How about Josh Hamilton...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Shelton

From a home run stand-point, great analogy. However, their athleticism is as different as Carl Lewis and the late John Candy. Secondly, Hamilton has been identified as having the tools for 8 years, many pegged Shelton as an aberration in spite of each booming homer.

Hamilton is either going to stick at this level (albeit, with modified results) or kill himself with a relapse, Chris Shelton (like water), found his level.

I don't think he can win comeback player of the year. He could win R.O.Y. He should at least merit an ESPY.

That is true. Even though he has been around, he has never spent a full season in the majors, so he could merit ROY, and just might do so.

I agree with the ESPY comment. To me it is slightly unfair to see him win ROY because obviously he shouldn't be a rookie. If not for his past troubles he would have broke into the league, probably as a Devil Ray three or four years ago. However, since he got his life under control again he finally pushed his way into the league, so even though this will be his first full season, making him eleigible for ROY, I think a comeback honor would be more suited for Hamilton and his scenario.

That is true. Even though he has been around, he has never spent a full season in the majors, so he could merit ROY, and just might do so.

I agree with the ESPY comment. To me it is slightly unfair to see him win ROY because obviously he shouldn't be a rookie. If not for his past troubles he would have broke into the league, probably as a Devil Ray three or four years ago. However, since he got his life under control again he finally pushed his way into the league, so even though this will be his first full season, making him eleigible for ROY, I think a comeback honor would be more suited for Hamilton and his scenario.

I don't think it would be unfair if he won R.O.Y. He is still only 25 and it takes most players to at least that age before they are making noise at the major league level. As far as I'm concerned, he's already won an ESPY for getting to where he is right now.

It's no different than Hideo Nomo pitching in Japan and coming here to win ROY.

There have been several players who toiled in the minors for a few years before winning ROY. No difference.