Northern Ky Team with Grass/Synthetic mix?

CoachJ

I thought I read on here somewhere that there was a program in NKy. that had experimented successfully with installing CRUSHED RUBBER (like in synthetic fields) as a base (4" deep?) for NATURAL GRASS?

This was not just "mixing together" dirt and rubber like has been done on many fields around the state, but some process that allows the rubber to be the COMPLETE base and the grass somehow is able to still thrive growing up through it.

If so, could someone post here or PM me on which school it is...I need to do some research on it. Thanks.

I thought I read on here somewhere that there was a program in NKy. that had experimented successfully with installing CRUSHED RUBBER (like in synthetic fields) as a base (4" deep?) for NATURAL GRASS?

This was not just "mixing together" dirt and rubber like has been done on many fields around the state, but some process that allows the rubber to be the COMPLETE base and the grass somehow is able to still thrive growing up through it.

If so, could someone post here or PM me on which school it is...I need to do some research on it. Thanks.

Raceland did this. This was formulated by Michigan State University, who did research on how best to apply the crumb rubber.

The process was as follows:

Allow the grass to grow around six inches.

Apply roughly one inch of crumb rubber, with a devise such as a golf course manicurer.

Water heavily to allow the crumb rubber to settle to the ground.

Allow grass to grow.

Apply a second layer of one inch of crumb rubber.

Water heavily to allow crumb rubber to settle.

Then you have a two inch layer of crumb rubber as a base, and you can cut the grass as normal.

This process did keep Raceland's field in much better condition throughout the season. We had no mud areas or warren places for the entire season. It also gave a spongy feeling while walking or running on the field.

Raceland payed for this process though grant money, which covered the purchace of the crumb rubber and the installation.

I've never had the opportunity to play on synthetic surfaces, so I'm ignorant to the types of field technology that exists these days. That said, I'm curious as which is better to play on: a traditional "turf" field or the type of field that you have described here? I assume the traditional turf field requires less maintenance, but does it sacrifice play quality? Also, which is cheaper to install?

I've never had the opportunity to play on synthetic surfaces, so I'm ignorant to the types of field technology that exists these days. That said, I'm curious as which is better to play on: a traditional "turf" field or the type of field that you have described here? I assume the traditional turf field requires less maintenance, but does it sacrifice play quality? Also, which is cheaper to install?

I would say that field turf would be the optimal surface for a school to have. But the draw back is easily the cost. To apply field turf to an existing field would run $800K with minimal preparation work.

The flip side would of course be natural surface. The cheapest for an immediate time frame. But you have continual maintenance.

The method described in this thread is a hybrid of the two. The cost of applying the crumb rubber was, I think, around $40K. It enhanced the natural service, but it is by no means field turf. It helps to make the playing surface in good condition for the entire season, in stead of it becoming a mud pit, or becoming bare from 20 to 20 in between the hashes.

Now, if you are calling AstroTurf a "Traditional artificial surface", anything is better. I would put surfaces in this order: Field turf, crumb rubber/natural, natural, AstroTurf.

Now, if you are calling AstroTurf a "Traditional artificial surface", anything is better. I would put surfaces in this order: Field turf, crumb rubber/natural, natural, AstroTurf.

Actually, that's how little I do know about the topic. I never knew there were different kids of turf. Thanks for the link though. I will read up on it.

Actually, that's how little I do know about the topic. I never knew there were different kids of turf. Thanks for the link though. I will read up on it.

Astro Turf was the first synthetic surface. The process was basically pouring concrete then over laying indoor/outdoor carpet. I played on several Astro Turf fields, if your skin touched it you had an abrasion. And it was hard as, well, concrete.

Field Turf is the newest and best option for artificial surface. The process is an under fill of sand is layed and the field turf is layed, the field turf has crumb rubber for a base under the surface. The field turf is longer like grass, not sort like indoor/outdoor carpet. The surface is softer then Astro Turf or natural surface. Less injuries occur with field turf.

Campbell County had the rubber injected into the ground a couple years ago.Then killed off the grass and planted Bermuda grass. That field is awsome now.

With the injection of the rubber, I wonder if they still let the cows graze on the field!! (lol)

What kind of maintenance is required to maintain the crumb rubber following the initial installation?

That, I am not sure about. Initially, nothing additional is required. But, I would guess that after so many years you would have put an additional layer down. This is Racelands third year with it, and it has not deteriorated as of yet.