Whitley Co. Coaches Smoking at Middle School Game

AverageJoesGym

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it legal for any adult to drink at that game? The answer is no, so the point is moot.

I disagree with you, I think its just more ridiculous overreactions to everything involving kids nowadays. Why is it that people think kids need to be sheltered form everything? Good Lord, we're turning kids into total basket-cases.

And I disagree with you because I think that coaches (particularly those for school teams) have a responsibility to set an example for their players and yes that include chewing and dipping. If you don't want to accept those responsibilities then don't coach.

And I disagree with you because I think that coaches (particularly those for school teams) have a responsibility to set an example for their players and yes that include chewing and dipping. If you don't want to accept those responsibilities then don't coach.
I say ridiculous. People act as if smoking is as bad as doing heroin anymore. Sorry All Tell, you and I agree on many things, but I think you are extremely left leaning on this one. Kids seeing their coach smoke isn't going to hurt anyone.

Is it legal for any adult to drink at that game? The answer is no, so the point is moot.

I disagree with you, I think its just more ridiculous overreactions to everything involving kids nowadays. Why is it that people think kids need to be sheltered form everything? Good Lord, we're turning kids into total basket-cases.

But in the earlier thread it was stated that the school property is a no smoking zone, so in a sense it was illegal for the coach to smoke there also... So what is your stance on the coach smoking now. And I just might ask, where is it written that a middle school coach can't drink a beer during a game? Should he do it? Would hate to see it, but...is it illegal? So the kids seeing their coach clearly doing something that he wasn't suspose to be doing is OK with you?

But in the earlier thread it was stated that the school property is a no smoking zone, so in a sense it was illegal for the coach to smoke there also... So what is your stance on the coach smoking now. And I just might ask, where is it written that a middle school coach can't drink a beer during a game? Should he do it? Would hate to see it, but...is it illegal? So the kids seeing their coach clearly doing something that he wasn't suspose to be doing is OK with you?
No, you can not consume alcohol on any of these fields.

I have heard nothing about not being able to smoke at the fields, but if it's not permitted, then it was wrong, only because they broke the law.

]I disagree.[/b] Teachers, coaches etc. have a great deal of influence on a kids behavior whether they choose to or not. Yes parents SHOULD be the primary value builders in a kids life BUT teachers, coaches et. al. WILL have an influence simply by the amount of time they spend with their charges and I can tell you from experience that as a teen you are much more likely to emulate your coach then you are your parents. Again, if you don't want this responsibility then don't work with kids. It's really that simple.

To disagree is healthy:thumb: I can tell you from experience that as a teen (years ago;)) and as a sister and aunt of boys who used to be teens, I didn't and nor has any of the boys in our family emulated anything bad a coach did. If we had, gosh knows what kind of bad habits we would have picked up. The point I am trying to make is as a parent you have to be responsible for the raising of your child. You cannot blame anything bad your child does on people around them. You put these people in charge of your children while they are in school and it would be wonderful if all of these people were perfect but they aren't. They are only human and they do human things and some of those human things are bad habits. With all the bad things happening in schools, killings, kidnappings, drugs and children being molested, I just think that a puff of smoke is by far the last thing we need to be harping about.

To disagree is healthy:thumb: I can tell you from experience that as a teen (years ago;)) and as a sister and aunt of boys who used to be teens, I didn't and nor has any of the boys in our family emulated anything bad a coach did. If we had, gosh knows what kind of bad habits we would have picked up. The point I am trying to make is as a parent you have to be responsible for the raising of your child. You cannot blame anything bad your child does on people around them. You put these people in charge of your children while they are in school and it would be wonderful if all of these people were perfect but they aren't. They are only human and they do human things and some of those human things are bad habits. With all the bad things happening in schools, killings, kidnappings, drugs and children being molested, I just think that a puff of smoke is by far the last thing we need to be harping about.

Very well said!!! There will forever be a parent looking to blame society for there childrens misbehaviors...dicipline starts at home. As far as the coaches setting a bad example, how many times have we been late for an appointment and have our kids in the car and break that 65 mph speed limit...How many times do we eat at a restaraunt and see parents drinking, and knowing they have to drive their kids home? There are so many bad examples out there, that kids seeing someone smoking should be the very least of our worries...Its not like kids don't see the same thing outside the doors at Wal_mart, but I bet that don't stop their parents from shopping there. None of us are perfect. We just try to do the very best we can in raising our kids in todays world. Alot of us will be very lucky if all our kids ever see is a coach outside a dugout smoking a cigarette.