Rule Interpretation

jpa2825

For all the refs & wannabe refs out there, what's the correct ruling?

KHSAA Rules Apply

Offense has the ball 4th and EXACTLY 1 yd. to go at the Defense's 45 yd. line.

QB fumbles the initial exchange from center, the ball bounces around and is eventually recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original line of scrimmage. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

If the ball is recovered by the QB, the person who fumbled it, then first and ten for the offense. If anyone else recovers it is first and ten for the defense at the previous spot. A side note the center can not recover a fumble unless the QB and possession of the ball first. If it was a bad snap and the center recovers, it is Illegal touching, 15 yard penalty and loss of down.

Alternative #1, same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 feet beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 yds. beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

If the ball carrier has already gained the first down then fumbles then is it first and ten no matter who recovers it as long as the ball remains beyond the line to gain. Anyone can recover for the first down, including the center, because the QB had possession of the ball and had already gained the first down.

Alternative #2, same as above, but QB possesses the ball, runs forward on the QB sneak 2 yds. beyond the LOS and then fumbles the ball which is recovered by an offensive player 2 feet beyond the original LOS. Where is the ball placed and who has possession?

First and ten for the defense at the point of the recovery. One foot short for the offense, even though the first down was reached, the fumble backwards negated the gained first down, due to the recovery short of the line to gain.

I hope you don't officiate. You are not even close. Illegal touching is never 15 and it's never a loss of down. Furthermore, the snapper can recover a muffed snap without penalty as long as the snap was a quick movement backwards and left his hands. It's certainly not a penalty.

Throwinglong has the correct answers as offside has pointed out.

In all three the ball belongs to the team that recovers it. In the first two, the offense has recovered the ball beyond the line to gain and, thus, has earned a new series of downs.

In the third scenario, the offense recovers the ball, but the team is short of the line to gain. Therefore, the defense is awarded a new series at that spot.

When it comes to fumbles and recoveries and spots, high school rules are very simple. It's college and pro rules that add all sorts of who can advance and where and who can recover on what down, etc. Don't get confused with all that stuff.

I hope you don't officiate. You are not even close. Illegal touching is never 15 and it's never a loss of down. Furthermore, the snapper can recover a muffed snap without penalty as long as the snap was a quick movement backwards and left his hands. It's certainly not a penalty.

I am not arguing with you, but I have seen Illegal touching called on numerous occasions for a center recoving a fumble that the QB never had possession of. And, unless I am mistaken, and I don't believe I am, it has always been a 15 yrs penalty with loss of down. I know this has been the result on many occasions. I was told that it was an unsportsmanlike penalty, to stop the fumblerusky play.

No, I am not an official, but the cut block and situations like this change every time I hear an official talk about it.

This happened in the Championship game with Russell and Mercer except the ball was on the one yard line. The QB was stopped cold on the one yard line for several seconds. The ref does not blow the wistle nor signal TD. The QB has the ball knocked out of his hands. An Offensive lineman recovers the ball in the end zone. Game winning touchdown for Mercer.