Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rule Interpretation

Featured Replies

For all the refs & wannabe refs out there, what's the correct ruling?

 

KHSAA Rules Apply

 

Offense has the ball 4th and EXACTLY 1 yd. to go at the Defense's 45 yd. line.

 

QB fumbles the initial exchange from center, the ball bounces around and is eventually recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original line of scrimmage. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

 

Alternative #1, same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 feet beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

 

Alternative #2, same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 yds. beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 feet beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

For all the refs & wannabe refs out there, what's the correct ruling?

 

KHSAA Rules Apply

 

Offense has the ball 4th and EXACTLY 1 yd. to go at the Defense's 45 yd. line.

 

QB fumbles the initial exchange from center, the ball bounces around and is eventually recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original line of scrimmage. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

 

Alternative #1, same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 feet beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

 

Alternative #2, same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 yds. beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 feet beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

I am almost positive that the offense gets to keep the ball and is given a first down. The ball would be spotted at the point of recovery.

 

Alternative #1: Same as the above answer.

 

Alternative #2: It's the same alternative as #1 so I'll go with the same answer.

  • Author
I am almost positive that the offense gets to keep the ball and is given a first down. The ball would be spotted at the point of recovery.

 

Alternative #1: Same as the above answer.

 

Alternative #2: It's the same alternative as #1 so I'll go with the same answer.

 

Statman - for clarification, on Alternative #2 the QB runs the ball PAST the 1st down mark, then fumbles and the ball is recovered SHORT of the 1st down mark. I assume since you are spotting at point of recovery regardless, you'd say ball is turned over on downs since recovered SHORT of the 1st down mark, right?

I'm pretty sure you get the ball where you recover it, the first two scenarios would be first downs and the last a turnover on downs.

I think all 3 scenarios result in 1st and 10 for the offense at the point of recovery.

Is the main question, can another player recover a ball for a first down, other than the QB?

I recall a game about 4-5 years ago where South Laurel had the ball on Corbin's 2 yard line facing 4th down trailing by 4 or 5 points very late in the game. The ball carrier was stopped in the backfield, but was savvy enough to fumble the ball forward into the endzone where South recovered for the winning score. I thought at the time that only if the original ball carrier recovered could the ball be advanced, but I was wrong.

For all the refs & wannabe refs out there, what's the correct ruling?

 

KHSAA Rules Apply

 

Offense has the ball 4th and EXACTLY 1 yd. to go at the Defense's 45 yd. line.

 

QB fumbles the initial exchange from center, the ball bounces around and is eventually recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original line of scrimmage. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

 

Alternative #1, same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 feet beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

 

Alternative #2, same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 yds. beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 feet beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

1st senario -- Ball goes to the offense where it was recovered, first down

 

Alternate #1 - Ball goes to the offense where it was recovered, first down

 

Alternate #2 - If I have read this right the ball went back behind the first down line. In that case, the ball is recovered by the offense, but it would be first down defense due to not getting the yardage on the first down. You would count the ball where it was recovered, not where it was fumbled from.

Throwinglong has the answers.

 

QB fumbles the initial exchange from center, the ball bounces around and is eventually recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original line of scrimmage. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

If it is not recovered by the one who fumbled (QB), I thought the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble on 4th down. In this case, it would be a turnover, would it not? First down going the other way.

 

Alternative #1, same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 feet beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

 

Same as above. If someone other than the QB recovers, it would be down at the spot of the fumble. 1 ft. short of the first down (3 ft. make a yard ;)). Turnover. First down going the other way.

 

Alternative #2' date=' same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 yds. beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 feet beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?[/quote']Spotted at the spot of the fumble. First down offense.
I recall a game about 4-5 years ago where South Laurel had the ball on Corbin's 2 yard line facing 4th down trailing by 4 or 5 points very late in the game. The ball carrier was stopped in the backfield, but was savvy enough to fumble the ball forward into the endzone where South recovered for the winning score. I thought at the time that only if the original ball carrier recovered could the ball be advanced, but I was wrong.

 

I think you were correct in your analysis at the time. That seems like a mistake by the referee.

Again, I could be totally wrong about all of this. I am no rule guru.

 

I was always taught that on 4th down, unless the ball carrier recovers their own fumble, the ball is spotted at the spot of the fumble.

Again, I could be totally wrong about all of this. I am no rule guru.

 

I was always taught that on 4th down, unless the ball carrier recovers their own fumble, the ball is spotted at the spot of the fumble.

 

Is this only on 4th down? The last time I checked, I thought anyone could recover a fumble.

We need a Ref, (who knows the rules...)....... Someone stepup to the tee....

I think you were correct in your analysis at the time. That seems like a mistake by the referee.

 

I was told that in high school that anyone could recover and the ball is marked at the spot of the recovery.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.