When are parents going to learn?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Recently I ref'd a summer scrimmage game. Two parents sitting in the 2nd row calling for this foul and that foul and this violation and that violation. I glanced in the crowd once and he was staring me down. I almost stopped the game to laugh and tell him to quit acting like a teenager male thinking that "staring" at me was going to somehow do something.

At one point, THEIR DAUGHTER while shooting a free throw, asked me to THROW HER PARENTS out of the gym. How sad and embarrassing for their child. She was to the point she would rather NOT have her parents in the gym than to have them in the gym.

Looking back at it now, I wish I would have had the gumption to stick up for this young lady and remove them from the gym, but I was afraid that I would cause her more problems when she got home.

This young lady came to play basketball and represent Scott High in a scrimmage game and her parents embarrassed her to the point she wanted them removed from the game. Even the coaches made a comment that ignore them because of how they act.

When are parents going to learn to SHUT UP and enjoy watching your child play.

Your screaming DOES NOTHING in getting a call from an official.

It ONLY serves to embarrass your child AND sit the tone that it is okay to act like that. Would they as parents be embarrassed if their child acted the same way on the floor as they acted from the stands?

I coached soccer at one point early in my teaching career and there was a NKY parent that each year would be BANNED for the remainder of the season because of his actions. How embarrassing to that young lady to have her father BANNED because he couldn't sit on the sidelines and simply enjoy watching his daughter play.

The game IS NOT ABOUT YOU and no one especially your child wants to hear you yelling at the officials or yelling at the team UNLESS it involves the words "GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or "WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

An absolute great post. Sad but it is true . Parents can sure ruin a game. Even from the fans point. I hate to set beside some nut acting like he/she should be the coach. There probably is a reason he/she isn't. I witnessed one father at the local high school yelling at his daughter. The coach would yell one play and he would yell at her to do another. A pitiful example for his child. I wish these parents would quit trying to relive their youth through their kids and just let them play.

I saw a sign going into a gym in Eastern Kentucky and I think it summed it up nicely.....and I totally agree with it.

Players Play

Coaches Coach

referees Referee

Parents Cheer

Clear, concise and to the point.

I personally learned alot from that sign......So I guess Bill Engvall is right......Here is your sign.

Sounds like they all need a good dose of Upwards Basketball fan training from Lex.

When my daughter was in 2nd grade she played and I loved the fan training you received. You had to clap for all of the kids (both teams) and you could not yell.