What does it take to became a State Champ?

Be a big school and play in a lower class.:sssh:

I guess your right, poor little private school Qwensboro Catholic is still 2 A in 2007 while 2004 State champ, Belfry, and 2005 2A State champ Russell have moved up to 3A. The other thing I noticed is 6 out of the last 8 State champions have been private schools. So by looking at this ,you need to be a bigger public school playing smaller schools or be a private school.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the will to JUST WIN!! I can remember back to my senior season and we went to state and beat teams that we probably shouldn't have been on the field with. We (the players) had a will to WIN, and we pulled off one of the greatest upsets in football.

I guess your right, poor little private school Qwensboro Catholic is still 2 A in 2007 while 2004 State champ, Belfry, and 2005 2A State champ Russell have moved up to 3A. The other thing I noticed is 6 out of the last 8 State champions have been private schools. So by looking at this ,you need to be a bigger public school playing smaller schools or be a private school.

Or, be a bigger private school playing smaller schools.:thumb:

Here comes the public vs private debate.:D

Aside from a little luck and a great program? It takes talent, great coaching, an entire returning team to buy into the idea that the road to a state championship starts the day after the previous season ends. Most teams and players fail to realize that level of commitment and consequently only have a few individuals that have put the necessary time in. At great programs like HHS, Trinity, ST. X and so on, the kids there know what it takes and what is expected inorder to become champions. You can't start working hard after the dead period and expect to still be playing in December.

Aside from a little luck and a great program? It takes talent, great coaching, an entire returning team to buy into the idea that the road to a state championship starts the day after the previous season ends. Most teams and players fail to realize that level of commitment and consequently only have a few individuals that have put the necessary time in. At great programs like HHS, Trinity, ST. X and so on, the kids there know what it takes and what is expected inorder to become champions. You can't start working hard after the dead period and expect to still be playing in December.

I totally agree with you on those points!

Agree on program ... To win state in a particular year means your composite fundamentals in that year were better than everyone you defeated. This was the case for the 2005 Devils. No flash , no stars , just solid fundamentals in more areas than anyone else in 2A .... Kids , scheme and coaching produce these results ... That's the beauty of this team sport ...