What exactly are Revs. Jackson and Sharpton's Credentials???

mexitucky

On the other hand, if you were black and felt you were wronged and it had something to do with your skin color, who else do you go to in order to get the publicity for your cause?

Are you going to Rev. Shuttlesworth? Tom Joyner? Maxine Waters?

Or are you going to someone with a successful track record of bring attention to the cause?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, if you were black and felt you were wronged and it had something to do with your skin color, who else do you go to in order to get the publicity for your cause?

Are you going to Rev. Shuttlesworth? Tom Joyner? Maxine Waters?

Or are you going to someone with a successful track record of bring attention to the cause?

Was Al Sharpton needed to bring attention to the "cause" of the Rutgers Women's Basketball team? Nope. It was a great time for him to bring attention to himself.

Also, promoting causes that do not have merit cheapens those that do deserve attention.

I think most people would have more respect for both of these men if they were truly the voice for all down-trodden or disadvantaged, not just those that are black. Who is the voice for the poor or disadvantaged whites? I can't think of any.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have made themselves rich by being interlopers and forcing themselves into other's problems, whether asked or not, and then capitalizing on that party's misfortune.

I think their records are clear in this regard.

I think that Sharpton and Jackson are still fighting the civil rights movement from back in the 1960's. That is their mindframe. Any issue that they can bring up to take us back to those days they pounce on. I think that their credibility is shrinking as time goes on because the issues have changed and they have not. Jackson only seems to extort money from deep pocket corporations that he threatens with racial charges. Sharpton is always running for the cameras when it advances his popularity...

The African American community is desperate for some serious leadership and their high profile leaders such as Jackson and Sharpton are sorely lacking. Whay aren't they crusading against inner city violence that leaves scores of Arfican Americans dead each year? Why aren't they speaking out that the rap culture is not appropriate role models for youths? Why aren't they speaking out that the road to prosperity is a college degree(s) and not a pro sport contract? While all these issues are going on Jackson is taking on the Jena 6 case. While this is a serious issue (I'll save that for another forum), I believe that this is a sad holdover from a long ago era, one in which Jackson is itching to fight, because that is the fight he has spent his entire career fighting...

Was Al Sharpton needed to bring attention to the "cause" of the Rutgers Women's Basketball team? Nope. It was a great time for him to bring attention to himself.

Also, promoting causes that do not have merit cheapens those that do deserve attention.

I think most people would have more respect for both of these men if they were truly the voice for all down-trodden or disadvantaged, not just those that are black. Who is the voice for the poor or disadvantaged whites? I can't think of any.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have made themselves rich by being interlopers and forcing themselves into other's problems, whether asked or not, and then capitalizing on that party's misfortune.

I think their records are clear in this regard.

The question at hand deals with their credentials. I gave them. That's exactly why they are called upon so often.

Al Sharpton DID help keep the heat on Imus .

Poor and disadvantaged whites help? They would say that is someone else's concern and that they're busy enough with their own personal cause.

I think that Sharpton and Jackson are still fighting the civil rights movement from back in the 1960's. That is their mindframe. Any issue that they can bring up to take us back to those days they pounce on. I think that their credibility is shrinking as time goes on because the issues have changed and they have not. Jackson only seems to extort money from deep pocket corporations that he threatens with racial charges. Sharpton is always running for the cameras when it advances his popularity...

The African American community is desperate for some serious leadership and their high profile leaders such as Jackson and Sharpton are sorely lacking. Whay aren't they crusading against inner city violence that leaves scores of Arfican Americans dead each year? Why aren't they speaking out that the rap culture is not appropriate role models for youths? Why aren't they speaking out that the road to prosperity is a college degree(s) and not a pro sport contract? While all these issues are going on Jackson is taking on the Jena 6 case. While this is a serious issue (I'll save that for another forum), I believe that this is a sad holdover from a long ago era, one in which Jackson is itching to fight, because that is the fight he has spent his entire career fighting...

I think Sharpton is more relevant in the black community than Jackson is today. I agree on Jesse looking to be a shakedown artist.

I'd say Rev Sharpton has much more credibility within the black community than you give him credit for. Your view of his credibility is, I'm assuming, coming from a different perspective than those that look at him as being a help.

I have heard Sharpton being critical of today's hip hop world. If you saw him at the James Brown funeral, you would have heard that. I'm not sure of his statements or stance on the other issues you raise. I prefer to be cautious because , like the hip hop issue, he may be speaking out but all are not hearing it. Who knows?

Louisville has a local "advocate" that always seems to show up when there is a camera around to speak for the families. I do not know anything about his credentials either.

I am not even sure of his real last name. I just hope that his actions are sincere and are as focused off the camera. If so then he is probably fine.

The media is willing to put a microphone in the mouth to get a soundbite for their newscast and those two are willing. The media has dubbed them national leaders like they dubbed Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell national Christian leaders when that is not accurate.

Is there an earthly person who could be accurately described as "national Christian leader?" Well, besides GWB?

Is there an earthly person who could be accurately described as "national Christian leader?" Well, besides GWB?

Asking me, Fastbreak:thumb::sssh:

Asking the media, anyone that will give them a good soundbite.

Isn't it interesting that both are Reverends but when it comes to the media needing a Christian national leader soundbite, neither of them get called. They are only good, I guess for soundbites on racial matters and not Christian matters.

Just food for thought.

The reason you find that most of the elder black civil rights leaders are ministers is that during the era of "Jim Crow" blacks weren't allowed to assemble en mass anywhere but in a church. So if you look back you'll see most of the civil right movement meetings of the 50's and 60's were held in a church.

In the realm of politics, the church is a very special place for blacks.

In the realm of politics, the church is a very special place for blacks.
And there are certain politicians who know this, and will trip all over themselves to pander to sincere churchgoers. They, (the churchgoers not the politicians) deserve better than that.

Gee whiz LBBC... I'm gonna have to watch what I say the next time I smack my thumb with a hammer... ;)

And there are certain politicians who know this, and will trip all over themselves to pander to sincere churchgoers. They, (the churchgoers not the politicians) deserve better than that.

What's different about this than showing up at the GM plant? If you have an entity that historically votes as a block, why not go to that group? If the group is also a politically active entity, they're fair game in my book.

Add in that I don't think the politician forced his way in but, rather, was invited and its even less problematic.

What's different about this than showing up at the GM plant? If you have an entity that historically votes as a block, why not go to that group?
Unfortunately, it's a little more difficult to pretend to be an autoworker than it is to pretend to be a devoted Christian.

I have no problem with wolves that can be identified as wolves... it's when they start dressing as sheep I have a problem with them. :thumb:

It's also interesting that some of the people that are at the front of the line demanding the separation of church and state are also the first to charge the pulpit when it's time to wrangle votes... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, it's a little more difficult to pretend to be an autoworker than it is to pretend to be a devoted Christian.

I have no problem with wolves that can be identified as wolves... it's when they start dressing as sheep I have a problem with them. :thumb:

How do you know if they're a sheep or not?