Montgomery names Coach

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could be the case but I'm not sure, maybe someone that knows the answer to that can chime in to clarify that for us. That still being the case why wouldn't you interview just to make sure you were getting the best candidate? It will leave open the discussion, I'm sure, if things don't live up to the expectations of a program that is expected to compete for if not win the 10th Region next season. They are not rebuilding at Montgomery Co. they reloading!

Posted on KHSAA website.

Montgomery County — Job Title: Head Girls Basketball Coach

Montgomery HS is looking for an individual to fill this position. Head coaching experience preferred. Must be a member of the certified staff. Such additional qualifications as the Superintendent or Board may find appropriate and acceptable.

Stating it must be a member of the certified staff didn't really leave room for outside people to apply.

Posted on KHSAA website.

Montgomery County — Job Title: Head Girls Basketball Coach

Montgomery HS is looking for an individual to fill this position. Head coaching experience preferred. Must be a member of the certified staff. Such additional qualifications as the Superintendent or Board may find appropriate and acceptable.

Stating it must be a member of the certified staff didn't really leave room for outside people to apply.

You definitely miss out on a good number of coaches when you limit the search to certified staff only. I have mixed feelings on why schools do this, I know its easier for communication when someone is on the coaching staff is also in the school system, but that is why you surround yourself with an assistant who is in the school as a certified employee. I know there will be a difference of opinions about this, but its a item that is good discussion. If KHSAA allows, why aren't there more hires that aren't certified?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think it is a state law that the job has to be posted publicly for 30 days, at least in the public school system.

Could "certified staff" mean "certified teacher" or does it actually mean a Mont Co staff member? Poor wording/description by our higher education institute, IMO.

I coach high school not in the school system and my two assistants handle everything in house. I walk in the gym at 330 ready to go and things run so smoothly that way. I have contact with my AD and Sup, sometimes the prin. I have never had a problem. I feel like the schools are better suited to hire outside people. Here is why: you need to hire a basketball coach but all you have is a biology opening. Way I see it, there isnt a whole lot of them out there coaching ball. So, you hire outside the best candidate that you can and then go and find the best biology teacher that you can, in both cases the kids win.

I wonder how long Coach Kindred would have committed to the program had he been named head coach..

5 years would have given his daughter time to graduate and then assess his own career as far as retirement and then his younger daughter into middle school if he wanted to stay around and coach her.

5 years would have given his daughter time to graduate and then assess his own career as far as retirement and then his younger daughter into middle school if he wanted to stay around and coach her.

Does his two daughters play basketball?

I think many of the schools give preference to a certified staff member but in many cases hire outside the school. However, it does make it easier if they have a teacher on as an assistant, even if it is just to handle the administrative duties.

Many of the schools do require a bachelor's degree.