Why Not Britt?

Scooter, over and over, I read about how your facts justify all your conclusions. You cite reasons why a certain coach or player should be awarded with certain awards. Hey, that's great-support you’re team-nothing wrong with that and it can even be admirable. However, to say that someone else's conclusions are utterly wrong, biased and without any factual backing goes over the line. Given the same set of facts, or more importantly adding facts to a specific scenario, can lead to different conclusions.

In some cases, to say that one conclusion is more valid than another is narrow-minded thinking. We are all talking about SUBJECTIVE awards here where there are NO specific guidelines. The facts you present may be correct, but not enough support for some to agree with you. It is a personal choice. In your goodly number of comments, you seem to give credence only to those posters who agree with you. You summarily reject all other viewpoints. This leads me to believe that there may be bias in your own conclusion, thus damaging (in my opinion) the strength of your position.

Bottom line – season awards are by their nature subjective. Just because your view of reality differs from another doesn’t mean you are right and they are wrong. In this type of voting, there are no absolutes, regardless of how strongly you feel about a subject.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intentional Foul, all of your analysis is well and good and, to be honest, I agree with most of it. All I asked was for those of you who support the choice of Coach A to justify your conclusion with facts. Such selections as COY are, of course, subjective. However, are they subjective because of interpretations of actual facts or because of personalities? If you think my facts are incorrect, point out the "errors" of my ways.

As for bias, I have repeatedly stated that I am an advocate and not a reporter. Advocates are naturally biased in that they present the story from a particular viewpoint. While I am biased in believing that Coach B truly earned the COY, the facts back me up. If you disagree, give me a good valid argument, other than personalities and "good old boy" loyalties, as to why Coach A should win the award.

I have received a pm that leads me to believe that the headband incident actually happened. However, I have far less problem with an 18 year old exercising her guaranteed First Amendment right to defend her friend/teammate than I do with coaches who, by acts of omission and acts of commission, exclude a fellow coach because they feel they are superior. Those of whom I speak know I am speaking the truth. Respect? Come on. Respect is earned not a sacred right reserved for men who coach girls.

The award was for head coach of the year. It was not for asst. coach of the year.

Is that the best you can come up with, marooncat? Innuendo doesn't advance your position nor gain you any credibility. However, a few facts (you obviously have none) would help a little. I want you to justify giving the award to Coach A. I don't need any more disparaging remarks about Coach B. Of course, if that is all you have, I understand.

Did anyone ever think that the kids attitude on and off the court had anything to do with the voting. From what I was told From a source(My Mom) that works at Russell is that Britt had a very bad attitude and quit the team at Russell two times(once because she didn't think she was getting enough playing time as a frosh). The kindness in Kidwells's heart he allowed her to rejoin the team. After which her and her sister quit again and then went to Rose Hill. If you don't think that attitudes play a role in award voting then you have a very obscure way at looking at it. From all I can gather Britt is an average ball player with a way above average attitude problem, that is probably what lead to the not getting on the all area team. Just a veiw point of looking in from the outside.

Scooterbob, I have tried not to get into the specifics of why I believe certain coaches or players should or should not receive certain awards. Although I feel that my personal opinions are well supported by fact, my reasoning may be hurtful to certain coaches and players. I don’t feel that this is a useful purpose of a public forum.

However, I feel I can elaborate on my position without producing hard feelings. Scooter, in selecting a COY, you place a very high weight to how far the coach’s team gets in the postseason. This is a legitimate argument. This fact should be taken into consideration. However, IMO, postseason success is only one factor in a much bigger equation.

Now before I incur the wrath of RH fans throughout the tri state, let me say that I think that Coach Euton is a good coach, a very good person and treats the RH girls wonderfully. This is a huge part of coaching successful girls basketball and she should be commended. However, there is also an Xs and Os element that cannot be ignored.

Two years ago, RH advanced to the finals of state with Queen, Terry, and K. Faulkner (3 legitimate all state candidates) and B. Faulkner, Spradlin, and Yates (3 very talented role players). IMO, even an average coach (and remember I said that Euton was a good coach) could have achieved this success with this team.

This last year, RH had 2 Miss Basketball candidates and a player that many believe should have been an all-area selection. Throw in an excellent Xs and Os assistant coach and you have one heck of a team - a team that was ranked by one publication as being 3rd in the state preseason.

My point is, I have seen some teams end with sub 500 records and felt their coaches deserved coach of the year. With little available talent, these teams overachieved, due in large part to a great coaching job. Some people may not agree with me. After I make my decision, I feel that I have personally solved the puzzle. Another person may believe that the puzzle is still largely unsolved.

I have never stated that Euton should not receive COY, I have just said that it is not a given that she should receive it. Everyone has their own set of facts they follow in making their final decisions. Depending on a person’s viewpoint, several area coaches could be viable COY candidates, and I would support several of these selections

I am not sure that off the court attitude has anything to do with getting on the team or not. If your saying she is not a good enough player that is an opinion and it is the opinion of some that matters. Obviously those who vote did not think she was a top player.

As for Austydak's mother's opinion. I'm interested in knowing if she makes it a common practice expressing her opinion of a 14 year old child's attitude with others. If so it's not very professional. And it has no place in this or any thread.

That is just what I'm talking about close the threads when people disagree with you . I've read a few of your threads Royal Uncle you can dish it out but you can't take it. I have one more question will all of the R.H. fans show up next year when they are not as good as in the past?

That is just what I'm talking about close the threads when people disagree with you . I've read a few of your threads Royal Uncle you can dish it out but you can't take it. I have one more question will all of the R.H. fans show up next year when they are not as good as in the past?

As should probably be expected, marooncat, you miss the whole point of Uncle Royal's post. He is saying that it is detrimental for people to come on here and badmouth an eighteen year old girl. This is particularly true when those who are making the statements are basing their opinions on second, third, and fourth level heresay. I agree with Uncle Royal.

As for the fans supporting the team next year, I would suggest that the level of support will surpass the level "enjoyed" by your girls during these rather lean years that you have experienced of late. Do you anticipate better crowds over there next year since your girls may be contenders? If you do so, you will be the first. By that, I mean you will be the first to actually address the question. You will not be able to give a convincing and objective argument.

Scooterbob, I have tried not to get into the specifics of why I believe certain coaches or players should or should not receive certain awards. Although I feel that my personal opinions are well supported by fact, my reasoning may be hurtful to certain coaches and players. I don’t feel that this is a useful purpose of a public forum.

However, I feel I can elaborate on my position without producing hard feelings. Scooter, in selecting a COY, you place a very high weight to how far the coach’s team gets in the postseason. This is a legitimate argument. This fact should be taken into consideration. However, IMO, postseason success is only one factor in a much bigger equation.

Now before I incur the wrath of RH fans throughout the tri state, let me say that I think that Coach Euton is a good coach, a very good person and treats the RH girls wonderfully. This is a huge part of coaching successful girls basketball and she should be commended. However, there is also an Xs and Os element that cannot be ignored.

Two years ago, RH advanced to the finals of state with Queen, Terry, and K. Faulkner (3 legitimate all state candidates) and B. Faulkner, Spradlin, and Yates (3 very talented role players). IMO, even an average coach (and remember I said that Euton was a good coach) could have achieved this success with this team.

This last year, RH had 2 Miss Basketball candidates and a player that many believe should have been an all-area selection. Throw in an excellent Xs and Os assistant coach and you have one heck of a team - a team that was ranked by one publication as being 3rd in the state preseason.

My point is, I have seen some teams end with sub 500 records and felt their coaches deserved coach of the year. With little available talent, these teams overachieved, due in large part to a great coaching job. Some people may not agree with me. After I make my decision, I feel that I have personally solved the puzzle. Another person may believe that the puzzle is still largely unsolved.

I have never stated that Euton should not receive COY, I have just said that it is not a given that she should receive it. Everyone has their own set of facts they follow in making their final decisions. Depending on a person’s viewpoint, several area coaches could be viable COY candidates, and I would support several of these selections

You have done a fine job of dancing around the issue. Hypotheticals about sub.500 records, etc. are a smoke screen. Your post is to rationalize the exclusion of Coach B. I asked you to factually justify the choice of Coach A over Coach B. Leave out the dancing and address that comparison with facts.

Moroncat, I can take anything. In all of my threads, I have never made personal attacks aimed at the kids. I have trashed refs, coaches, and other posters, but these meaningless jabs at a high school kid are senseless.

The fan support will be about the same as this year. The Kittens support has always been about the same year in year out. a true fan will be at the game win or lose. I did not miss the point the 1st post started it all about who should be on the team. If we go back and put Britt on the team then who do we take off