Whitley Co. Coaches Smoking at Middle School Game

AverageJoesGym

It was not an excuse.....it was sarcastic.

Obviously, the coaches could not read or they really just did not care that it is a no smoking area, or had a basic disrespect, either way it makes Whitley County Middle School look bad, and very disapointing. that is why I recommended contacting the principal.

It came across as making an excuse for them. Particularly because of the way you asked about who won the game. My post was not made over sour grapes due to a game outcome. Somerset won the games and the coaches smoking had nothing to do with that. I was concerned about the poor example set by the coaches. However, the coaches are Whitley Co.'s problem and I'll leave their supervision up to the school's principal. We probably won't face them again this year anyway.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when I was playing high school ball down at Newport, one game I was in the dugout and our coach Ray Brown was a smoker. So one time he yelled at me to come over and stand in front of him so he could have a smoke in the dugout an the umpires wouldnt see him. He was an awesome guy tho!

Oh good Lord, so they smoked a cigarette, how tragic.

Will this nonsense ever end?

Probably not.

I'm generally not in favor of "smoking bans" but a coach should not smoke where his or her players may see them. You have to much influence on them.

And as a former coach I can tell you that when I was smoking I DID smoke in front of my players but after all of the trouble I had quitting (7 years ago now!!!!!!) I wouldn't want to do anything to make a teenager think that smoking is OK. If that means walking away from them then so be it. If you want to smoke do it privately.

Probably not.

I'm generally not in favor of "smoking bans" but a coach should not smoke where his or her players may see them. You have to much influence on them.

And as a former coach I can tell you that when I was smoking I DID smoke in front of my players but after all of the trouble I had quitting (7 years ago now!!!!!!) I wouldn't want to do anything to make a teenager think that smoking is OK. If that means walking away from them then so be it. If you want to smoke do it privately.

Kids aren't going to smoke because their coach does, IMO. It's much more likely that they start because their friends do it, same with drinking and drugs.

Kids aren't going to smoke because their coach does, IMO. It's much more likely that they start because their friends do it, same with drinking and drugs.

:thumb: :thumb: Kids do not need to watch coaches to pick up all their bad habits - they have enough examples shoved in their faces from all other walks of life. If smoking is all they pick up from seeing it around them - then perhaps we should be happy since there is far worse stuff out there just lurking around. Not to sound too jaded but I think the problem with our society today is that we try to say that the teaches and the coaches and the other people in our child's life is who should set the example for our children. NOT TRUE - your child should get their directions and habits from the parent. If you teach your children right from wrong then seeing someone smoke shouldn't make them think that they have to run out a grab a quick smoke.

And IMHO if a kid sees their coach smoking they are more likely to start then if it is just their friends. I agree that peer pressure plays a huge role BUT when a middle schooler (or high schooler for that matter) sees his or her coach smoking the implied message is that even though some adults tell me not to do this my adult role models do it so it is OK. FWIW I would include teachers, scoutmasters, youth group leaders, etc. in this catagory. If you work with children and teens then you have a responsibility to set a good example for them. If you don't want that responsibility then don't work with kids. It's that simple. The only reason that I don't include parents in this is because they are the only adults in a childs life that have the right to give even implied consent to their children smoking.

:thumb: :thumb: Kids do not need to watch coaches to pick up all their bad habits - they have enough examples shoved in their faces from all other walks of life. If smoking is all they pick up from seeing it around them - then perhaps we should be happy since there is far worse stuff out there just lurking around. Not to sound too jaded but I think the problem with our society today is that we try to say that the teaches and the coaches and the other people in our child's life is who should set the example for our children. NOT TRUE - your child should get their directions and habits from the parent. If you teach your children right from wrong then seeing someone smoke shouldn't make them think that they have to run out a grab a quick smoke.
Excellent post RK, I couldn't agree more. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I disagree. Teachers, coaches etc. have a great deal of influence on a kids behavior whether they choose to or not. Yes parents SHOULD be the primary value builders in a kids life BUT teachers, coaches et. al. WILL have an influence simply by the amount of time they spend with their charges and I can tell you from experience that as a teen you are much more likely to emulate your coach then you are your parents. Again, if you don't want this responsibility then don't work with kids. It's really that simple.

And IMHO if a kid sees their coach smoking they are more likely to start then if it is just their friends. I agree that peer pressure plays a huge role BUT when a middle schooler (or high schooler for that matter) sees his or her coach smoking the implied message is that even though some adults tell me not to do this my adult role models do it so it is OK. FWIW I would include teachers, scoutmasters, youth group leaders, etc. in this catagory. If you work with children and teens then you have a responsibility to set a good example for them. If you don't want that responsibility then don't work with kids. It's that simple. The only reason that I don't include parents in this is because they are the only adults in a childs life that have the right to give even implied consent to their children smoking.
You give absolutely no credit to kids, you sound as if there are all mindless fools that must mimic all they hear and see. Kids make up their own mind as to what they will and won't do; if they've been taught good values then they will weigh their decision before making it. They will be swayed by peer pressure, but again, their values will come into play. For example, there was nobody my wife looked up to more than her parents, they both smoked like chimneys. A lot of her friends smoked also, my wife has never touched a cigarette and neither has her two sisters.

You give absolutely no credit to kids, you sound as if there are all mindless fools that must mimic all they hear and see. Kids make up their own mind as to what they will and won't do; if they've been taught good values then they will weigh their decision before making it. They will be swayed by peer pressure, but again, their values will come into play. For example, there was nobody my wife looked up to more than her parents, they both smoked like chimneys. A lot of her friends smoked also, my wife has never touched a cigarette and neither has her two sisters.

That's not what I am saying at all and it is a huge stretch for you to get that from what I have written. What I am saying is that kids make their decisions in many ways and one of the factors in their decision making is the example that the adults in thier life set for them. Some kids give in to peer pressure, some do not. To ignore the influence that a coach or teacher can have on the behavior and choices that kids make is like the perverbial ostrich burying his head in the sand.

What if a coach got off the bus and drank a beer in front of the kids before the game started? Would that be OK? Both are products that are legal for adults to use. If it's not OK for the coach to have that beer (and I not talking about drinking to drunkeness here) then why is it OK for him/her to smoke? Both are dangerous and have health consequences. In fact if I'm not mistaken there is now research that drinking some forms of alcohol in moderation can actually have health benefits. Should we also be accepting of a coach drinking in front of theis charges.

It came across as making an excuse for them. Particularly because of the way you asked about who won the game. My post was not made over sour grapes due to a game outcome. Somerset won the games and the coaches smoking had nothing to do with that. I was concerned about the poor example set by the coaches. However, the coaches are Whitley Co.'s problem and I'll leave their supervision up to the school's principal. We probably won't face them again this year anyway.

I was only curious since you brought up the point about their lack of coaching (the comment about not hitting the cut off man) so I was only curious.

If you only complaining for the sake of complaining then why bother? If you were so upset by the incident then complain to somebody who can make a difference. Otherwise you are just trying to make the school look bad.

In reality if I had a child playing for the guy then I would be more upset about the lack of coaching and teaching of basic fundamental baseball such as hitting the cut off man than whether they were smoking or not, then agian maybe they were too busy smoking to be coaching.

Maybe you should have called the Smoking Police.

BTW I have never seen a thread about coaches who dip or chew WHILE IN THE DUGOUT. That goes on a whole lot more than smoking outside the dugout, wouldn't you agree? This complaint seems awfully petty.

That's not what I am saying at all and it is a huge stretch for you to get that from what I have written. What I am saying is that kids make their decisions in many ways and one of the factors in their decision making is the example that the adults in thier life set for them. Some kids give in to peer pressure, some do not. To ignore the influence that a coach or teacher can have on the behavior and choices that kids make is like the perverbial ostrich burying his head in the sand.

What if a coach got off the bus and drank a beer in front of the kids before the game started? Would that be OK? Both are products that are legal for adults to use. If it's not OK for the coach to have that beer (and I not talking about drinking to drunkeness here) then why is it OK for him/her to smoke? Both are dangerous and have health consequences. In fact if I'm not mistaken there is now research that drinking some forms of alcohol in moderation can actually have health benefits. Should we also be accepting of a coach drinking in front of theis charges.

Is it legal for any adult to drink at that game? The answer is no, so the point is moot.

I disagree with you, I think its just more ridiculous overreactions to everything involving kids nowadays. Why is it that people think kids need to be sheltered form everything? Good Lord, we're turning kids into total basket-cases.