Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Griffey to Wear #42.....

Featured Replies

Tribute

 

Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ken Griffey, Jr. called Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig and received permission to wear uniform Number 42 on Sunday, April 15th to honor Jackie Robinson on the 60th anniversary of his Major League debut, it was announced today.

Commissioner Selig has expanded the gesture and extended an invitation to all Clubs to allow any of its members to wear Number 42 on Jackie Robinson Day, April 15th, as a tribute to Jackie and the history he made on that day 60 years ago.

 

"This is a wonderful gesture on Ken's part and a fitting tribute to the great Jackie Robinson and one, I believe, that all Clubs will eagerly endorse," Commissioner Selig said. "To make this happen, I gladly will temporarily suspend the official retirement of uniform Number 42 on that day.

Classy move!

A great gesture by Griffey.:thumb:

Yes, Griffey did this 10 years ago on Robinson's 50th anniversary.

I just saw this on cincinnatireds.com and was about to post it. This is a very classy move by Griffey, he was already pretty high on my respect chart but this moved him way up there. Great move Griffey.

Marty talked about it tonight and mentioned what a classy move it was on his part. I guess the Commish extended the offer to all teams who may want to do that.

Very classy move by Griffey and by the league for extending the invitation to all teams. :thumb:

So the starting fielders for any team could all have the same # (42) on that day???

So the starting fielders for any team could all have the same # (42) on that day???

 

lol

 

I would enjoy that, but nopers, I guess each team can have ONE player wear that number in honor of the great.

Griff is the man, he's all class.

 

:thumb:

Tribute

 

Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ken Griffey, Jr. called Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig and received permission to wear uniform Number 42 on Sunday, April 15th to honor Jackie Robinson on the 60th anniversary of his Major League debut, it was announced today.

Commissioner Selig has expanded the gesture and extended an invitation to all Clubs to allow any of its members to wear Number 42 on Jackie Robinson Day, April 15th, as a tribute to Jackie and the history he made on that day 60 years ago.

 

"This is a wonderful gesture on Ken's part and a fitting tribute to the great Jackie Robinson and one, I believe, that all Clubs will eagerly endorse," Commissioner Selig said. "To make this happen, I gladly will temporarily suspend the official retirement of uniform Number 42 on that day.

.......

All clubs & any member of a club.

.......

All clubs & any member of a club.

 

I can see your point and I didn't read it that closely, I can't imagine MLB allowing all 18 players to do that. Nothing against Jackie, but that might be a tad overkill.

I can see your point and I didn't read it that closely, I can't imagine MLB allowing all 18 players to do that. Nothing against Jackie, but that might be a tad overkill.

 

It's just for 1 day though right?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.