Free or nearly free restaurant meals

Dlbdonn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a family member that runs a big restaurant chain here in Louisville and he has a customer that comes in a few times a month and complains about something until he gets the meal for free. He wants to give the guy a piece of his mind but the home office policy says that he can't do anything about it so he has to just bite his tongue.

Having worked in various restaurants throughout high school and college, I have a VERY high tolerance for sub-standard food/service. Anytime service is slow due to the restaurant being short staffed, I just remember what it was like when I was in that situation and it doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not saying I've never complained, but I truly can't remember the last time I did. And when I do complain, I explain to the server exactly what the nature of the complaint is. I let him/her know that I have been in their shoes and understand how tough their biz is. And under no circumstance do I ever complain in a manner that will cause them embarrassment in front of other patrons in the establishment. As far as complaining about food quality, I basically never do this unless it's a matter of food safety such as under-cooked chicken or pork for example. If the food is prepared correctly, and I just happen not to like it I just make a mental note not to order that dish again and get on with life.

As other posters have mentioned, I too have a few friends that complain EVERY SINGLE time they dine out. I simply don't dine with them anymore because it's just too much of an embarrassment.

I am a big tipper (part of being in the industry), some of you may be pleasantly surprised to find out that PAPA JOHN (John Schnatter), is a disgustingly huge tipper (generally 100%), and is always a nice guy, maybe too nce at times...Anyways, I am an easy going guy, I really just want to make sure the beverage service is how I like it....the food I will get to depending on where I am.

I have a family member that runs a big restaurant chain here in Louisville and he has a customer that comes in a few times a month and complains about something until he gets the meal for free. He wants to give the guy a piece of his mind but the home office policy says that he can't do anything about it so he has to just bite his tongue.

In the off chance that your family member ever accidentally bites his tongue off I would put the severed tongue segment in that customer's next meal if I were him. Now how often can you get such good advice for free?:D

I will just leave my response at this: my view of how someone treats a server at a restaurant, via the tip, verbally, or otherwise, is one of a small handful of things that tell me whether I will associate with someone or not. If you will abuse a server over something the kitchen screwed up, you will abuse anyone. I once turned down a $10K retainer when the prospective business client bit a waitresses head off because he ordered broccoli as a side dish and was delivered green beans.