When are parents going to learn?

Recently I ref'd a summer scrimmage game. Two parents sitting in the 2nd row calling for this foul and that foul and this violation and that violation. I glanced in the crowd once and he was staring me down. I almost stopped the game to laugh and tell him to quit acting like a teenager male thinking that "staring" at me was going to somehow do something.

At one point, THEIR DAUGHTER while shooting a free throw, asked me to THROW HER PARENTS out of the gym. How sad and embarrassing for their child. She was to the point she would rather NOT have her parents in the gym than to have them in the gym.

Looking back at it now, I wish I would have had the gumption to stick up for this young lady and remove them from the gym, but I was afraid that I would cause her more problems when she got home.

This young lady came to play basketball and represent Scott High in a scrimmage game and her parents embarrassed her to the point she wanted them removed from the game. Even the coaches made a comment that ignore them because of how they act.

When are parents going to learn to SHUT UP and enjoy watching your child play.

Your screaming DOES NOTHING in getting a call from an official.

It ONLY serves to embarrass your child AND sit the tone that it is okay to act like that. Would they as parents be embarrassed if their child acted the same way on the floor as they acted from the stands?

I coached soccer at one point early in my teaching career and there was a NKY parent that each year would be BANNED for the remainder of the season because of his actions. How embarrassing to that young lady to have her father BANNED because he couldn't sit on the sidelines and simply enjoy watching his daughter play.

The game IS NOT ABOUT YOU and no one especially your child wants to hear you yelling at the officials or yelling at the team UNLESS it involves the words "GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or "WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMEN!!!!!:thumb:

Had a similar instance happen at a Gallatin County game this past year. Believe me, I'm no saint when I'm in the stands, but you're right LBBC, it's about the kids.

Most of the time and I'll be the first one to admit, that you live your childhood through your kids. But the instance you relate is intolerable.

Parents like that need to GROW UP!!!!

Recently I ref'd a summer SCRIMMAGE GAME. Two parents sitting in the 2nd row calling for this foul and that foul and this violation and that violation. I glanced in the crowd once and he was staring me down. I almost stopped the game to laugh and tell him to quit acting like a teenager male thinking that "staring" at me was going to somehow do something.

At one point, THEIR DAUGHTER while shooting a free throw, asked me to THROW HER PARENTS out of the gym. How sad and embarrassing for their child. She was to the point she would rather NOT have her parents in the gym than to have them in the gym.

Looking back at it now, I wish I would have had the gumption to stick up for this young lady and remove them from the gym, but I was afraid that I would cause her more problems when she got home.

This young lady came to play basketball and represent Scott High in a scrimmage game and her parents embarrassed her to the point she wanted them removed from the game. Even the coaches made a comment that ignore them because of how they act.

Your screaming DOES NOTHING in getting a call from an official.

It ONLY serves to embarrass your child AND sit the tone that it is okay to act like that. Would they as parents be embarrassed if their child acted the same way on the floor as they acted from the stands?

I coached soccer at one point early in my teaching career and there was a NKY parent that each year would be BANNED for the remainder of the season because of his actions. How embarrassing to that young lady to have her father BANNED because he couldn't sit on the sidelines and simply enjoy watching his daughter play.

The game IS NOT ABOUT YOU and no one especially your child wants to hear you yelling at the officials or yelling at the team UNLESS it involves the words "GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or "WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This young lady came to play basketball and represent Scott High in a scrimmage game and her parents embarrassed her to the point she wanted them removed from the game. Even the coaches made a comment that ignore them because of how they act

LBBC, I know exactly who you are talking about. And, I feel bad for the girl. She is a very nice girl, and has alot of potential.

This young lady came to play basketball and represent Scott High in a scrimmage game and her parents embarrassed her to the point she wanted them removed from the game. Even the coaches made a comment that ignore them because of how they act

LBBC, I know exactly who you are talking about. And, I feel bad for the girl. She is a very nice girl, and has alot of potential.

Sadly your comment makes the situation worse as it indicates this is not the first time they have embarrassed their child.

And I agree some coaches, and I had a tendency to do it too:irked: , need to look at themselves. This past season I received a technical and handled it wrongly. Before the game was over I apologized to the official in front of the team and then talked to the team afterwards on my poor behavior and how I should have handled it.

I've noticed that the problem seems to worsen if the player is an only child or the oldest child in the family. Not all but many parents seem to calm considerably by the time the second child goes through. I haven't decided if it's just the wisdom of aging or if they see the damage they did to the first child. I was never the raging lunatic parent but I did and said some things when my first was playing that I am throughly ashamed of now.

Ballermom, I agree and also know who you are talking about. Each year when we meet prior to the season, parent behavior is discussed. Rather than ignore the problem I think as parents of one of the other girls we have a duty to speak up to the coach and maybe have a refresher course during the season. I can honestly say that I have not done my part as a parent but after reading this thread it is apparent that it reflects poorly on the team. I too, have had my moments when I questioned a call but 99% my comments are good job girls. It is rather embarrassing to see our High Schools name in lights due to this kind of activity. In the long run it will only hurt our girls.

I didn't mean for this to be an indictment against Scott High. All schools probably have these set of parents.

I know my children have played, do play, on teams with the same type of parents. And when it comes to have teams that are not school teams and we can choose to NOT be associated with those parents (meaning their child is not invited to continue playing with us), that is what we do.

Sorry, but I am not going to take a group of youngsters and their parents and travel and play in leagues/tournaments and have my named associated with these type of parents being in the stands. School team, you got to take them, non-school team, you don't.

That is one of the things I like best about private schools. Parents how their butts this way and the private school can easily say, thanks for the support but you need to take your children another place. That would be nice to have that option.

This is something that is very sad on parents parts and really needs to be stopped... but im afraid that it never will

It can be stopped. I reffed for a number of years and the way to stop it in a scrimmage is to tell the person that one more word and you will stop the scrimmage until they leave. They did not pay to get in and most likely you are not getting paid to work the scrimmage. Just stick to your guns and stop the scrimmage if they continue. They will leave from embarrassment.