Creationists believe the Bible is the literal account of history....

Timothy was instructing Christians on how to run the church, and how to win people to Christ. If you think man put the Bible together you are missing the point. Timothy might not have known that his letters and accounts would become gospel, but God did. This is why it says all scripture is God Breathed, not Timothy breathed.

As for history, most everyone, including atheist agree that the Bible is an accurate account of history - they only disagree on Jesus being the son of God.

As for Sceince: the Bible has water displacement, several comparative studies on proportions, chemistry, genealogy, herbatology, and many other scientific principles.

I don't know anyone who believes that. I went to Catholic schools growing up, and never once did anyone ever claim that the Bible was 100% accurate and factual. The plagues (except for the 10th) were all explaininable by rare events, the two of every animal theory has always been considered a stretching of facts.....

While I believe the Bible is fairly accurate, I don't feel many hold the belief that it is an "accurate account of history" as you say.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anyone who believes that. I went to Catholic schools growing up, and never once did anyone ever claim that the Bible was 100% accurate and factual. The plagues (except for the 10th) were all explaininable by rare events, the two of every animal theory has always been considered a stretching of facts.....

While I believe the Bible is fairly accurate, I don't feel many hold the belief that it is an "accurate account of history" as you say.

I was only going on arguments that I have seen on tv and heard on radio, where atheist say they believe that the Bible has historical relevance but they do not believe the religious implications.

Many people, who are not Christians, say that the people in the Bible are real, but say they are not special, only people. For example: Muslims believe that Jesus Christ lived and was a prophet, not the Son of God. I don't know anyone, maybe you do, that disputes that Herod was a real person, Josephus - who many believe to be a real historian - confirms many of the things that are documented in the Bible.

I am not Catholic, so I do not know many of your teachings or beliefs, I did not mean that all people believe the Bible to a true depiction of history, but most and I stick to that. Christians ofcorse believe it, Muslims believe it to be a historically correct to a point as do: atheist, Mormons, Presbyterians, Pentecostals and agnostics. Do I mean that all of these people believe it, no I am sure that some members of the above groups do not believe the Bible to be historically correct.

I do and is the position of my church.

I do and is the position of my church.

I was speaking more of people I've met personally. I have no problem with people who do believe that, but I'm of the impression that many don't take the Bible as literal, or at least not every word of it.

I was speaking more of people I've met personally. I have no problem with people who do believe that, but I'm of the impression that many don't take the Bible as literal, or at least not every word of it.

My problem with not taking everything as accurate or literal depending on how you define literal, means it becomes LBBC's interpretation. And I know that is dangerous. Where do I have the ability or right to determine if an angel really came to talk to Mary or not or if there was a virgin birth? If I am not going to believe the virgin birth when the Bible claims a virgin birth, how can I believe any of the rest of it? If one part is wrong then that calls into question all of it.

My problem with not taking everything as accurate or literal depending on how you define literal, means it becomes LBBC's interpretation. And I know that is dangerous. Where do I have the ability or right to determine if an angel really came to talk to Mary or not or if there was a virgin birth? If I am not going to believe the virgin birth when the Bible claims a virgin birth, how can I believe any of the rest of it? If one part is wrong then that calls into question all of it.

If you KNOW it all to be correct, then there is no need for faith.

I am going to use a loose example, I hope I am not 'crucified' for it -

Aesop told many stories, probably none of them true but they all had truth in them. You don't have to take Aesop's stories literally to understand the message and the message does not lose its power b/c the stories are not factual - the truth is the truth.

The Genesis story simply does not jive with what we know about the natural world and the Bible makes no claim to be a science or history book. If God would not lead us astray why would God trick us? Did the sun, which never moves, actually stand still . . .

We are not even sure of the actual year of Jesus' birth - Herod is NOT a proven historical figure (at least not the one said to have been ruling @ the time of Jesus' birth)

Noah is the retelling of an ancient Sumerian story . . .

John thought and preached like Jesus was coming back in his lifetime - how could he get that important fact WRONG - if you are not married, he says, stay that way for the Lord is coming soon and you need to not get tangled up before then.

Jesus says "Lo I am with you even until the end of the Ages" and we talk about the second coming . . .

The creation stories in Genesis 1 and 2 are even contradictory - one is a story of order, and the other of Chaos (but both have God at the center of Creation which is the Truth we are to get from the story).

Do you not believe that God could have the sun stand still if he wanted?

Why is the ancient Sumerian story not a retelling of Noah?

If I cannot believe when the Bible tells me that Jesus was born a virgin is true, how can I believe anything else it tells me.

I may visit. Ken Hamm is smart and I think some of his explanations make sense. However, I believe that limiting God to 6000 years is shortsighted and underappreciative of Him and His works.

Does anyone think that maybe with the Bible being passed down through so many ages and apparently many different translations, some parts of the bible got left out/lost or misinterpreted ?

Just curious, this is not a challenge to anyones opinions or beliefs-

Does anyone think that maybe with the Bible being passed down through so many ages and apparently many different translations, some parts of the bible got left out/lost or misinterpreted ?

It certainly has.

Yes.

I think God intentionally left things out of the Bible to simplify Genesis. I don't think the Patriarchs had a clear enough understanding of thermodynamics, astrophysics and wave mechanics for Him to go into much depth. I believe that this is true of the first 10 chapters of Genesis. The stories aren't false, but just worded in an understandable way for that time in history.

To say yes to the question, means God is not capable of preventing his message from being changed over centuries. I prefer to think that God is more powerful than that.

Again, I believe the Holy Spirit has been involved in making sure the message of God is complete and accurate as God wants it to be.

If you KNOW it all to be correct, then there is no need for faith.

I am going to use a loose example, I hope I am not 'crucified' for it -

Aesop told many stories, probably none of them true but they all had truth in them. You don't have to take Aesop's stories literally to understand the message and the message does not lose its power b/c the stories are not factual - the truth is the truth.

The Genesis story simply does not jive with what we know about the natural world and the Bible makes no claim to be a science or history book. If God would not lead us astray why would God trick us? Did the sun, which never moves, actually stand still . . .

We are not even sure of the actual year of Jesus' birth - Herod is NOT a proven historical figure (at least not the one said to have been ruling @ the time of Jesus' birth)

Noah is the retelling of an ancient Sumerian story . . .

John thought and preached like Jesus was coming back in his lifetime - how could he get that important fact WRONG - if you are not married, he says, stay that way for the Lord is coming soon and you need to not get tangled up before then.

Jesus says "Lo I am with you even until the end of the Ages" and we talk about the second coming . . .

The creation stories in Genesis 1 and 2 are even contradictory - one is a story of order, and the other of Chaos (but both have God at the center of Creation which is the Truth we are to get from the story).

This is a rare occasion. Particularly with the bolded part I agree 100% with Ace's post.

By the very definition faith means believeing in something that is not proveable. I can not (no one can) say that I KNOW that God exists, what I do say is that I believe that God exists. Isn't there a passage in the Bible somewhere (I'm not a chapter and verse person) that says that God's measurment of a day was completely different then man's? If that is the case then doesn't that refute those that believe that God created the world in 6 24 hour days?

Do you not believe that God could have the sun stand still if he wanted?

Why is the ancient Sumerian story not a retelling of Noah?

If I cannot believe when the Bible tells me that Jesus was born a virgin is true, how can I believe anything else it tells me.

The Sumerians were gone, or on their way out by the time of Noah. The story is older and takes place earlier in history.

Hey, how come you don't read about the Sumerians in the Bible?