Natonal Championship and Heisman.....

Riverside 157

Brohms chances of winning the Hesiman have absolutly nothing to do with Woodson. Woodson, in my opinion, needs to win out, to truly have a "chance" to win the award. He can have a great year, is off to a great start, but there are a couple of toughies on the schedule that remain......

Woodson has no chance no matter how the season plays out. That's not to say he wouldn't deserve it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=gamedayFinal073

Can a quarterback lose a Heisman Trophy because his team's secondary can't find a wide receiver without a searchlight and a pack of bloodhounds?

We're going to find out.

Louisville's Brian Brohm is putting up Heisman-esque numbers this season: more than 1,100 passing yards, 11 touchdowns, just one interception, 67 percent of his passes completed. Saturday night against rival Kentucky on the road, Brohm brilliantly led an 83-yard drive -- completing six out of seven passes -- for the go-ahead touchdown with 1:45 left.

ncf_a_brohm_275.jpg AP Photo/Ed Reinke

Louisville's Brian Brohm put up huge numbers, but could take a fall in the Heisman rankings.

Turns out he got his team downfield too fast. Because the last thing he wants to do this year is count on the Louisville defense to close out a game.

Sure enough, a massive coverage bust helped produce a 57-yard touchdown pass from Andre' Woodson to Steve Johnson with 28 seconds left. Just that quickly, the night became a coronation of Woodson (who deserves it, having thrown four TD passes in the game and shattered the SEC record for consecutive passes without an interception). And now Brohm's Heisman campaign probably is in John Edwards, come-from-behind mode.

Arkansas' Darren McFadden is probably wondering whether the same thing happened to him Saturday night. His 200 rushing yards against Alabama were overcome by the Crimson Tide's 41 points.

Both players should not be counted out of the Heisman race by any stretch. But don't be surprised if we start hearing more about guys such as Florida's Tim Tebow, Boston College's Matt Ryan, and, yes, Woodson -- guys whose teams are still unbeaten.

Fact is, the Heisman has become almost inextricably linked with team success. It has almost become an award for the best player on a team in the top 10 (or even the top five).

That's how you end up with an Eric Crouch winning the thing. So although Brohm and McFadden should remain in the discussion, they're each a loss or two from being pushed out.

In Brohm's case, more losses appear likely with a defense that cannot reliably stop a leaky faucet, much less West Virginia or Rutgers or South Florida or Cincinnati.

Word is that head coach Steve Kragthorpe became more hands-on with the Louisville D after its inept performance against Middle Tennessee. The Cardinals were better on that side of the ball against Kentucky, but far from stout.

We'll see when the ESPN.com Heisman poll rolls out this week how much Brohm has to pay for that.

:lol:

If UK goes undefeated he won't win?

My honest opinion...

If UK goes undefeated this year, Andre Woodson would be a lock to win the Heisman and might win it by the largest margin ever.

Are you kidding me? A first-round pro prospect at QB leads UK to a bowl win over Clemson as a junior and then returns to lead them to an undefeated season...he'd have to win it. It's Kentucky. They just don't go undefeated in football, so if he lead them to that...they'd almost certainly be in the BCS Title game because that would include a win over Florida and LSU (maybe two wins over LSU)...how could they give it to anyone else?

My honest opinion...

If UK goes undefeated this year, Andre Woodson would be a lock to win the Heisman and might win it by the largest margin ever.

Are you kidding me? A first-round pro prospect at QB leads UK to a bowl win over Clemson as a junior and then returns to lead them to an undefeated season...he'd have to win it. It's Kentucky. They just don't go undefeated in football, so if he lead them to that...they'd almost certainly be in the BCS Title game because that would include a win over Florida and LSU (maybe two wins over LSU)...how could they give it to anyone else?

Thats my opinion too. Now the big disclaimer is that I think UK has about a 1% chance of going undefeated, and maybe a 5% chance of only having 1 loss. BUT, that IS a CHANCE.

Brohm will not win the award? If Brohm wins out and throws for over 4,000 yards ( which IMO he will) and around 30-35 touchdowns, who else will win it? Woodson?? I highly doubt it. And U of L could win out and still make the national championship game. USC could get beat, so could Florida, LSU, West Virginia, and every other team ahead of them.

And the exact same thing that happened to them last year would happen again. A one loss team from the SEC, Pac 10 or Big 12 would get in the National Championship Game ahead of them. UL has no chance to win the Heisman. As for Brohm I didn't see any thing that either he, or McFadden for Arkansas did wrong in their team's losses that would eliminate them from the Heisman race.

And the exact same thing that happened to them last year would happen again. A one loss team from the SEC, Pac 10 or Big 12 would get in the National Championship Game ahead of them. UL has no chance to win the Heisman. As for Brohm I didn't see any thing that either he, or McFadden for Arkansas did wrong in their team's losses that would eliminate them from the Heisman race.

It's not that they did anything wrong, but team losses ultimately hurt a players Heisman chances. A loss @ Kentucky, whom they had owned recently, when U of L was talking national title before the season really hurts his chances.

Are the completely done? No, but not far from it, IMO.

They'd have to win out...and he'd have to play lights out, which is possible. One thing in Brohm's advantage, IMO, is U of L's schedule. They play the trio of USF, West Virginia and Rutgers in succession to close the season...it's likely those three weeks will decide the Big East so the games will get a lot of hype and they'll give Brohm a chance to shine under a big spotlight and lead his team to a Big East title by winning big games in succession to end the season. Big games and wins at the end of the season always give a big boost to a guys heisman chances...also, two of those games will give him a chance to win head-to-head vs. other contenders (White, Slaton, and Rice).

That's his chance, IMO...to lead U of L to the Big East title in grand fashion by outplaying those other guys and carrying his team to victory. For instance, if he had huge games and lead U of L on game winning TD drives inside of 2 minutes to play in those games...imagine the credit he would receiver for his stats and his clutch play.