, for hand-eye coordination and skill development.

HUGE PROPONENT OF 2BALL DRILLS. I love them. Learned them from a Rick Pitino video. Dribbles same time, alternative. Crossover both balls. One crossover, one between legs. One crossover, one behind the back. Move the balls side to side while staying in same hand. Go through cones with 2 balls.

Do the old zig zag drill with offensive player dribbling two balls going zig zag. Defense working on footwork without reaching. When they go to change direction, they have to go between legs/behind back and crossover.

Also, ANY DRIBBLING DRILLS, no matter where they are done on the court, have the players keep their eyes on the rim. That is where they should be in a game, that is where they should be in practice.

Many coaches tell them eyes up. What does that mean???

But teach them to have their eyes on the rim. Gives them a place to be looking that allows them to see the whole floor.

Personally, I don't like teaching chest passes to young kids. Chest passes are stolen more often than a bounce pass is. I teach bounce passes first and want them to throw bounce passes.

Also, drills on passing ARE NOT only passing drills but receiving drills. Kids don't know how to catch the ball, correctly. I teach like a soccer goalie would Make a diamond with thumbs and forefingers. I also teach one-two step to the ball when catching. Get's them in the habit of ALWAYS going to meet the ball and footwork for catching the ball ready to shoot.

NEVER EVER have them do a drill where they stand flatfooted and catch the ball. You don't want them catching the ball flatfooted in the game, don't have them do it in practice.

My additional recommendation:

Bring plenty of balls to practice so that kids can be working continuously with the ball rather than standing in a line while only 1 or 2 players are active. This is the biggest mistake I see in coaching young kids. When they stand in line, they lose interest.

My additional recommendation:

Bring plenty of balls to practice so that kids can be working continuously with the ball rather than standing in a line while only 1 or 2 players are active. This is the biggest mistake I see in coaching young kids. When they stand in line, they lose interest.

Yeah, our rule is that each player supplies their own ball.

Good points so far guys, good information. Do you really think that kindergarten kids can dribble two balls at once?

Well, I have a question for you? Can they dribble with one? If not, then why not learn to use both hands from the start? Seriously, you'd be surprised. Don't just ditch it if it looks awful at first. They'll get it.

Well, I have a question for you? Can they dribble with one? If not, then why not learn to use both hands from the start? Seriously, you'd be surprised. Don't just ditch it if it looks awful at first. They'll get it.

I'll give it a whirl, it makes sense to get used to dribbling two balls at once cause it makes one so much easier. I just don't remember using two balls at once back in my bball days but it does sound like a great idea!!