Duke Lacrosse charges to be dropped...

Sure did...and it effected three young men's lives....

It actually affected quite a few more than three young men, although they are probably the most seriously affected. However, they are able to regain their credibility in the public eye, while the entire Duke Lacrosse team of last year lost their season and had their reputations tarninshed with no real chance of public vidication. In addition, the coach lost his job, and who knows what sort of long-lasting career reprecussions will follow him throughout the rest of his life.

Nfong quite simply is a shame to his profession.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coach deserved to lose his job, because while the young men were innocent of these charges (and being falsely accused of rape will follow you the rest of your life) that program was out of control. The party should never have happened in the first place, and there's every indication that the Duke Lacrosse team was pretty rowdy.

Just because they're innocent of this doesn't make them angels. Lets not swing the pendulum back to another unwarranted extreeme.

The coach deserved to lose his job, because while the young men were innocent of these charges (and being falsely accused of rape will follow you the rest of your life) that program was out of control. The party should never have happened in the first place, and there's every indication that the Duke Lacrosse team was pretty rowdy.

Just because they're innocent of this doesn't make them angels. Lets not swing the pendulum back to another unwarranted extreeme.

No one thinks they're angels, anymore than any would think any college student is an angel. But because of Nifong's actions, the entire lacrosse team, and these three men especially, will always live with the cloud of suspicion over their heads. There are many out there who don't care what the evidence says, they believe these men were capable of, and got away with, rape. We're not just talking about rowdy partying here. We're talking about criminal, violent action. Many people here on BGP believed them to be guilty before the first shred of "mis"-evidence was announced. People always want to believe the worst, and seem disappointed when the worst isn't the truth. So, they cling to the sensationalized, and ignore the mundane. One poster above already said "It's amazing what daddy's lawyers can do...." Isn't it amazing that was the remark, and not, "Thank God those kids had families who were able to hire lawyers who could defend them and get to the truth"?

No one thinks they're angels, anymore than any would think any college student is an angel. But because of Nifong's actions, the entire lacrosse team, and these three men especially, will always live with the cloud of suspicion over their heads. There are many out there who don't care what the evidence says, they believe these men were capable of, and got away with, rape. We're not just talking about rowdy partying here. We're talking about criminal, violent action. Many people here on BGP believed them to be guilty before the first shred of "mis"-evidence was announced. People always want to believe the worst, and seem disappointed when the worst isn't the truth. So, they cling to the sensationalized, and ignore the mundane. One poster above already said "It's amazing what daddy's lawyers can do...." Isn't it amazing that was the remark, and not, "Thank God those kids had families who were able to hire lawyers who could defend them and get to the truth"?
I still don't see how that pertained to my comment that the coach SHOULD have been fired.

I disagree, the coach has no control over what goes on on weekends especially if they do not live together in a sport specific dorm. Boys will be boys and always will, he and the rest of the team did not have to be punished. Over reaction is an understatement by Duke officials. The thing that bothers me is the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world who were quick to judge will never apoligize and say they were wrong.

I disagree, the coach has no control over what goes on on weekends especially if they do not live together in a sport specific dorm. Boys will be boys and always will, he and the rest of the team did not have to be punished. Over reaction is an understatement by Duke officials. The thing that bothers me is the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world who were quick to judge will never apoligize and say they were wrong.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

While I disagree that the party should merit a firing. I agree that Duke University has the right to make that judgement call, in order to maintain their morals and standards

I still don't see how that pertained to my comment that the coach SHOULD have been fired.

If the coach should be fired because a few of his team members had a rowdy off campus party that got out of hand there would be no coaches left in any sport at any school.

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Prosecutors dropped all charges Wednesday against the three Duke lacrosse players accused of sexually assaulting a stripper at a party, saying the athletes were innocent victims of a "tragic rush to accuse" by an overreaching district attorney.

"There were many points in the case where caution would have served justice better than bravado," North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said in a Word Filter ViolationWord Filter ViolationWord Filter ViolationWord Filter Violationing assessment of Durham County District Mike Nifong's handling of the sensational case.

Cooper, who took over the case in January after Nifong was charged with ethics violations that could get him disbarred, said his own investigation "led us to the conclusion that no attack occurred."

"I think a lot of people owe a lot of apologies to a lot of people," Cooper said. "I think those people ought to consider doing that."

http://sportsline.com/general/story/10120997

you are 100% correct...he was on strict warning at that time as it was.

If the coach should be fired because a few of his team members had a rowdy off campus party that got out of hand there would be no coaches left in any sport at any school.

This was the last straw in a long, long, line of on campus and off campus incidents.