Johnson Central 49 Paintsville 15

Matney has taken all the fun out of this rivalry. It is time to pull the plug on the Apple Bowl and let both teams schedule somebody that they can compete with. I am glad that I stayed home and watched the 'Cats. At least the game was not out of reach before the second half started.

Putting the series on hold isnt going to help the problem with Paintsville. They are finally starting to play with kids from Paintsville. They dont have the johnson county kids to feed their athletic teams anymore. This game always draws a great crowd, no matter the teams records. Apple day wouldnt be the same without it. And it is hard to compete (for players) aganist a school that has a brand new turf field and who knows what else we will get at JC over the next few years.

AND Paintsville had no problem beating up on JC for 8 years straight in this series.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Underarmour seems to be a distinctly vocal member of the minority among the Johnson Central faithful, and that's a good sign. There isn't much reason for fans of a ranked 5A team to crow over an easy win over an unranked Class A program with about 25 percent of the enrollment.

I don't know that it's time to "pull the plug" on the rivalry, but it's good to see the vast majority of Johnson Central fans have their eyes cast on bigger fish.

Matney has taken all the fun out of this rivalry. It is time to pull the plug on the Apple Bowl and let both teams schedule somebody that they can compete with. I am glad that I stayed home and watched the 'Cats. At least the game was not out of reach before the second half started.

This game still serves one purpose: it puts fans in the seats, wherever it is played, and it is consistently the biggest gate of the year for both schools (and therefore a huge source of funding for both). I personally would like to see our hugest crowds show up for teams like Woodford County and Louisville Central, but the people of Johnson County who don't come to any other game will still, for whatever reason, come watch the Apple Bowl. That alone is reason to continue it. Games scheduled against other opponents wouldn't draw the same crowds (see the Big Sandy Bowl's last few years, for example).

This game still serves one purpose: it puts fans in the seats, wherever it is played, and it is consistently the biggest gate of the year for both schools (and therefore a huge source of funding for both). I personally would like to see our hugest crowds show up for teams like Woodford County and Louisville Central, but the people of Johnson County who don't come to any other game will still, for whatever reason, come watch the Apple Bowl. That alone is reason to continue it. Games scheduled against other opponents wouldn't draw the same crowds (see the Big Sandy Bowl's last few years, for example).
What you say is true today, I don't know how long JC and Paintsville supporters will turn out to see a game whose outcome is certain (100% certain according to Massey). How much revenge is enough? Most of us already knew that it was inferior (but not always bad) coaching and a lack of football tradition that kept Paintsville competitive with the Golden Eagles all these years. Is it really necessary to continue to play this game each year when Matney and the players have already proven that point?

I think that a Thursday night game involving say, Belfry and Ironton playing JC in alternating years and a Friday night game matching Paintsville against Prestonsburg and Raceland in alternating years would have great attendance and provide each team with meaningful games. An alternative to Ironton would be to match JC against one of the Lexington 6A schools or maybe a smaller 4A power not likely to move to 5A.

The rivalry between the Tigers and Golden Eagles is dead. It began withering the day that Jim Matney accepted the head coaching position at Johnson Central. It would have been great if Paintsville's program could have kept pace until JC passed the Tigers in Apple Bowl wins, but it hasn't.

Pull the plug. End the suffering.

What you say is true today, I don't know how long JC and Paintsville supporters will turn out to see a game whose outcome is certain (100% certain according to Massey). How much revenge is enough? Most of us already knew that it was inferior (but not always bad) coaching and a lack of football tradition that kept Paintsville competitive with the Golden Eagles all these years. Is it really necessary to continue to play this game each year when Matney and the players have already proven that point?

I think that a Thursday night game involving say, Belfry and Ironton playing JC in alternating years and a Friday night game matching Paintsville against Prestonsburg and Raceland in alternating years would have great attendance and provide each team with meaningful games. An alternative to Ironton would be to match JC against one of the Lexington 6A schools or maybe a smaller 4A power not likely to move to 5A.

The rivalry between the Tigers and Golden Eagles is dead. It began withering the day that Jim Matney accepted the head coaching position at Johnson Central. It would have been great if Paintsville's program could have kept pace until JC passed the Tigers in Apple Bowl wins, but it hasn't.

Pull the plug. End the suffering.

I agree with you to an extent and I agree with Black Eagle as well. This game has lost its luster since Matney arrived at JC. But the people of Johnson County are still obviously interested in this game regardless of the points spread. Last nights attendance, which I guess was another big crowd, shows that. I like Black Eagle, would like to see that attendance for our big district games like Woodford Co., Ashland, etc. and for the big non district matchup with Lou. Central. But we still arent there yet for whatever reason. I would like to see JC's major rival become Ashland. District opponents that are usually evenly matched in which you never know the outcome before it starts and just an hour apart. I would like to see JC drop this game but I fully understand they reason they dont. And to be honest, even though the Paintsville game doesnt really help us, it would still be wierd to see that schedule and Paintsville's name not be on there.

Underarmour seems to be a distinctly vocal member of the minority among the Johnson Central faithful, and that's a good sign. There isn't much reason for fans of a ranked 5A team to crow over an easy win over an unranked Class A program with about 25 percent of the enrollment.

I don't know that it's time to "pull the plug" on the rivalry, but it's good to see the vast majority of Johnson Central fans have their eyes cast on bigger fish.

Thanks Westsider, I have the same sentiments. Playing 1A ball teams is not going to lead you to Louisville in December. To jump up and down, blow your horn and ridicule a less fortunate school 'cause you have turf is a ludicrous.

In this case, I give P-ville far more credit in stepping up to the plate and playing a much larger school. In the end, P-ville will be better prepared for the playoffs as a result.

It always feels great to walk around on apple day wearing the black and gold with pride!

I'm saying this kindly. All of us have to grow up at some point in our lives. There is only one person over 18 that should be gloating.

I wonder if Thom Cochran will be wearing a Black and Gold Jersey around town celebrating that butt kicking that he gave Bill Mike in the battle of the AD's?:lol:

Thanks Westsider, I have the same sentiments. Playing 1A ball teams is not going to lead you to Louisville in December. To jump up and down, blow your horn and ridicule a less fortunate school 'cause you have turf is a ludicrous.

In this case, I give P-ville far more credit in stepping up to the plate and playing a much larger school. In the end, P-ville will be better prepared for the playoffs as a result.

This game is too big of a mismatch to help Paintsville prepare for the district games. The score could just as easily be 80-0 (or 80-7) and keep in mind that Paintsville entered the game this year with only one loss. The Tigers don't have the depth to compete with Johnson Central and unless the JC program suffers a total collapse, that will be the case for years to come. The Tigers are not likely to win another regular season game. Getting routed in the Apple Bowl like clockwork takes a lot of the joy out of walking around Apple Day on Friday and Saturday.

The Tigers' Daniel Pugh was a great quarterback, but he ran for his life on every single pass play in his last Apple Bowl game. I don't know what kind of line Paintsville has this season but the last game that I attended, the Golden Eagles totally dominated the line from start to finish. Those are the kind of games in which career ending and life threatening injuries most often occur.

I hope that Paintsville finishes the season with enough players still on the roster to make a decent showing in the first round of the playoffs. Paintsville has a small enrollment and losing by lopsided scores every year in the Apple Bowl will take its toll on team numbers if it hasn't already.

How many players did Paintsville dress last night and how many of them were freshmen? What kind of middle school team did they field this season?

This game is too big of a mismatch to help Paintsville prepare for the district games. The score could just as easily be 80-0 (or 80-7) and keep in mind that Paintsville entered the game this year with only one loss.The Tigers don't have the depth to compete with Johnson Central and unless the JC program suffers a total collapse, that will be the case for years to come. The Tigers are not likely to win another regular season game. Getting routed in the Apple Bowl like clockwork takes a lot of the joy out of walking around Apple Day on Friday and Saturday.

The Tigers' Daniel Pugh was a great quarterback, but he ran for his life on every single pass play in his last Apple Bowl game. I don't know what kind of line Paintsville has this season but the last game that I attended, the Golden Eagles totally dominated the line from start to finish. Those are the kind of games in which career ending and life threatening injuries most often occur.

I hope that Paintsville finishes the season with enough players still on the roster to make a decent showing in the first round of the playoffs. Paintsville has a small enrollment and losing by lopsided scores every year in the Apple Bowl will take its toll on team numbers if it hasn't already.

How many players did Paintsville dress last night and how many of them were freshmen? What kind of middle school team did they field this season?

Paintsville came into this game undefeated.

Paintsville came into this game undefeated.
The Tigers lost 28-0 last week to Prestonsburg. Barring upsets, the Tigers' remaining losses will be to Raceland, Pikeville, Pike Central, and Sheldon Clark. Paintsville will be heavy underdogs in all of those games and should finish the season 5-7 after getting blown out in the second round of the playoffs.

Matney IMO is one of the top coaches in the state, you are correct he has brought JC to a level Paintsville would be hard pressed to reach due to school sizes.

You dont understand the point of a rivalry game, do you?